LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Restore the Franchise Draft and Offseason.

We fix the O Line in FA and use the draft for other things. Open the VAULT. Stop being cheap b***ards (Yorks).

Sign Marcus McNeil OT from Chargers. 6'8" 340 lbs.
Sign Logan Mankins OG from Patritos. 6'4" 310 lbs.

Own team.

Extend Patrick Willis.
Extend Aubrayo Franklin.
Extend Vernon Davis.
Extend Barry Sims. He's played well and our Tackles always get hurt.

Cut/trade/ship out of town/get rid of.

~ Arnaz Battle
~ Isaac Bruce
~ Brandon Jones
~ Possibly Michael Lewis or Mark Roman *** But I'm not completely sure on that one. We may need the depth at Safety and Lewis has been good when healthy.

Draft. (I don't see the point to posting 40 times because they have not run yet and there is lots of hype with University web sites and booster web sites. The true 40 times will come out in due time).

1A) Dez Bryant. WR 6'2" 220 lbs. (Oklahoma State) We are going to the spread offense and we need more weapons. We need legit WR's and we have one but we need another. Look at New Orleans. They have weapons all over the field. Today's NFL has all the rules in place for the offense. A dynamic and explosive offense will win championships.

1B) Taylor Mays. S 6'3" 230 lbs. (USC) We need a safety and Eric Berry is already off the board. We go with the next best option. He will knock people out coming across the middle and be a monster in our already strong run defense. He is fast enough to cover.

2) Jerry Hughes. OLB/DE 6'3" 257 lbs. (TCU) He can be a beast in the 3 - 4 system as a pass rusher. A non stop motor and good speed and athleticism. A definite need.

3) Jacoby Ford. WR 5'10" 185 lbs. (Clemson) He is fast enough and athletic enough to be our return man.

4) Eric Olsen. C 6'4" 303 lbs. (Notre Dame) Depth and he will push Heitman.
5) Leroy Vann. CB 5'9" 185 lbs. (Florida A&M) A speedy CB who does kickoff and punt returns as well.
6) Aaron Pettrey. K 6'2" 198 lbs. (Ohio State) Somebody who has been consistent and can push our kicker.
7) Legarrette Blount. RB 6'2" 246 lbs. (Oregon) His issues drop him this far but we could use a big back who can get tough yardage. We are terrible at 3rd and 1.

2010 Starters (New Starters in Bold).

Offense (Spread Offense)

QB Alex Smith 6'4" 217lbs.
RB Frank Gore 5'9" 217 lbs.
WR1-A Michael Crabtree 6'1" 214 lbs.
WR1-B Dez Bryant 6'2" 220lbs.
TE Vernon Davis 6'3" 250 lbs.
WR3 Jason Hill 6'0" 202 lbs.
LT Marcus McNeil 6'8" 340 lbs.
LG Logan Mankins 6'4" 310 lbs.

C Eric Heitman 6'3" 312 lbs.
RG Chilo Rachal 6'4" 315 lbs.
RT Joe Staley 6'5" 315 lbs.

Defense

LDE Isaac Sopoaga 6'2" 330 lbs.
NT Aubrayo Franklin 6'1" 317 lbs.
RDE Justin Smith 6'4" 285 lbs.
OLB Manny Lawson 6'5" 240 lbs.
ILB Takeo Spikes 6'2" 242 lbs.
ILB Patrick Willis 6'1" 240 lbs.
OLB Jerry Hughes 6'3" 257 lbs.
CB Nate Clements 6'0" 205 lbs.
CB Shawntae Spencer 6'1" 190 lbs.
SS Taylor Mays 6'3" 230 lbs.
FS Dashon Goldson 6'2" 200 lbs.

Special Teams

P Andy Lee 6'0" 178 lbs.
K Joe Nedney 6'5" 234 lbs.
LS Brian Jennings 6'5" 242 lbs.
KR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.
PR Jacoby Ford 5'10" 185 lbs. or Leroy Vann 5'9" 185 lbs.

This is a much better football team than the current one. It addresses O Line, Pass Rush, Safety and KR/PR. It also addresses a move to the spread offense with more weapons.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 8, 2009 at 23:44:37 ]
We need more help in the secondary IMO, I like Bryant though. I'm not a big fan of Taylor Mays, we already have issues tackling and he's just like Goldson in that he's always looking to make the big hit, and he never wraps up. He also doesn't have too many ball skills and we need a play maker in center field. He only has one INT and 3 pass break ups on the season. He's a physical freak but he doesn't always play like it. Too much bust potential for me.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We need more help in the secondary IMO, I like Bryant though. I'm not a big fan of Taylor Mays, we already have issues tackling and he's just like Goldson in that he's always looking to make the big hit, and he never wraps up. He also doesn't have too many ball skills and we need a play maker in center field. He only has one INT and 3 pass break ups on the season. He's a physical freak but he doesn't always play like it. Too much bust potential for me.

When Taylor Mays hits people they go down trust me. Eric Berry is likely off the board already so nobody with extraordinary ball skills is available. Jerry Hughes helps our pass rush and he will therefore help our secondary as well. We will help our secondary with pass rush.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't think McCloughan or Singletary want a safety that goes for the hit instead of the tackle and instead of going for the ball. That's Dashon Goldson in a nutshell.

We need a ballhawk out there, and Mays's 4 career INTs is not what I'd call a ball hawk.

