There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree, WR depth, and the what ifs!

Draft Day- As it came closer and closer to the 10th pick i was pretty hyped about us picking up M. Crabtree, and i'm really pleased that we picked up a future playmaker for the 49ers.

Lately- I was thinking. What if with the 10th pick we had locked up Orakpo which went 11th. The talks of not having another dominant pass rusher would be sealed. I personally feel he will be the Defensive rookie of the year especially with Albert Haynesworth in the middle ( I also say that cause CURRY is on the Seahawks! gotta hate the Seahawks.)

Anyways with all that's said, I'm happy with Crabtree and the depth or maybe even the over depth we have at Wide out. but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?
FWIW as it stands right now Orakpo is being tried as a SAM and moves to DE in nickel situations. It could change but that was the latest I heard on him.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?

huh?
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Draft Day- As it came closer and closer to the 10th pick i was pretty hyped about us picking up M. Crabtree, and i'm really pleased that we picked up a future playmaker for the 49ers.

Lately- I was thinking. What if with the 10th pick we had locked up Orakpo which went 11th. The talks of not having another dominant pass rusher would be sealed. I personally feel he will be the Defensive rookie of the year especially with Albert Haynesworth in the middle ( I also say that cause CURRY is on the Seahawks! gotta hate the Seahawks.)

Anyways with all that's said, I'm happy with Crabtree and the depth or maybe even the over depth we have at Wide out. but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?

Orakpo went 11th? I thought Maybin was takened 11th (Buffalo). Orakpo went to the deadskins a few picks later.

[ Edited by kronik on Jun 17, 2009 at 14:53:53 ]
Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?

huh?

do u think he woulda been a better fit for our needs over picking the best player on the board. cause i personally think hes gonna be a stud. and our depth at wr is 8 deep. i hope and pray crabtree pans out to be a playmaker. its just hard to see that happen with all the recievers we already have, the run offense we know were going to run and not having a qb set in stone must be hard. i just wanna see the players get in pads and start going full speed. football we miss u!
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Draft Day- As it came closer and closer to the 10th pick i was pretty hyped about us picking up M. Crabtree, and i'm really pleased that we picked up a future playmaker for the 49ers.

Lately- I was thinking. What if with the 10th pick we had locked up Orakpo which went 11th. The talks of not having another dominant pass rusher would be sealed. I personally feel he will be the Defensive rookie of the year especially with Albert Haynesworth in the middle ( I also say that cause CURRY is on the Seahawks! gotta hate the Seahawks.)

Anyways with all that's said, I'm happy with Crabtree and the depth or maybe even the over depth we have at Wide out. but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?

Orakpo went 11th? I thought Maybin was takened 11th (Buffalo). Orakpo went to the deadskins a few picks later.

you're right! maybin went 11th. and orakpo went 13th... thanks for the fix up!
i heard the niners were looking at maybin with our pick. looks like he's gonna be a sam backer too and most likely de on the nickel! maybins a bit smaller then orakpo but has some long arms!
Orakpo is tremendously over-rated. Get off the guy. A LOT of people were saying Crabtree was the best player in the entire draft. A LOT. And it's arguable. We got a steal. If we passed on him, it would have been as dumb as the raiders passing on him to grab a different WR.
All I know is we got the right guy at 10.
Ya..Orakpo went at 13.

TO answer your question, Crabtree was the best possible pick.

I reaaly don't like Orakpo. He's a workout warrior, not a player.

Crabtree is the opposite...he's a player, not a workout warrior.

Even tho I still have high hopes for him, Orakpo reminds me of Vernon Davis...its all about the Potential.

Crabtree reminds me of Gore...its all about production and heart. Its all about the "want to".
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
All I know is we got the right guy at 10.
Even though Orakpo looks like a beast, he's more of a question mark than Crabtree. Crabtree's production is off the charts. Crabtree cries if he can't practice and wants to emulate Jerry Rice. We got the right guy.
I just don't think Orakpo can play linebacker. He's very stiff and has problems changing directions (as seen at the NFL combine). It was wise to pass on Orakpo. I would have takened Maybin ahead of Orakpo anyday, but not ahead of Crabtree.

This is good for Orakpo though, I think he'll be good at 4-3 DE.

[ Edited by kronik on Jun 17, 2009 at 15:50:28 ]
  • walther88
  • Info N/A
Why is it that everybody keeps saying we finally have "depth" at the WR position?! Plz tell me where, wat we have is wat I call "promising" depth cuz noone has ever done anything. Jason hill is promising! Old man bruce isn't getting better morgan for those who forget had a dozen passes go rite threw his hands being afraid of contact(props for great catches he did have) jones is a overpaid nobody and injured prone, and we still haven't seen crabtree play! Again promising depth! not to be confused with "great" depth I believe in crabs and jason hill but other than that I'm worried if VD is gonna be the TE we all hope he is. Love wat MS is doing. But unless our OL cums up and plays like the potential it has then I believe will make the playoffs if nt then will be 6-10 at best. I love the niners but I'm a realist
Originally posted by walther88:
Why is it that everybody keeps saying we finally have "depth" at the WR position?! Plz tell me where, wat we have is wat I call "promising" depth cuz noone has ever done anything. Jason hill is promising! Old man bruce isn't getting better morgan for those who forget had a dozen passes go rite threw his hands being afraid of contact(props for great catches he did have) jones is a overpaid nobody and injured prone, and we still haven't seen crabtree play! Again promising depth! not to be confused with "great" depth I believe in crabs and jason hill but other than that I'm worried if VD is gonna be the TE we all hope he is. Love wat MS is doing. But unless our OL cums up and plays like the potential it has then I believe will make the playoffs if nt then will be 6-10 at best. I love the niners but I'm a realist

how about the greatest depth the 49ers have had in many many years. that ok?