LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Graham Harrell

Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he will be our 3rd round selection

Um... lets hope not. Fourth or fifth maybe

well if we get him it better be second day, because he is not ready right now, but after learning the system he could be good. he is very smart, not alex smith type smart, but thinks very quickly on his feet smart, except that damn safety in the 4th quarter.
plus with his 43 yard run the cotton bowl, it looks like he has quite a bit nore mobility than people have thought.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
With Graham Harrell you draft him in the 3-5th round and let him know that he will be sitting at lest a full season or two, so he has no chance of starting and his job is to sit and learn from our new QB coach.
Originally posted by Jcool:
With Graham Harrell you draft him in the 3-5th round and let him know that he will be sitting at lest a full season or two, so he has no chance of starting and his job is to sit and learn from our new QB coach.

Don't be so sure about that. I remember plenty of people here saying the same thing about Flacco when he was drafted.

Never discount the ability of a senior QB who has played in as many games as Harrell has. I'm not saying he has the same ability as Flacco nor am I saying he would instantly be a star, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Harrell getting plenty of action later in his rookie season, especially if he's drafted by a team without a REAL QB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:

Don't be so sure about that. I remember plenty of people here saying the same thing about Flacco when he was drafted.

Never discount the ability of a senior QB who has played in as many games as Harrell has. I'm not saying he has the same ability as Flacco nor am I saying he would instantly be a star, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Harrell getting plenty of action later in his rookie season, especially if he's drafted by a team without a REAL QB.

well yeah if he totally impresses and wins the job, but he shouldn't be drafted to start as a rookie, he should be drafted to sit and learn to be a pro qb

I don't know about this one ghost. ESPN is saying harrell is struggling at the senior bowl.He is having trouble with making reads and dropping back at the same time and showing his lack of arm strength throwing outside the numbers. Mcshay said he thinks Harrell goes in the 5th or 6th round.

I think Harrell shouldn't be compared to Flacco since Harrell has played in the shotgun his entire career. He probably is more conmparable to Colt Brennan last year. He definitely is someone that needs a couple of years on the bench and getting his drops down and getting better reading coverage from under center.
Originally posted by E-49er:

I don't know about this one ghost. ESPN is saying harrell is struggling at the senior bowl.He is having trouble with making reads and dropping back at the same time and showing his lack of arm strength throwing outside the numbers. Mcshay said he thinks Harrell goes in the 5th or 6th round.

I think Harrell shouldn't be compared to Flacco since Harrell has played in the shotgun his entire career. He probably is more conmparable to Colt Brennan last year. He definitely is someone that needs a couple of years on the bench and getting his drops down and getting better reading coverage from under center.

Mike Mayock was also talking about his lack of arm strength, he can't complete the 15 yard out patterns at the sideline. Of course NFL network showed the video footage of his struggles with those passes. I wouldn't touch Harell until at earliest the 5th round.
Scott Wright said this on monday

Harrell displayed good accuracy and didn't miss many throws but he didn't stand out when it came to his dropback, release or velocity.
Originally posted by kronik:

Mike Mayock was also talking about his lack of arm strength, he can't complete the 15 yard out patterns at the sideline. Of course NFL network showed the video footage of his struggles with those passes. I wouldn't touch Harell until at earliest the 5th round.

I've seen him do it in real games.

Harrell is showing excellent accuracy and anticipation at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure having to drop back in live practices for the 1st time contributed to his shaky start this week, but he's settled down and has looked very good over the last few days.

Again, don't discount the ability of senior QBs who have taken tons of snaps in big games over the years. They've seen quite a lot and aren't as easily rattled as their younger counterparts. That doesn't mean Harrell could come in and do what Flacco did (I never said that), but it's not going to take years on the bench for him to be able to contribute.
  • nbbarone
  • Info N/A

Harrell is showing excellent accuracy and anticipation at the Senior Bowl. I'm sure having to drop back in live practices for the 1st time contributed to his shaky start this week, but he's settled down and has looked very good over the last few days.

Again, don't discount the ability of senior QBs who have taken tons of snaps in big games over the years. They've seen quite a lot and aren't as easily rattled as their younger counterparts. That doesn't mean Harrell could come in and do what Flacco did (I never said that), but it's not going to take years on the bench for him to be able to contribute.

You don't think Harrell could complete 60% of his passes for 2900 yds and only 14tds over a 16 week season?

• 49ersNorcal
  • Info N/A
I do not want to draft Graham Harrell. He was a system QB at Texas Tech. The last system QB we draft was the one and only Alex Smith...Man do those system QB's turn out well. . . .not.
Originally posted by 49ersNorcal:
I do not want to draft Graham Harrell. He was a system QB at Texas Tech. The last system QB we draft was the one and only Alex Smith...Man do those system QB's turn out well. . . .not.

How many guys don't play in a "system" anymore? I like a traditional offense but not many colleges run it anymore. Leinart ran a pro system at USC and he's doing fantastic holding a clip board!!!!!
I've seen Harrell make those throws he's struggling with today, only he made them out of shotgun. I think it's a more mental issue than a pure arm strength issue, because he's done it before.
It seems he has the whole 'drop-back' down properly, but now he needs to put it together with the routine passes he made his whole career at Tech.
That will probably take time. He needs to sit on a bench for a while to get that down.
He's clearly not ready at the moment. I hope he gets drafted into a good situation in day 2.
If Harrell is available in the 6th round and we don't take him I'll be p**sed! In my opinion he will need time to develop (I agree with sitting him his whole rookie season), but his upside and potential is well worth the investment.
Remember when I said Harrell was a system QB way back when and all the Tech fans thought I was just hating?

Well Harrell is dropping faster then a fat mans deuce after eating the Angry Whopper.
Share 49ersWebzone