LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 415 users in the forums

Restore the Franchise Draft and Offseason.

Scott should be fired on the spot if he drafts Dez Bryant and Taylor Mays with our 2 first round picks. Just awful. Bryant is good but we have greater needs and Mays is overrated and NOT worthy of a top 10-12 pick.

Substitute those 2 guys with Joe Haden and CJ Spiller and I would like everything else.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:01:39 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by hofer36:
i doubt marcus mcneil gets on the f/a market as bolts will lock him up...mankins is a more realistic possibility as pats dont overpay their vets as a general rule and he is a fresno state guy who surely knows by now he would have been the pick rather than david baas had pats not stolen him from under the niners

They also have Merriman up for FA and they can't franchise everybody. They also have Vincent Jackson up who is a monster WR. They just can't franchise everybody and lock everybody up. Something has to give here in S.D.

They will let Merriman walk (they drafted English in the 1st this year so he will compete for that job). They will look to lock up Jackson & McNeil longterm and one of those contracts will likely be done before the start of FA, if not both. If not one gets the tag but no way they let their franchise LT walk.
Thanks, interesting post. Many sites have Mays going to the Raiders and with Al holding the reins it seems consistent. So, Who are your alternate picks if each of these players are gone and the Chargers franchise thire LT.
Wow...I don't know where to begin.

Even if we're somehow able to sign McNeil and Mankins drafting Bryant there is a bad idea imo. We can do better drafting a quick slot guy later in the draft.

Hell if we somehow are able to sign Mankins and McNeil and can pretty much check off the OL issues we may as well trade down a bit and grab Spiller.

I dont think Jerry Hughes will be around in teh 2nd round but any draft that has him going to us I like.

And any draft that has Taylor Mays to us I HATE. The guy is all hype and speed. He's not even a big time hitter all the time. He goes after the smaller guys but he's no Ronnie Lott. Too much damn USC bias around here. Mays will be a terrible pick. No thanks.

I love how in your analysis you mention people should be able to do something just because they're fast enough. That's funny. Mays is fast but that doesn't mean he can cover well.

All in all I think the draft and offseason is pretty damn unrealistic.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by hofer36:
i doubt marcus mcneil gets on the f/a market as bolts will lock him up...mankins is a more realistic possibility as pats dont overpay their vets as a general rule and he is a fresno state guy who surely knows by now he would have been the pick rather than david baas had pats not stolen him from under the niners

They also have Merriman up for FA and they can't franchise everybody. They also have Vincent Jackson up who is a monster WR. They just can't franchise everybody and lock everybody up. Something has to give here in S.D.

They will let Merriman walk (they drafted English in the 1st this year so he will compete for that job). They will look to lock up Jackson & McNeil longterm and one of those contracts will likely be done before the start of FA, if not both. If not one gets the tag but no way they let their franchise LT walk.

They might not let Merriman walk. The 2nd year recovered from a knee injury is better than the 1st year. He may still be real good and they may want to keep him.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Sorry, Taylor Mays is the next Roy Williams, he didn't make plays when he had a 1st rd LB core in front of him, and he didn't make plays after they left. If we had to take a S at that pick I'll take Earl Thomas all day because he actually makes plays. Hughes won't last as late as people think after he dominates in his bowl game. there's just too many 3-4 teams now and they all need the same thing. Basically I don't like any of these picks.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Sorry, Taylor Mays is the next Roy Williams, he didn't make plays when he had a 1st rd LB core in front of him, and he didn't make plays after they left. If we had to take a S at that pick I'll take Earl Thomas all day because he actually makes plays. Hughes won't last as late as people think after he dominates in his bowl game. there's just too many 3-4 teams now and they all need the same thing. Basically I don't like any of these picks.

LOL But how do you really feel? I agree by the way.

We may have to take Hughes 1B if he runs well. And he may well do that. if so I'm fine with that. We need a pass rusher. IMO Mays is better than Roy Williams. He is much faster and more athletic.
im very skeptical that we get both mcneil and mankins, but if we do i'll call this the best free agent period ever. but i swear we better not draft mays that dude has bust from the get go. dude is nothing special in college other then his physical skills but what does that get him on the field??? ohhhhh big hits from time to time big deal.

We may have to take Hughes 1B if he runs well. And he may well do that. if so I'm fine with that. We need a pass rusher. IMO Mays is better than Roy Williams. He is much faster and more athletic.

I think the Roy Williams comparison is pretty fair. Mays has lousy ball skills, takes horrible angles and doesn't cover well. He doesn have excellent measurables though. I think taking Mays would be a big mistake. That said, he would be a great fit for the Raiders.

