There are 204 users in the forums

taylor mays

I agree. He's very talented, but in terms of what he'd bring to a team, I don't see him as a top-10 pick.

If Goldson keeps playing the way he has, his job is secure. Unless Michael Lewis has a poor season or is hampered by more injuries, I don't think he'll be much of a priority for us. I think a duo of Goldson (FS) and Mays (SS) would be intriguing; however, IMO, he'd have to fall later in the 1st before we'd pull the trigger on him.

Physically, I'd compare him to Laron Landry, but he doesn't have the ball skills or the range of Landry.
To all those that think Mays isnt a top ten pick must not forget that the Raiders will probably be picking in the top 10 so he could easily be a top 10 or top 5 pick. But he is very overrated and I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt end up like Darnell Bing.
Originally posted by redmanc07:
I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt end up like Darnell Bing.

exactly what i was going to suggest..
I am of course biased towards Eric Berry, being a UT alum and hardcore fan. I know Taylor Mays has the perfect size, and "supposedly" runs in the 4.3 range.....but I honestly dont see what he has done to warrant being considered the best FS prospect in college football. He has had some nice hard hits, sure......but what else has he done? He certainly doesnt scare anyone in coverage man to man, and he never picks off any passes. I admittedly havent saw SC play many games on TV.....but he seems like kind of a glorified LB in many ways. There is no denying his physical stats, but I just simply dont think he has backed it up with tangible stats or production on the field that should be expected of one of the "best safeties" in the college game. EB has done nothing but produce since his true freshman year, all without nearly the talent around him that Mays have. It should be MUCH easier for teams to avoid EB scheme wise, but not many have been successful. I was REALLY hoping the 49ers could end up drafting EB after this season, but if the 9ers keep playing as good defensively as they did on Sunday, I dont think he will be around when we pick. I say lets package the (2) #1's and move up to get him.....we KNOW he at least isnt gonna hold out on us like this Crabtree idiot.
He really does. He has no instincts, he misses TONS of tackles. I am in LA and I see USC games all the time. The guy is a ghost out there. Thank God scouts are finally starting to notice how bad he is. I cringe every time I see a mock with the 49ers drafting him.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
5 picks in 4 years is Mark Roman quality ball-hawking. People love him because he's big and fast.
Yep. Big, fast, misses tackles, poor instincts, no football IQ.... what's not to love?
I wouldn't say he sucks.

But he is def. not Eric Berry.

If we somehow land Eric Berry and Joe Haden (my dream draft), I can't see us not making the playoffs next year.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
NFL Draft Scout.com has Mays ranked as the best player in the 2010 draft. That does not include Juniors though.

interesting
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt end up like Darnell Bing.

exactly what i was going to suggest..

I was wondering the same thing, but Mays has WAY more athletic abilities, because Mays is coming into the league already one of the most athletic players at his position in the league!

Plus Ronnie lott might mentor him

Mays is a Niner! Get over it doubters!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Did you hate the signing of M lewis? Then you should hate this draft pick. If you liked Michael lewis in any way/shape/or form, you should love this pick. He is a far better player with a larger upside. If you posted that you hated the M lewis signing, feel free to continue your b***hing.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Did you hate the signing of M lewis? Then you should hate this draft pick. If you liked Michael lewis in any way/shape/or form, you should love this pick. He is a far better player with a larger upside. If you posted that you hated the M lewis signing, feel free to continue your b***hing.

mays is nothing like michael lewis
Mays has size, speed and talent...Singletary really likes his potential to be a disruptive S, at either position. He'll get the right coaching to improve his pass coverage and achieve more consistent tackling. He and Goldson could become one of the premier S tandems...only time will tell, though.
I'm excited for...the safety blitz!!
Share 49ersWebzone