There are 110 users in the forums

"Our Playoff Hopes are Dead" Mock Draft 12-7

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Our 5 biggest needs:

-RT (elite right tackles are mostly found in the top 15)
-S (eric berry is a top 10 pick)
-RG (can be found in free agency)
-CB (can be found in 2nd)
-RB (can be found in 2nd)

So Lawson/Brooks will give us the pass rush we need?

Just asking.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jreff22:
There's no way Cleveland passes on the top-rated QB (either Clausen or Locker) to take a d-lineman. They might try and trade down and settle for Bradford, but I really can't see them going into next year without the QB of the future/present on their roster.

Quinn is playing much better after his benching.

Hmmm, he had a great game against the Lions (worst defense in the NFL) a few weeks ago, and a played well yesterday, but he was awful against the Bengals just 2 weeks ago.

I look at this like his real rookie year...mistakes will happen and that team has 0 running game and 1 playmaker in Cribbs. Kind of like an early Alex, if he gets some weapons he can be good.

I definitely think Quinn could eventually be a good QB in this league, but I'm not so sure the Browns management think so...and with the recent relative success of rookie Qbs like Ryan, Flacco, Stafford and Sanchez, it's going to be harder for them to pass on someone like Clausen/Locker/Bradford (IMO).

The only guy worthy of #1 is Clausen (IMO). I find it difficult to think they draft another ND QB this soon. I have said many many times I think Weis ends up in Cle as well. Another point I have beaten to death is the lack of RB, Lewis is retiring and they need a playmaker badly. My guess now is Cle trades #1 with Wash #5, Wash takes Clausen in fear of what St Louis would do and Cle goes after Spiller. But who knows...........?
Based on some of the initial feedback, would this be more accurate:

1. WAS - Trade up! Whomever takes over this team is going to pick their QB of the future - Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
2. TB - Lucky them, the Bucs get the best pro prospect IMO - Ndamakong Suh DT Nebraska
3. STL - This pick has to be a QB, so which one is best? Total package of physical tools and upside - Jake Locker QB Washington
4. DET - They need big help on both lines, so they take the next best DT - Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
5. CLE - Browns trade down and pick the biggest gamebreaker available over a QB- CJ Spiller RB Clemson
6. KC - Do they take an OT or the second best player in the draft to help their defense? - Eric Berry DB Tennessee
7. BUF - This pick could be a QB, OL or WR based on their needs. My guess is - Russell Okung OT Oklahoma St.
8. OAK - The Raiders always go for the freakish athletes - Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
9. DEN (from CHI) - Denver adds to their developing defense to replace bust Jarvis Moss - Derrick Morgan OLB/DE Georgia Tech
10. SF (from CAR) - Niners need to fix their offensive line FIRST - Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
11. SEA - The Seahawks get their QB of the future - Sam Bradford QB
12. SF - With RT handled, who do you take? Joe Haden, Dez Bryant, Mike Iupati or someone else?

Resign/Retain:
Barry Sims
A. Franklin
A. Brooks

[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 7, 2009 at 14:46:00 ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Our 5 biggest needs:

-RT (elite right tackles are mostly found in the top 15)-S (eric berry is a top 10 pick)
-RG (can be found in free agency)
-CB (can be found in 2nd)
-RB (can be found in 2nd)

1st point is just not true. Elite RTs are found all over the place, rarely does a team draft in the top 15 with the hopes of landing a tackle that they plan on using on the right side long term, they generally take a guy and play him on the right with hopes he can play LT, like a Brandon Albert type.
I can't believe that you don't think a pass rusher is a top 5 need.
I want a top OT and CJ Spiller.
Id really like Eric Berry in our secondary!
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Id really like Eric Berry in our secondary!