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im very skeptical that we get both mcneil and mankins, but if we do i'll call this the best free agent period ever. but i swear we better not draft mays that dude has bust from the get go. dude is nothing special in college other then his physical skills but what does that get him on the field??? ohhhhh big hits from time to time big deal.

I wouldn't call Mays a bust but I'm ok with going some different directions at 1B. The Chargers can't lock up everybody. Merriman is also a FA.
Your draft is very good but is dependant on FA moves of getting McNeil and Mankins. Unfortunately, I doubt it. But since a mock is just fantasy anyways, good job.
We fix the O Line in FA and use the draft for other things. Open the VAULT. Stop being cheap b***ards (Yorks).

Sign Marcus McNeil OT from Chargers. 6'8" 340 lbs.
Sign Logan Mankins OG from Patritos. 6'4" 310 lbs.

Own team.

Extend Patrick Willis.
Extend Aubrayo Franklin.
Extend Vernon Davis.
Extend Barry Sims. He's played well and our Tackles always get hurt.

Cut/trade/ship out of town/get rid of.

~ Arnaz Battle
~ Isaac Bruce
~ Brandon Jones
~ Possibly Michael Lewis or Mark Roman *** But I'm not completely sure on that one. We may need the depth at Safety and Lewis has been good when healthy.

Draft. (I don't see the point to posting 40 times because they have not run yet and there is lots of hype with University web sites and booster web sites. The true 40 times will come out in due time).

1A) Dez Bryant. WR 6'2" 220 lbs. (Oklahoma State) We are going to the spread offense and we need more weapons. We need legit WR's and we have one but we need another. Look at New Orleans. They have weapons all over the field. Today's NFL has all the rules in place for the offense. A dynamic and explosive offense will win championships.

1B) Taylor Mays. S 6'3" 230 lbs. (USC) We need a safety and Eric Berry is already off the board. We go with the next best option. He will knock people out coming across the middle and be a monster in our already strong run defense. He is fast enough to cover.

2) Jerry Hughes. OLB/DE 6'3" 257 lbs. (TCU) He can be a beast in the 3 - 4 system as a pass rusher. A non stop motor and good speed and athleticism. A definite need.

3) Jacoby Ford. WR 5'10" 185 lbs. (Clemson) He is fast enough and athletic enough to be our return man.

4) Eric Olsen. C 6'4" 303 lbs. (Notre Dame) Depth and he will push Heitman.
5) Leroy Vann. CB 5'9" 185 lbs. (Florida A&M) A speedy CB who does kickoff and punt returns as well.
6) Aaron Pettrey. K 6'2" 198 lbs. (Ohio State) Somebody who has been consistent and can push our kicker.
7) Legarrette Blount. RB 6'2" 246 lbs. (Oregon) His issues drop him this far but we could use a big back who can get tough yardage. We are terrible at 3rd and 1.

2010 Starters (New Starters in Bold).

Offense (Spread Offense)

QB Alex Smith 6'4" 217lbs.
RB Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
WR1-A Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
WR1-B Dez Bryant 6'2" 220lbs.
TE Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
WR3 Jason Hill 6'0" 202 lbs.
LT Marcus McNeil 6'8" 340 lbs.
LG Logan Mankins 6'4" 310 lbs.

C Eric Heitman 6'3" 312 lbs.
RG Chilo Rachal 6'4" 315 lbs.
RT Joe Staley 6'5" 315 lbs.

Defense

LDE Isaac Sopoaga 6'2" 330 lbs.
NT Aubrayo Franklin 6'1" 317 lbs.
RDE Justin Smith 6'4" 285 lbs.
OLB Manny Lawson 6'5" 240 lbs.
ILB Takeo Spikes 6'2" 242 lbs.
ILB Patrick Willis 6'1" 240 lbs.
OLB Jerry Hughes 6'3" 257 lbs.
CB Nate Clements 6'0" 205 lbs.
CB Shawntae Spencer 6'1" 190 lbs.
SS Taylor Mays 6'3" 230 lbs.
FS Dashon Goldson 6'2" 200 lbs.

Special Teams

P Andy Lee 6'0" 178 lbs.
K Joe Nedney 6'5" 234 lbs.
LS Brian Jennings 6'5" 242 lbs.
KR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.
PR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.

