LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by AC49er:
Would rather get our Franchise QB

i wanna see how smith plays first.. bradford will go #1, funny how zoners think we actually have a chance

With 2 1's, we easily have a chance.

For instance, what if a team like Atlanta for instance ends up having a horrible season, which includes a injury to Ryan, albeit a non career threatening injury, and they end up picking 1st. Why would that team, who already has their franchise QB not want to trade out for 2 1st's?

until the season plays out, we have no clue who will be picking 1st, or what their needs are.
Having 2 #1s gives us ALL KINDS of options:

* two quality players in the first round
* trade up to the #1 or #2 spot
* in-season trade for an elite player and STILL keep a #1 pick
I don't know what our record will be this year, but I know this: if we can get a star safety and a legit NT to pair with Patrick Willis, we WILL have the best defense in the league for the next 10 years. Think about that. I doubt either of our picks will be high enough to land someone like Eric Berry, but how about Taylor Mays or Morgan Burnett? Then with our other first round, we can get a NT like Terrance Cody. We will be set for the next 10 years. I know everyone wants a QB, but we will have a chance to become an absolutely dominant defense if we add a NT and FS in 2010 with our 2 picks. You can develop a QB. Look at Brady-6th rounder. Look at Romo-UDFA. Look at David Garrard-4th rounder. I'm not comparing those players but they're all pretty good QBs. But it's harder to build a truly dominant defense IMO then to have a flashy offense, and look who won the SB-the team with the dominant defense.
i totally f**kin agree

lets try developing nate davis...half of the zone is already talking about drafting mccoy or bradford next year...why dont we wait for the next season to play out first?
Exactly. Nate D. is the type of QB I'm talking about developing. He has the cannon arm, he's mobile, he's accurate, he just needs a bit of extra time to learn. So let him sit for a year or 2 and then if Smith/Hill aren't the answer, lets see what Nate's got.

But you aren't really going to find the Terrance Codys of the world, or the Mays, in the 4-7 rounds. Those guys have so much talent they're locks to be first or 2nd round picks at the worst. We have a SOLID defense. If we can add 2 more blue chip talents to our D, we can be a lockdown team for sure. Right now we have serviceable players (Goldson, Franklin) FS and NT. But those can be really crucial spots for any D, so if you can get a star player there then it can take your defense up a whole other level. Lets put our defense at the next level next year if we have a chance.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i totally f**kin agree

lets try developing nate davis...half of the zone is already talking about drafting mccoy or bradford next year...why dont we wait for the next season to play out first?

agreed.. we gotta see what nate can do in the next level surrounded by many playmakers .. i have a feeling smith is going to pan out though
  • RLB78
  • Info N/A
Totally agree, with a dominant NT and playmaker at safety, we are a top 5 D for years to come.

Don't see N.Davis as anything more than a backup though. Have a feeling we might see either Hill or Smith take off this year now that we have talent on the offensive side of the ball (as long as M.Smith stays healthy for at least 13-14 games )
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i totally f**kin agree

Amen.

I think Nate Davis can develop into one of the better 49er selections in the 2009 draft!
Is there any option where we wait to have some inkling of where we'll be drafting and who will be in the draft before we start making pronouncements?
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Is there any option where we wait to have some inkling of where we'll be drafting and who will be in the draft before we start making pronouncements?

Well we have 2 picks, and there are atleast 3-4 talented NTs and probably 5 or 6 talented FSs coming out next year because they'll be seniors or trying to avoid the rookie cap coming in the 2011 CBA. So that's why I said positions, not specific players. If we are horrible and the Panthers suck too we can probably get Terrance Cody and Eric Berry. If we are decent and the Panthers suck, or vice versa then we probably get someone like Taylor Mays and maybe the NT from Stanford. But the fact is, we are a NT and FS away from being a dominant D for years to come. Right now we're solid because we have solid players at most spots, but if we got legit stars who are young then we can be Baltimore type of D.

People are drastically overrating Terrence Cody and I can absolutely guarantee that McCloughan would not spend a 1st rounder on him... In order to warrant 1st round considerating in our GM's mind, the prospect in question must be a 3-down player.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
People are drastically overrating Terrence Cody and I can absolutely guarantee that McCloughan would not spend a 1st rounder on him... In order to warrant 1st round considerating in our GM's mind, the prospect in question must be a 3-down player.

You don't know how he'll develop though. I know that is one of the things Saban wanted him to improve on though and why he came back to Bama is he needed to improve on his stamina and weight. But I mean damn, we need a NT. And if you have DL depth it's not really a problem. The guy has the potential to be a beast dude.

Any other NTs you like though? I mean we gotta get one eventually. Until we do we're going to be a solid D, but we won't be dominant.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by abowers1984:

You don't know how he'll develop though. I know that is one of the things Saban wanted him to improve on though and why he came back to Bama is he needed to improve on his stamina and weight. But I mean damn, we need a NT. And if you have DL depth it's not really a problem. The guy has the potential to be a beast dude.

Any other NTs you like though? I mean we gotta get one eventually. Until we do we're going to be a solid D, but we won't be dominant.

Yes - the guy who actually is worth a 1st round selection (possibly top 10) -

Ndamukong Suh (DT/NT - Nebraska):
Measurables: 6'3 1/2" 308lbs
2008 Stats: 76 tackles (led team) - 19 TFLs - 7.5 sacks - 2 ints (both returned for TDs)
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413Gsstr6WE

*Note that these stats were accumulated while playing NT with the 3-4 defense being their base set.

Before we start jumping to conclusions though, Im am very interested in seeing what Sopoaga can do this year while playing NT and utilizing the one-gap technique. This will mark the first time his career as a niner that we are playing him at his most natural position (NT) and allowing him to penetrate and make plays in the backfield instead of forcing him to simply hold his ground and take up blockers.
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:30 AM ]
  • TowelBoy
  • Info N/A
I think we are underrating the extent to which Alex Smith affects the answers to these questions. I don't even think his name has been mentioned yet in this thread.

Consider this. If Hill leads us to a 9-7 record and a first-round playoff exist this season, we're probably still going to feel there is a hole at "Franchise QB of the Future." If Alex Smith accomplishes the same feat? Most will consider his career rehabilitated and our prayers answered.

Now, I could absolutely get on board with going all defense in the first round next year, even if our QB is still a question mark. But I think that's one of the brilliant aspects of the move for a future pick. It gives us a final year to evaluate Smith (who was not re-signed to play backup for three or four years) before having to make a decision regarding Day 1 QBs in the draft.
we need to get Terrence Cody next yr. NEED. i think we have some guys that could fill the FS role. we have no one right now that can be a force like Cody can be. idc what it takes, if it means trading both #1's to get him...we NEED a NT like Cody. Here's to hoping Carolina gives us a top ten pick! :)
Share 49ersWebzone