"Our Playoff Hopes are Dead" Mock Draft 12-7

Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'd go:

Round 1 (a) - Eric Berry - S (move Goldson to SS)
Round 1 (b) - CJ Spiller - RB/KR (backup RB, top KR)
Round 2 - Javier Arenas - CB/PR (slot CB, top PR)
Round 3 - best 3-4 OLB pass rusher available
Round 4 - best OL available
Round 5 - best DL available

Free agency:
- Sign best RT on the market
- Sign veteran ILB to backup McKillop

I think there is 0 chance Berry falls. Then again, we did land Crabtree, and noone saw that coming in Dec '08

If Berry is there, the Niners have to take him just like Crabtree. I agree with Rollin, the chances of that happening are slim at best. Picking Spiller AND Arenas in the same draft would be a little overkill.

Overkill? In Spiller you can get a potential starting RB who is similar in size/skill/speed to Marshall Faulk who just happens to be an excellent KR, and with Arenas you get a solid nickel CB (and potential starter down the road) who is one of the best punt returners in NCAA history.

Now, if these guys could only play special teams I would agree, but they're both excellent positional prospects as well who just happen to bring immediate impact ability in the return game. I'm thinking both short-term and long-term with those picks...

Point taken, Ghost. I was definitely referring to the special teams when I wrote that. I still have a hard time with the Spiller pick because we have Gore, but that could change if Gore continues to disappear the rest of this season. Arenas would be a great pickup as a CB in the third round, not the second. Pass rush has to be a priority and there should be some good options in the second round.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a pass rusher in the 2nd and going with another DB/PR later (though I'm not sure that Arenas will last until the 3rd....especially if he does well in the Senior Bowl and combine). I just think that the 3 OLB pass rushers we have (Haralson, Lawson and Brooks) are actually starting to develop (even Briggs looks explosive off the ball and will be much better with a year of pro football under his belt), and so I'm not really sure that this is as great a need as once thought. I admit I could be wrong, though.

It's really clear to me though that we need more young talent in the secondary, some playmakers on special teams and speed in the running game.

In terms of the o-line, I think we should sign a veteran to plug the hole at RT and look for interior talent later in the draft.

You've seen Briggs play, or just based on reports?
^^ Was referring to his play in the pre-season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need to place all (or even any of) our chips on Briggs developing into a top-flight pass rusher...just saying that he's a nice young talent worth developing.

My comment is mostly around the fact that I don't see a lot of big-time pass rushers in this draft, or at least the kind that warrant a real high pick. I think Sergio Kindle is a great athlete and has all the tools, but the lack of production in his senior season is troubling. Brandon Sharpe, Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes are intriguing, but I'm not completely sold on them as being that much better than the next tier, and Greg Hardy is an enigma.

There will be some guys after the 2nd round worth considering (Von Miller if he declares, Eric Norwood, Brandon Lang, Antonio Coleman, Jarvis Geathers and even Aaron Morgan), but nobody stands out to me as being able to come in immediately and clearly unseat Parys/Manny/Brooks.

[ Edited by GoFD74 on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:00:02 ]
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Our 5 biggest needs:

-RT (elite right tackles are mostly found in the top 15)
-S (eric berry is a top 10 pick)
-RG (can be found in free agency)
-CB (can be found in 2nd)
-RB (can be found in 2nd)

If you have a left handed QB.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
^^ Was referring to his play in the pre-season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need to place all (or even any of) our chips on Briggs developing into a top-flight pass rusher...just saying that he's a nice young talent worth developing.

My comment is mostly around the fact that I don't see a lot of big-time pass rushers in this draft, or at least the kind that warrant a real high pick. I think Sergio Kindle is a great athlete and has all the tools, but the lack of production in his senior season is troubling. Brandon Sharpe, Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes are intriguing, but I'm not completely sold on them as being that much better than the next tier, and Greg Hardy is an enigma.

There will be some guys after the 2nd round worth considering (Von Miller if he declares, Eric Norwood, Brandon Lang, Antonio Coleman, Jarvis Geathers and even Aaron Morgan), but nobody stands out to me as being able to come in immediately and clearly unseat Parys/Manny/Brooks.

Crazy you say this. Von Miller and Norwood are the only 2 pass rushers I see that I want.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Our 5 biggest needs:

-RT (elite right tackles are mostly found in the top 15)
-S (eric berry is a top 10 pick)
-RG (can be found in free agency)
-CB (can be found in 2nd)
-RB (can be found in 2nd)

It's very rare when I say this to you -- but I *respectfully* disagree.

A good pass rusher makes average players at safety, corner and linebacker look GREAT.

Bill Walsh knew this -- which is why he started first with players like Dwaine Board -- and later Fred Dean -- and later Charles Haley. Those were the first pieces he always looked for. Someone who could rush the QB on a consistent basis and disrupt the passing game.

Our biggest need is someone who can rush the passer consistently -- game in and game out. Until we get that player you can draft all the safeties -- corners and linebackers you want. They will not be effective until you can rush the QB and disrupt the passing game.
Share 49ersWebzone