LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 164 users in the forums

taylor mays

Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt end up like Darnell Bing.

exactly what i was going to suggest..

When people make this comparison it just makes me laugh.

Mays may never amount to anything, but he is NOTHING like Darnell Bing.

Bing was SSLLOOWW. He was drafted as an OLB because he was so slow. Bing wasn't physical enough to play LB and not fast enough to play DB.

Mays doesn't have good speed, he has ELITE speed. Time will tell if he can improve in coverage and learn to wrap up when tackling...but if he fails it WILL NOT be for the same reasons Bing did.

So many people on this site love to mention Bing because he was a USC safety who didn't make it. Do you want to hear about a few other USC safeties? How about these names...

Ronnie Lott
Dennis Smith
Joey Browner
Tim McDonald
Mark Carrier
Troy Polamalu

Thats like what...20 or 25 pro bowl selections? Can we get over the Darnell Bing thing now?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on May 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Nuns:
Did you hate the signing of M lewis? Then you should hate this draft pick. If you liked Michael lewis in any way/shape/or form, you should love this pick. He is a far better player with a larger upside. If you posted that you hated the M lewis signing, feel free to continue your b***hing.

mays is nothing like michael lewis

Why? He's a bit bigger and alot faster. Lewis is probably a better tackler right now, but they both struggle in coverage (and thats the reason the Eagles let him go to begin with).
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Nuns:
Did you hate the signing of M lewis? Then you should hate this draft pick. If you liked Michael lewis in any way/shape/or form, you should love this pick. He is a far better player with a larger upside. If you posted that you hated the M lewis signing, feel free to continue your b***hing.

mays is nothing like michael lewis

Why? He's a bit bigger and alot faster. Lewis is probably a better tackler right now, but they both struggle in coverage (and thats the reason the Eagles let him go to begin with).

I agree. I wasn't very excited about Mays before the draft, but he does fit our defense well. We don't use typical, coverage safeties. Our guys roam, then attack. Even if Lewis didn't come down and play in the box too often (presnap), he was always around the LOS after the snap. That style fits Mays' abilities.

However, I'm hopeful that Mays will improve our pass defense because he has the speed and range to play over the top. How many times did we see our CBs (especially Nate) give up a deep ball, only to have Roman or Lewis get there a second too late? Mays may never be know for his Ints, but if he can improve our pass defense by limiting the amount of big plays we give up, it's a great pick, IMO.

Bing was SSLLOOWW. He was drafted as an OLB because he was so slow. Bing wasn't physical enough to play LB and not fast enough to play DB.

Mays doesn't have good speed, he has ELITE speed. Time will tell if he can improve in coverage and learn to wrap up when tackling...but if he fails it WILL NOT be for the same reasons Bing did.

So many people on this site love to mention Bing because he was a USC safety who didn't make it. Do you want to hear about a few other USC safeties? How about these names...

Ronnie Lott
Dennis Smith
Joey Browner
Tim McDonald
Mark Carrier
Troy Polamalu

Thats like what...20 or 25 pro bowl selections? Can we get over the Darnell Bing thing now?

wrong...try fsu bulldogs
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Ronnie Lott
Dennis Smith
Joey Browner
Tim McDonald
Mark Carrier
Troy Polamalu

wrong...try fsu bulldogs

Wrong. Try USC Trojans.

http://www.usclegends.org/tim-mcdonald.php

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McDoTi00.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_McDonald
They say he looked very fluid dropping back and turning in camp.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Ronnie Lott
Dennis Smith
Joey Browner
Tim McDonald
Mark Carrier
Troy Polamalu

wrong...try fsu bulldogs

Wrong. Try USC Trojans.

http://www.usclegends.org/tim-mcdonald.php

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McDoTi00.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_McDonald

Ooooops.... As for Mays, I hope he ends up being great. It would really pizz me off if he screws up when we could have taken a shot at Atogwe.
The problem with Taylor Mays in college to me was that Pete Carrol and the Trojans asked him to do wayyy to much.

He's comfortable in certain roles and not in others.
We arent going to ask him to do everything right away. This way he can concentrate on just getting better all around and helping us in the aspects of his game that he excells in like run support.

The guys young and has ridiculous talent. As long as we dont rush him he'll be okay.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
The problem with Taylor Mays in college to me was that Pete Carrol and the Trojans asked him to do wayyy to much.

We arent going to ask him to do everything right away. This way he can concentrate on just getting better all around and helping us in the aspects of his game that he excells in like run support.

The guys young and has ridiculous talent. As long as we dont rush him he'll be okay.

If Lewis gets of to a bad start or declines in play and nobody else is ready to step up, giving Mays time may not be a luxury the 9ers have.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

If Lewis gets of to a bad start or declines in play and nobody else is ready to step up, giving Mays time may not be a luxury the 9ers have.

I honestly think Lewis is one concussion away from missing the season or even retiring.

I was surprised that Mays arm length is the same as Anthony Davis. That information could help Mays or hurt Davis.

Man, at 6'3" 230 pounds running 4.3: This guy could have a chance to dominate at the Safety position. Let's hope he's a better ball hawk version of Steve Atwater. I remember seeing Atwater and Dennis Smith live and they looked larger than the LB's lined up in front of them and Steve Atwater was only 6'3" 220 and Smith was only 6'3" 200.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I was surprised that Mays arm length is the same as Anthony Davis. That information could help Mays or hurt Davis.

Man, at 6'3" 230 pounds running 4.3: This guy could have a chance to dominate at the Safety position. Let's hope he's a better ball hawk version of Steve Atwater. I remember seeing Atwater and Dennis Smith live and they looked larger than the LB's lined up in front of them and Steve Atwater was only 6'3" 220 and Smith was only 6'3" 200.

Reading the quotes in the below link, he's clearly got the measurables but also seems to have the right attitude and is willing to put the work in, which is half the battle.

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Rookies-Enjoy-New-Workload/0d8a7e3c-c6d6-4d21-b244-75ec99bf88c5
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

I honestly think Lewis is one concussion away from missing the season or even retiring.

I completely agree with you and I think the 49ers will put Lewis on IR and sign Mark Roman if they feel Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor, and Taylor Mays are not ready to start.
Originally posted by Joecool:
They say he looked very fluid dropping back and turning in camp.

Yes...I found that very encouraging....

What I would say is that at USC, Mays was asked to fill a need in the defense and wasn't asked to do things he wasn't real comfortable with (like man to man coverage). Perhaps this was because the Trojans felt they had other guys that could cover better so they didn't need or ask that of Mays. I don't really know.

What I do know is what I've seen on tape and that is Mays either doesn't have a lot of experience in pass coverage or that he wasn't coached well in this aspect at USC. On tape, he just looks a bit confused and the result is that his natural speed and athleticism can't emerge. Kind of like Alex Smith when he was a rookie QB. We all know the best players don't think...they just play.

It may take Mays awhile to get to that place and maybe he will never get there...but...if he doesn't, it won't be because of a lack of effort. I'm rooting for him.
Share 49ersWebzone