LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

The 2010 Draft and our 2 1st rounders

Wow...I guess nobody understands what makes a great offense starts on the offensive line.

I guess Frank Gore goes to the bench?

Why not trade up from the 2nd round to get Tim Tebow? Can you guys imagine that Wild cat formation!!!!!??????
Originally posted by joey82:
I don't care if we outscore opponents by putting 40 up and allowing 30 or if we outscore opponents by scoring 20 but allowing 10.

The key is to outscore the opponents.

I think our defense is solid enough to win us a lot of games with an explosive offense which Brant and Spiller would provide.

Agree. I think we go one offensive & one defensive player in the first. Alot is gonna depend on where we pick. I just really want CJ Spiller
Originally posted by genus49:
Wow...I guess nobody understands what makes a great offense starts on the offensive line.

Why not trade up from the 2nd round to get Tim Tebow? Can you guys imagine that Wild cat formation!!!!!??????

It's not just about the Oline. Ask Cleveland fans.
Originally posted by genus49:

I don't think you have to have a great offensive line to have a great offense. It can't be bad, but an average offensive line would probably suffice.

Frank Gore is getting up there in age and injuries. Do you really trust Frank Gore to be the main back for 16 game. Heck he hasn't even been able to stay healthy this year.

There isn't a set formula for winning, and I find it hilarious when people think they know the "blueprint" for winning, if there was one I think every team in the NFL would have figured it out by now.

The closest thing to a blueprint I have ever seen is to draft the BPA available unless that player isn't an upgrade over someone already on the roster, avoid injuryand pick up impact free agents.

Now, honestly the only players that I think our BPA over Bryant and Spiller, are Berry, Suh, McCoy, and Okung. If those players are on the board (unlikely) then sure go after them, but genus do you honestly think Trent Williams, Joe Haden, Taylor Mays etc are a better player than Bryant or Spiller?

It isn't like we can't fill our need for OL, S and OLB through FA or later in the draft.
I would love to have Bryant and Spiller. The NFL is going to more of a spread offense. We already have a QB who can run it. So if you add more explosive weapons that could make this a dynamic offense. We could fix the O Line in FA. I'm fine with picking Bryant and Spiller. In some ways I hope we do. But I doubt it will happen.

Look at N.O. They basically beat people by out scoring them. Their D. is ok but not great. And their D. is certainly not why they win. Same thing with Indy. Their D. is not the main factor in why they win. Same thing with AZ. They did not get to the Super Bowl with D.

Face it Offense is the wave of the future in the NFL. All the rule changes are for the Offense.
Spiller YES Bryant NO. We really could use a complemetry back to go with Gore and someone who can be a game breaker on special teams. That is Spiller. While Bryant will be a very good player he is a luxury we cannot afford with the many holes we have.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Spiller YES Bryant NO. We really could use a complemetry back to go with Gore and someone who can be a game breaker on special teams. That is Spiller. While Bryant will be a very good player he is a luxury we cannot afford with the many holes we have.

Ninerjohn you keep saying that Bryant is a luxury we can't afford and for the life of me I can't figure out what the heck you mean by that.

He is a top 10 talent and a play maker. Don't we want guys like that on our team?

A luxury you can't afford is being overstocked with too many talented players at one position that they can't get on the field often enough to make a difference. Do you honestly think that we are that loaded at WR that Bryant wouldn't be at least the third WR if not starting along side Crabtree.

Remember the draft isn't just about this/next years teams and the holes we currently have. It is about assembling young talent and increasing the overall talent that we have on our team.

I am a firm believer that you absolutely must take BPA unless that player isn't an upgrade over what you already have. If you want to argue that Williams/Haden/Mays etc are better players than Bryant/Spiller then that is fine, but I think we will miss a lot of long term opportunities to really make this team a playoff contender year in and year out if we only draft based on need, especially in the first two rounds.

Ninerjohn you keep saying that Bryant is a luxury we can't afford and for the life of me I can't figure out what the heck you mean by that.

He is a top 10 talent and a play maker. Don't we want guys like that on our team?

A luxury you can't afford is being overstocked with too many talented players at one position that they can't get on the field often enough to make a difference. Do you honestly think that we are that loaded at WR that Bryant wouldn't be at least the third WR if not starting along side Crabtree.

Remember the draft isn't just about this/next years teams and the holes we currently have. It is about assembling young talent and increasing the overall talent that we have on our team.

I am a firm believer that you absolutely must take BPA unless that player isn't an upgrade over what you already have. If you want to argue that Williams/Haden/Mays etc are better players than Bryant/Spiller then that is fine, but I think we will miss a lot of long term opportunities to really make this team a playoff contender year in and year out if we only draft based on need, especially in the first two rounds.

If we hadnt taken Crabtree last year then I would be all for taking Bryant. But we did. Would Bryant be an upgrade over Morgan? Well... obviously. There is one positon on our entire team that wouldnt be upgraded by someone taken in the top 10 and that is at TE. (ILB - meaning Spikes spot not Willis)

I think you have to look at BPA at postions where we need real help. I just dont see that at WR and thus my reason for saying that would be a luxury. Now.. OLB, RT, CB, and even RB... yes I believe those are areas where we have to address right away in the draft. Joe Haden, CJ Spiller, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham.. these are elite players in postions we have to improve.

Hope that clears it up for you. I do believe most in here agree with me by the way.
We don't want to look like the Lions used to look and keep drafting flashy players when there is obvious whole in other positions

I'll use this thread as a general 2010 draft thread.

So

What are the chances shipley falls to us in the 2nd?

If we hadnt taken Crabtree last year then I would be all for taking Bryant. But we did. Would Bryant be an upgrade over Morgan? Well... obviously. There is one positon on our entire team that wouldnt be upgraded by someone taken in the top 10 and that is at TE. (ILB - meaning Spikes spot not Willis)

I think you have to look at BPA at postions where we need real help. I just dont see that at WR and thus my reason for saying that would be a luxury. Now.. OLB, RT, CB, and even RB... yes I believe those are areas where we have to address right away in the draft. Joe Haden, CJ Spiller, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham.. these are elite players in postions we have to improve.

Hope that clears it up for you. I do believe most in here agree with me by the way.

That's nicely put.

I agree. I wouldn't be upset if we selected CJ Spiller with one of our firsts, but to use another on Dez Bryant wouldn't be smart. Our o-line made Detroit and St. Louis' d-line look way more competitive than they should be. What happens to us when we have to play against Suh and Chris Long twice a year? O-line must be addressed.
Share 49ersWebzone