There are 295 users in the forums

Houston Astros stole signs throughout their 2017 championship season.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Wait, what? How are the two situations comparable at all? The White Sox weren't stripped of a title. The Reds won the title. There was no awarding of a title to a team in the 1919 situation.

I completely disagree with you that IF the Astros were stripped of their title, that they would award the title to another team. That makes absolutely no sense.

IF the Astros are stripped of their title, there will be no champ that year. Period. Saying it would be given to the Dodgers and using 1919 as your justification for it is beyond head scratching.

lol where do you come up with these conclusions? You definitely interpret things the way you want to hear them. Where did I ever say the Dodgers would be awarded the title? I literally JUST said " Itll never happen. It would make MLB as a whole look terrible."

Im not comparing the situations, im saying the White Sox literally threw the WS on purpose, but MLB still recognizes the Reds as champions because the game looks terrible if a title is left with no winner.

Im well aware that you dont like me, but twisting things to a point where you can argue with me about everything gets old.
99, I have absolutely nothing against you. Saying "I am aware you dont like me" couldnt be further from the truth. No one is getting personal here but you. We dont agree on a lot of things but I dont agree with my best friends on some sports things. It's nothing personal at all from my end.

I just dont understand how the Reds/white Sox situation has anything to do with this. So a few White Sox players threw the series. That doesnt mean that the Reds definitively wouldnt have won anyway.

I dont see the issues with a vacant title like you do, nor do I believe the optics of having it would harm baseball in any way.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 21, 2019 at 1:27 PM ]
99, I have absolutely nothing against you. Saying "I am aware you dont like me" couldnt be further from the truth. No one is getting personal here but you. We dont agree on a lot of things but I dont agree with my best friends on some sports things. It's nothing personal at all from my end.

I just dont understand how the Reds/white Sox situation has anything to do with this. So a few White Sox players threw the series. That doesnt mean that the Reds definitively wouldnt have won anyway.

I dont see the issues with a vacant title like you do, nor do I believe the optics of having it would harm baseball in any way.

If baseball didn't mind having vacant titles, they would have just voided the 1919 WS, because it was as tainted as any sporting event in history. If I were the Reds I wouldn't fly that flag. 8 key members of the team, including one of the greatest players of all time, agreed to throw the series in exchange for money. It was universally agreed that the White Sox were the best team. Heck, the series still went 8 games despite them trying to blow it.

To me its a black eye on the league to have 2017 just left vacant because of a cheating scandal. The last thing baseball needs is to draw negative attention with another cheating issue. They will punish the Astros harshly, but will also want to move past this without altering history, IMO.
I think they're just going to have to do walkthroughs with umps before and during games (if the visiting team feels that it is necessary) and look for things like cameras, tablets anything electronics.

Taking away a title would backfire only because the Houston fans , people who paid top dollar for those playoff tix, vegas betters etc, would boycott and maybe even sue the MLB.
Wow. Everyone wants a ban and /or title strip.

Who cares how baseball handled something 100 years ago, that's a terrible example. And if MLB doesn't strip them of the title, thats even worse. However, im sure MLB is also under the same impression that stripping them of the title is bad business, but they are absolutely wrong, just like they constantly are with anything PR related.

They need to be stripped, and the players, coaches, upper management, anybody who knew this was happening, all need to be suspended for one year.

Anything less wont stop a team from doing this again. Its already a joke the MLB does absolutely nothing about tanking, they allowed the Astros to do it for 5 years straight. Now if they dont strip the title, they will look like a joke of a league and they will lose even more viewers.

The message cant be that you can cheat and still come out on top.
I agree. I dont think the optics of having a vacant title because of cheating is somehow worse than allowing the team to keep its title when it has been proven they were cheating.
There is virtually no chance that MLB is going to strip Houston of the title and either leave it vacant or reward the Dodgers with the title. NOT going to happen. Houston will be fined a huge sum of money, likely lose draft picks and international money and there could be suspensions of people involved. But thats it in my opinion.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There is virtually no chance that MLB is going to strip Houston of the title and either leave it vacant or reward the Dodgers with the title. NOT going to happen. Houston will be fined a huge sum of money, likely lose draft picks and international money and there could be suspensions of people involved. But thats it in my opinion.

In this case your opinion is fact.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Do you understand what fact means lol.

Yes it is. And my opinion is, after hearing many people talking about the punishment potentially being incredibly harsh, that stripping them of their title is absolutely something they would consider.

Yes it is. And my opinion is, after hearing many people talking about the punishment potentially being incredibly harsh, that stripping them of their title is absolutely something they would consider.

What team wouldn't trade making a lot of money with a long post season run, a championship, a lot of merch sales, and the trade is some draft picks and a couple suspensions? Outside of teams like red sox, yankees, cards, they would all do it.

Striping the championship they got by blatantly cheating makes the most sense. But when has MLB ever done anything that makes sense?...

And i wonder how many of these hypocrite ass fans and players talk about the unwritten rules and protecting the game...but they are okay with this. One of the reasons baseball turning into a joke of a league.

DONT FLIP YOUR BAT BUT YOU CAN CHEAT!
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Do you understand what fact means lol.

Yes. There is no way MLB strips Houston of the title.

If there was blatant cheating on a 'golden pitch' in the series, which there never was, maybe they could direct correlate cheating to a title. But there is no specific moment to reverse.
Lol.
Share 49ersWebzone