LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: Bowl Week #1 (12/19-12/24)

Nice sack by a former walkon punter turned linebacker. Another big play by Johnson to deflect the pass for a INT & TD return by Sylvester.

And a great INT by Johnson on the next defensive play! OTC you are right he just has a natural instinct to read the QB/play & get to the ball.
[ Edited by tohara3 on Dec 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice sack by a former walkon punter turned linebacker. Another big play by Johnson to deflect the pass for a INT & TD return by Sylvester.

And a great INT by Johnson on the next defensive play! OTC you are right he just has a natural instinct to read the QB/play & get to the ball.

Johnson played outstanding, and clearly upped his stock with that performanced. Two punishing hits, a tip causing an INT, an INT of his own. Just all over the field. The man is just big, too.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Utah LT Zane Beadles sure looks like a guard at the next level. He looked a bit off-balance on a number of pass plays in the first half. However, he looks terrific in run blocking. Body type really matches a guard. Arms appear short. Could be worth a look in the third round on.

I like Beadles' play. He's small for a tackle, and I imagine he probably will indeed move to guard at the next level. It's true his body type really does resemble a guard.

That last play I saw for Utah, he was giving some nice blocks, showing a bit of power keeping defenders away.

3rd might be a wee bit early, but not too early. I like Zane in the 4th.

Riley is horrendous, I can't see him improving enough to be a legitimate prospect any time soon. And Tucker looks fragile and like a guy who would often gator-arm passes in the NFL.

As I mentioned before, I think Tepper needs to move to guard.

I agree with Beadles as a fourth rounder. However, the team may need to reach if they feel he'll be off the board by the middle of the 4th. I see his greatest weakness as holding the edge with speed rushers.

Yeah, so I can understand if they took him in the 3rd. However, I'd prefer we go with a better value -- rather, the best value, actually -- at that pick. If Robert Johnson is there... pick him.

I'd much rather have a developing Johnson over Roman next year.
no Cal receiver should be a prospect, maybe Marvin Jones in a couple years with a better qb playing but Tucker Ross
wow Cal just played terrible.

how about that Ute safety tho? R. Johnson?! wooo he sure looked good! he basically ruined the Cal passing game! besides riley... Give him a look if he's there in the 3rd!
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Dec 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM ]
Syd'Quan Thompson got absolutely scorched by David Reed. Couldn't tackle, got burnt constantly. He dropped an entire round grade for me.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Johnson played outstanding, and clearly upped his stock with that performanced. Two punishing hits, a tip causing an INT, an INT of his own. Just all over the field. The man is just big, too.

Utah LT Zane Beadles sure looks like a guard at the next level. He looked a bit off-balance on a number of pass plays in the first half. However, he looks terrific in run blocking. Body type really matches a guard. Arms appear short. Could be worth a look in the third round on.

I like Beadles' play. He's small for a tackle, and I imagine he probably will indeed move to guard at the next level. It's true his body type really does resemble a guard.

That last play I saw for Utah, he was giving some nice blocks, showing a bit of power keeping defenders away.

3rd might be a wee bit early, but not too early. I like Zane in the 4th.

Riley is horrendous, I can't see him improving enough to be a legitimate prospect any time soon. And Tucker looks fragile and like a guy who would often gator-arm passes in the NFL.

As I mentioned before, I think Tepper needs to move to guard.

I agree with Beadles as a fourth rounder. However, the team may need to reach if they feel he'll be off the board by the middle of the 4th. I see his greatest weakness as holding the edge with speed rushers.

Yeah, so I can understand if they took him in the 3rd. However, I'd prefer we go with a better value -- rather, the best value, actually -- at that pick. If Robert Johnson is there... pick him.

I'd much rather have a developing Johnson over Roman next year.

I'm right there with you on that one, OTC!
Syd'Quan Thompson got absolutely scorched by David Reed. Couldn't tackle, got burnt constantly. He dropped an entire round grade for me.

honestly, he reminds me of damien hughes when he came out -- supposedly good, but just not quite NFL ready... or maybe just not NFL good

I've been one of his biggest supporters and I agree 100%, he was a HUGE letdown today along with Cal overall.

So it sounds like Beadle in the 3rd to 4th rounds if we want a guard. Johnson in the 3rd if we want a safety. Anybody else from Utah?

Any other realistic draft candidates for us in this game? I did not hear any good things about the Cal Oline or Dline. No Cal players showed well?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
So it sounds like Beadle in the 3rd to 4th rounds if we want a guard. Johnson in the 3rd if we want a safety. Anybody else from Utah?

Any other realistic draft candidates for us in this game? I did not hear any good things about the Cal Oline or Dline. No Cal players showed well?

DE/OLB Koa Misi had a pretty good game. Great hustle player, had at least one tackle for loss in the game, but he was in on a number of plays. The man can flat out fly for a 265 pound guy. The good thing is that he looks very natural dropping into coverage, as it's something he often does there at Utah. I really like Misi and Antonio Coleman (Auburn) as 3-4 Pass-rushing prospects to look at in the 4th-5th round.

Utah's WR David Reed set team records for catches and yards today as well -- could be a developmental guy to be taken in the 6th-7th, but no return experience so I'm not sure the 49ers are really interested.

Speaking of Reed what do you think of him? Round/how he would fit etc?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

In the post above, I was saying 6th-7th. He's a solid possession guy right now, but I think if developed right, he could turn into a Steve Smith (NYG) type of player because he runs his routes well and has good hands. Quick, deceptively fast but not a burner, and can take a hit.

As for tonight -- I'm picking SMU over Nevada. Sure, I could be wrong, but something tells me June Jones is going to enjoy the return to Hawaii. The Emmanuel Sanders kid has got some moves, let me tell ya, so keep all eyes on him. He's like a faster, slightly bigger Harry Douglas. He's one of the better players no one known about, and I'd be ecstatic to land him anywhere from the 5th-7th round.

Sanders has a chance to go over 1300 yards tonight. He has 91 catches for 1215, 6 TDs currently. His first punt return of the year went 79 yards for a TD. Hopefully on the big stage, he can continue his success.

For those of you who couldn't catch any of his games, YouTube is your friend for at least catching some of last year's highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo-AznJ73I (Poor quality up until about 1:50, which is where the better plays start anyway)

Highlights from SMU's opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZAcjfH2nKo
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM ]
Thanks alot OTC

In the post above, I was saying 6th-7th. He's a solid possession guy right now, but I think if developed right, he could turn into a Steve Smith (NYG) type of player because he runs his routes well and has good hands. Quick, deceptively fast but not a burner, and can take a hit.

As for tonight -- I'm picking SMU over Nevada. Sure, I could be wrong, but something tells me June Jones is going to enjoy the return to Hawaii. The Emmanuel Sanders kid has got some moves, let me tell ya, so keep all eyes on him. He's like a faster, slightly bigger Harry Douglas. He's one of the better players no one knowns about, and I'd be ecstatic to land him anywhere from the 5th-7th round.

Sanders has a chance to go over 1300 yards tonight. He has 91 catches for 1215, 6 TDs currently. His first punt return of the year went 79 yards for a TD. Hopefully on the big stage, he can continue his success.

For those of you who couldn't catch any of his games, YouTube is your friend for at least catching some of last year's highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo-AznJ73I (Poor quality up until about 1:50, which is where the better plays start anyway)

Thanks man. Extra thanks for finding that video of Sanders. His stats caught my interest like "damn this guy is pretty productive" and then a few of those draft sites say he has a fast 40 time. He looks pretty damn fast. Maybe he could be our stretch the field homeless man's DeSean Jackson?

As for tonight -- I'm picking SMU over Nevada. Sure, I could be wrong, but something tells me June Jones is going to enjoy the return to Hawaii. The Emmanuel Sanders kid has got some moves, let me tell ya, so keep all eyes on him. He's like a faster, slightly bigger Harry Douglas. He's one of the better players no one knowns about, and I'd be ecstatic to land him anywhere from the 5th-7th round.

Thanks man. Extra thanks for finding that video of Sanders. His stats caught my interest like "damn this guy is pretty productive" and then a few of those draft sites say he has a fast 40 time. He looks pretty damn fast. Maybe he could be our stretch the field homeless man's DeSean Jackson?

Not as fast as DeSean and about 10-15 pounds heavier, but he can still fly.

Game is on now -- Let's go SMU.
Share 49ersWebzone