So does about every other GM and fan.
I'd go:

Round 1 (a) - Eric Berry - S (move Goldson to SS)
Round 1 (b) - CJ Spiller - RB/KR (backup RB, top KR)
Round 2 - Javier Arenas - CB/PR (slot CB, top PR)
Round 3 - best 3-4 OLB pass rusher available
Round 4 - best OL available
Round 5 - best DL available

Free agency:
- Sign best RT on the market
- Sign veteran ILB to backup McKillop
I'd go:

Free agency:

I think there is 0 chance Berry falls. Then again, we did land Crabtree, and noone saw that coming in Dec '08
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'd go:

Free agency:

I think there is 0 chance Berry falls. Then again, we did land Crabtree, and noone saw that coming in Dec '08

Correction... I did!

SEE...

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 7, 2009 at 16:31:28 ]

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Give me Spiller instead of Morgan or trade down. We can pick up an OLB in round 2. There's a bunch of different guys this year. Jerry Hughes, Morgan, Kindle, Greg Hardy, Ricky Sapp, Brandon Graham, Eric Norwood, and George Selvie just to name a few. But Spiller? Man IMO that guy has star potential, he's not too small and at the same time he has break away speed. He could fit in our offense and he can be a returner too.

I wouldn't mind trade one of those way back to lower first round though and seeing if we can pick up another 2nd. That's if we already have one of Spiller/Berry/Bryant/Okung etc.(basically a player that would be a steal). Unless a guy that's bust proof is on the table, I'm cool with trading back.

I agree with this! I want CJ Spiller! We can get o-line & pass rush after that.
I'd go:

Free agency:

If Berry is there, the Niners have to take him just like Crabtree. I agree with Rollin, the chances of that happening are slim at best. Picking Spiller AND Arenas in the same draft would be a little overkill.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I'd go:

Free agency:

If Berry is there, the Niners have to take him just like Crabtree. I agree with Rollin, the chances of that happening are slim at best. Picking Spiller AND Arenas in the same draft would be a little overkill.

Overkill? In Spiller you can get a potential starting RB who is similar in size/skill/speed to Marshall Faulk who just happens to be an excellent KR, and with Arenas you get a solid nickel CB (and potential starter down the road) who is one of the best punt returners in NCAA history.

Now, if these guys could only play special teams I would agree, but they're both excellent positional prospects as well who just happen to bring immediate impact ability in the return game. I'm thinking both short-term and long-term with those picks...

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 7, 2009 at 22:42:40 ]
I'd go:

Free agency:

Overkill? In Spiller you can get a potential starting RB who is similar in size/skill/speed to Marshall Faulk who just happens to be an excellent KR, and with Arenas you get a solid nickel CB (and potential starter down the road) who is one of the best punt returners in NCAA history.

Now, if these guys could only play special teams I would agree, but they're both excellent positional prospects as well who just happen to bring immediate impact ability in the return game. I'm thinking both short-term and long-term with those picks...

Point taken, Ghost. I was definitely referring to the special teams when I wrote that. I still have a hard time with the Spiller pick because we have Gore, but that could change if Gore continues to disappear the rest of this season. Arenas would be a great pickup as a CB in the third round, not the second. Pass rush has to be a priority and there should be some good options in the second round.
I'd go:

Free agency:

Point taken, Ghost. I was definitely referring to the special teams when I wrote that. I still have a hard time with the Spiller pick because we have Gore, but that could change if Gore continues to disappear the rest of this season. Arenas would be a great pickup as a CB in the third round, not the second. Pass rush has to be a priority and there should be some good options in the second round.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a pass rusher in the 2nd and going with another DB/PR later (though I'm not sure that Arenas will last until the 3rd....especially if he does well in the Senior Bowl and combine). I just think that the 3 OLB pass rushers we have (Haralson, Lawson and Brooks) are actually starting to develop (even Briggs looks explosive off the ball and will be much better with a year of pro football under his belt), and so I'm not really sure that this is as great a need as once thought. I admit I could be wrong, though.

It's really clear to me though that we need more young talent in the secondary, some playmakers on special teams and speed in the running game.

In terms of the o-line, I think we should sign a veteran to plug the hole at RT and look for interior talent later in the draft.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 7, 2009 at 23:05:28 ]
Share 49ersWebzone