This is a much better football team than the current one. It addresses O Line, Pass Rush, Safety and KR/PR. It also addresses a move to the spread offense with more weapons.

im starting to really like this bryant idea, crabs and bryant would be scary, hopefully he off the board so we can get a need i guess, but if he is still there i just don't see how anybody can pass up a talent like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXYiZjT038

[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Dec 9, 2009 at 17:40:26 ]
We fix the O Line in FA and use the draft for other things. Open the VAULT. Stop being cheap b***ards (Yorks).

Sign Marcus McNeil OT from Chargers. 6'8" 340 lbs.
Sign Logan Mankins OG from Patritos. 6'4" 310 lbs.

Own team.

Extend Patrick Willis.
Extend Aubrayo Franklin.
Extend Vernon Davis.
Extend Barry Sims. He's played well and our Tackles always get hurt.

Cut/trade/ship out of town/get rid of.

~ Arnaz Battle
~ Isaac Bruce
~ Brandon Jones
~ Possibly Michael Lewis or Mark Roman *** But I'm not completely sure on that one. We may need the depth at Safety and Lewis has been good when healthy.

Draft. (I don't see the point to posting 40 times because they have not run yet and there is lots of hype with University web sites and booster web sites. The true 40 times will come out in due time).

1A) Dez Bryant. WR 6'2" 220 lbs. (Oklahoma State) We are going to the spread offense and we need more weapons. We need legit WR's and we have one but we need another. Look at New Orleans. They have weapons all over the field. Today's NFL has all the rules in place for the offense. A dynamic and explosive offense will win championships.

1B) Taylor Mays. S 6'3" 230 lbs. (USC) We need a safety and Eric Berry is already off the board. We go with the next best option. He will knock people out coming across the middle and be a monster in our already strong run defense. He is fast enough to cover.

2) Jerry Hughes. OLB/DE 6'3" 257 lbs. (TCU) He can be a beast in the 3 - 4 system as a pass rusher. A non stop motor and good speed and athleticism. A definite need.

3) Jacoby Ford. WR 5'10" 185 lbs. (Clemson) He is fast enough and athletic enough to be our return man.

4) Eric Olsen. C 6'4" 303 lbs. (Notre Dame) Depth and he will push Heitman.
5) Leroy Vann. CB 5'9" 185 lbs. (Florida A&M) A speedy CB who does kickoff and punt returns as well.
6) Aaron Pettrey. K 6'2" 198 lbs. (Ohio State) Somebody who has been consistent and can push our kicker.
7) Legarrette Blount. RB 6'2" 246 lbs. (Oregon) His issues drop him this far but we could use a big back who can get tough yardage. We are terrible at 3rd and 1.

2010 Starters (New Starters in Bold).

Offense (Spread Offense)

QB Alex Smith 6'4" 217lbs.
RB Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
WR1-A Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
WR1-B Dez Bryant 6'2" 220lbs.
TE Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
WR3 Jason Hill 6'0" 202 lbs.
LT Marcus McNeil 6'8" 340 lbs.
LG Logan Mankins 6'4" 310 lbs.

C Eric Heitman 6'3" 312 lbs.
RG Chilo Rachal 6'4" 315 lbs.
RT Joe Staley 6'5" 315 lbs.

Defense

LDE Isaac Sopoaga 6'2" 330 lbs.
NT Aubrayo Franklin 6'1" 317 lbs.
RDE Justin Smith 6'4" 285 lbs.
OLB Manny Lawson 6'5" 240 lbs.
ILB Takeo Spikes 6'2" 242 lbs.
ILB Patrick Willis 6'1" 240 lbs.
OLB Jerry Hughes 6'3" 257 lbs.
CB Nate Clements 6'0" 205 lbs.
CB Shawntae Spencer 6'1" 190 lbs.
SS Taylor Mays 6'3" 230 lbs.
FS Dashon Goldson 6'2" 200 lbs.

Special Teams

P Andy Lee 6'0" 178 lbs.
K Joe Nedney 6'5" 234 lbs.
LS Brian Jennings 6'5" 242 lbs.
KR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.
PR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.

This is a much better football team than the current one. It addresses O Line, Pass Rush, Safety and KR/PR. It also addresses a move to the spread offense with more weapons.

I can dig it
We certainly need Oline help and if we got two starters in FA would be great and if that were done we could focus on the rest of our needs. We need to spend a high draft pick on pass rush and backfield. If we could get Berry, Haden, Graham, Hughes, would be wonderful. We also need ILB, and PK/PR. I also think we need to start looking for a Kicker as well. We have a lot of needs, but our oline really needs to get fixed. I also think we need a new offensive line coach.
Share 49ersWebzone