Plus, I don't personally see Hughes and Ford available at those spots...but anything is possible I guess.
i doubt marcus mcneil gets on the f/a market as bolts will lock him up...mankins is a more realistic possibility as pats dont overpay their vets as a general rule and he is a fresno state guy who surely knows by now he would have been the pick rather than david baas had pats not stolen him from under the niners
Originally posted by GEEK:
I don't think McCloughan or Singletary want a safety that goes for the hit instead of the tackle and instead of going for the ball. That's Dashon Goldson in a nutshell.

We need a ballhawk out there, and Mays's 4 career INTs is not what I'd call a ball hawk.

Plus, I don't personally see Hughes and Ford available at those spots...but anything is possible I guess.

It's possible Hughes goes much higher if he works out well and is real athletic. With that guy it's real conceivable. If so Hughes may have to be our guy at 1B. WE NEED A PASS RUSHER. We can't do this anymore with no pass rush year after year.

However it's also possible Hughes falls to early 2nd because he is an OLB / DE tweener. And he is big enough but not a huge guy. It's not completely unrealistic to think he could be found at the top of the 2nd. Again like I said that all depends on how he works out and we will have to adjust accordingly.

Ford is fast but he is a little guy and his production is good but not overwhelming. So I believe it's possible to get him around the 3rd. Of course if he runs real blazing he may go in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by hofer36:
i doubt marcus mcneil gets on the f/a market as bolts will lock him up...mankins is a more realistic possibility as pats dont overpay their vets as a general rule and he is a fresno state guy who surely knows by now he would have been the pick rather than david baas had pats not stolen him from under the niners

They also have Merriman up for FA and they can't franchise everybody. They also have Vincent Jackson up who is a monster WR. They just can't franchise everybody and lock everybody up. Something has to give here in S.D.
  • Sacramento49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

When Taylor Mays hits people they go down trust me. Eric Berry is likely off the board already so nobody with extraordinary ball skills is available. Jerry Hughes helps our pass rush and he will therefore help our secondary as well. We will help our secondary with pass rush.

Earl Thomas has extraordinary ball skills, and is already rated higher than Mays on most big boards.
Originally posted by Sacramento49er:

Earl Thomas has extraordinary ball skills, and is already rated higher than Mays on most big boards.

His size would be more FS mold. Taylor Mays would be a good SS. Just different roles out there. But I think Eric Berry will be gone.

Yeah Thomas is my guy, I like him a lot better than Mays. He's more of a ball hawk and with Mays you have the same problem we have now. 2 starting strong safeties, instead of a FS and a SS.

Yeah Thomas is my guy, I like him a lot better than Mays. He's more of a ball hawk and with Mays you have the same problem we have now. 2 starting strong safeties, instead of a FS and a SS.

He is a possibility. Or Goldson could be replaced by Mays. Goldson is real good at times but he also is a little overrated. I don't think both of our Safety's are that good. But we won't be able to get replacements for both. It's one or the other for the offseason I think.
If we got Mankins and Mc'Neil I'd s**t myself.

and i'd vote for CJ Spiller if he were available at our 2nd 1st round pick or 1st 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
If we got Mankins and Mc'Neil I'd s**t myself.

and i'd vote for CJ Spiller if he were available at our 2nd 1st round pick or 1st 2nd round pick.

I like C.J. Spiller and I was debating whether or not to take him at 1B or 2. He would be ok with me. IMO you will have to take him at 1B because he is so fast he likely won't make it to the 2nd round.

Sign Marcus McNeil OT from Chargers. 6'8" 340 lbs.
Sign Logan Mankins OG from Patritos. 6'4" 310 lbs.

1A) Dez Bryant. WR 6'2" 220 lbs. (Oklahoma State) We are going to the spread offense and we need more weapons. We need legit WR's and we have one but we need another. Look at New Orleans. They have weapons all over the field. Today's NFL has all the rules in place for the offense. A dynamic and explosive offense will win championships.
1B) Taylor Mays. S 6'3" 230 lbs. (USC) We need a safety and Eric Berry is already off the board. We go with the next best option. He will knock people out coming across the middle and be a monster in our already strong run defense. He is fast enough to cover.
2) Jerry Hughes. OLB/DE 6'3" 257 lbs. (TCU) He can be a beast in the 3 - 4 system as a pass rusher. A non stop motor and good speed and athleticism. A definite need.
3) Jacoby Ford. WR 5'10" 185 lbs. (Clemson) He is fast enough and athletic enough to be our return man.
4) Eric Olsen. C 6'4" 303 lbs. (Notre Dame) Depth and he will push Heitman.
5) Leroy Vann. CB 5'9" 185 lbs. (Florida A&M) A speedy CB who does kickoff and punt returns as well.
6) Aaron Pettrey. K 6'2" 198 lbs. (Ohio State) Somebody who has been consistent and can push our kicker.
7) Legarrette Blount. RB 6'2" 246 lbs. (Oregon) His issues drop him this far but we could use a big back who can get tough yardage. We are terrible at 3rd and 1.

1. I love Dez so no problems there
2. Mays I have a big problem with and would rather take Hughes there and go after a different Safety in the 2nd like Allen from USF or Burnett from GT
3. I love Ford so no problems there
4. Being a ND fan obviously I have no problem with this pick but I would rather pull the trigger on another DB here instead of at 5. For instance if available Cox from OSU, Murphy from USF, or McManis from Northwestern.
5. See above and Olsen could be available here as well
6. Don't waste a draft pick on a kicker
7. Considering this is more of a flier I have no issues here.
Let's stay away from Taylor Mays. For ever big hit, he misses two tackles because he's not wrapping up. He's also been bad in coverage. He's good against the run, but doesn't have the coverage skills to stick with NFL receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone