LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: Bowl Week #1 (12/19-12/24)

Matthews has his first touchdown of the day, and goodness, Wyoming and Fresno sure don't like each other. This is a heated game. Lots of trash-talking going on.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
All eyes should be on OT Anthony Davis of Rutgers, who I believe will be the second most-likely player to be drafted by the 49ers this year with their top selection.

In that same game, Devin McCourty should be closely watched. He's going to be one of the faster CB's in this draft, and has really improved his game. He's a special teams star in kickoff return and has blocked numerous punts. He is a team leader, and Coach Schiano loves the kid. He also is a CB who excels in run support. The only question is whether the Niners could add punt returner to his role. If so, this is a solid, versatile prospect. Probably will end up a late second/early third rounder.

Great job MadDog. What pick do you think Davis will make it to in the 1st round?

Somewhere inside the top 15 picks. He will compete with Okung and Williams to be the first OT taken.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OTC, you might want to add UCF's two OLB/DE prospects to your list, senior Jarvis Geathers (6'2", 240) and junior Bruce Miller (6'2'", 250). They were 1-2 in both sacks (Miller had 12 to Geathers 11) and in tackles for loss (Miller finished with 16.5 and Geathers had 14).

I doubt Miller comes out this year, but you never know since he's a 4th year junior. Dude has a great motor and excellent quickness for an edge rusher.

You're absolutely right. I compiled this rather quickly so there may be others that I missed.

I had a list.. but accidentally deleted over my .txt file by overwriting it with some prospect profiles I was working on, pasted over my list with them.... Hitting "Save" instead of "Save as" cost me a couple hours of diligent work. :(

If anyone feels some others deserve be added, feel free to mention names. Ghost, I should mention, however, that I wasn't going to include Miller since he's only a junior.

You're right about Miller...I seriously doubt he declares. Then again, I didn't think Maybin would either last year...so what do I know????

Maybin really showed that he wasn't ready for the NFL, while Orakpo proved that he is the real deal. I've got to think the Bills will be kicking themselves for some time. Maybe, they and the Raiders can have a kicking contest.
McCourty is out after an injury. Doesn't sound good right now. That would be a shame. Meanwhile, Davis just overwhelms players. Just a big, athletic guy.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 19, 2009 at 17:46:41 ]
McCourty is out after an injury. Doesn't sound good right now. That would be a shame. Meanwhile, Davis just overwhelms players. Just a big, athletic guy.

Davis has really improved over the course of the season. He looks much less like he's "lumbering" out there. He's actually smooth in his kick-slide, he's locking on to his guy, just simply engulfing people. This is the top 15 performance we needed to see. Otherwise, he'd be a second-half-of-the-first kind of guy.

He plays like that all game? Well with that, his quickness at such a massive size show why he's likely to go in the top 10.

Davis has really improved over the course of the season. He looks much less like he's "lumbering" out there. He's actually smooth in his kick-slide, he's locking on to his guy, just simply engulfing people. This is the top 15 performance we needed to see. Otherwise, he'd be a second-half-of-the-first kind of guy.

He plays like that all game? Well with that, his quickness at such a massive size show why he's likely to go in the top 10.

Would David be a RT or better at LT? How do you compare him to Okung and Williams?
I think Tom Savage is gonna be a pretty high pick in a few years, I've watched a lot of Rutgers football this season and I like his game.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Would David be a RT or better at LT? How do you compare him to Okung and Williams?

Far better overall than Williams with exponentially more upside as well. Okung is easily the best all-around tackle prospect in the draft, but Davis will make a major run for being the #2 tackle taken.

Davis would probably be better suited for RT, as I feel he could be an instant starter for years to come if he began his NFL career there.
OTC, you might want to add UCF's two OLB/DE prospects to your list, senior Jarvis Geathers (6'2", 240) and junior Bruce Miller (6'2'", 250). They were 1-2 in both sacks (Miller had 12 to Geathers 11) and in tackles for loss (Miller finished with 16.5 and Geathers had 14).

I doubt Miller comes out this year, but you never know since he's a 4th year junior. Dude has a great motor and excellent quickness for an edge rusher.

You're absolutely right. I compiled this rather quickly so there may be others that I missed.

I had a list.. but accidentally deleted over my .txt file by overwriting it with some prospect profiles I was working on, pasted over my list with them.... Hitting "Save" instead of "Save as" cost me a couple hours of diligent work. :(

If anyone feels some others deserve be added, feel free to mention names. Ghost, I should mention, however, that I wasn't going to include Miller since he's only a junior.

You're right about Miller...I seriously doubt he declares. Then again, I didn't think Maybin would either last year...so what do I know????

Maybin really showed that he wasn't ready for the NFL, while Orakpo proved that he is the real deal. I've got to think the Bills will be kicking themselves for some time. Maybe, they and the Raiders can have a kicking contest.

It didn't help that Maybin held out so long, but you're right, he wasn't ready for the NFL....but I believe he will be eventually. I also think he's miscast as a 4-3 DE...if they play Maybin more like the Skins are playing Orakpo (some standup LB and rush DE), he's likely to have more success. Bottom line though, i wouldn't give up on Maybin after only 13 games.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 19, 2009 at 20:36:06 ]
How did David perform in the game?

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Mitch Unrein is the Wyoming Cowboys best defensive lineman hands down. Chris Prosinski(Jr.) is a tackling machine at safety and a great special teams player. Also, Marcell Gipson(Jr.) is small but he is a good cornerback with very good speed. He reminds me of Donald Strickland.

Far better overall than Williams with exponentially more upside as well. Okung is easily the best all-around tackle prospect in the draft, but Davis will make a major run for being the #2 tackle taken.

Davis would probably be better suited for RT, as I feel he could be an instant starter for years to come if he began his NFL career there.

Davis probably has more upside than any OT in this draft, the only question is desire and work ethic. Williams is probably the safer pick, but just doesn't present the high ceiling that Davis could offer a team.
How did David perform in the game?

Dominating. Just looked great.
Southern Miss is up by only a slim margin. Currently 17-14 against Mid Tennessee St. at the half.
Davis has scheduled a news conference for tomorrow (I think) where he will in all likelihood announce that he is entering the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone