LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

**OFFICIAL 2018 WORLD CUP Thread***

• dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Arminini:
I'll address your point more directly. The MLS being a popular league will do little to US player development compared to other countries because of how the league is structured.

Other countries run football clubs, not professional teams. football clubs begin at a very early age and develop a brand of soccer in the youth ranks. The best players graduate up to the senior team. Football clubs are intended to create talent and not necessarily to make a profit. The football club is intertwined with the culture of the city, so fandom is different than how you and I support the 9ers.

By contrast, MLS teams are for profit organizations. They dont care to produce talent (only recently have they started to build out youth teams), and if they did it would need to be ROI positive. MLS owners dont care to change the system, because theyre the reason for the current US system and the chase of profit. If the interest in the MLS grows, it will grow the profit but will do nothing to developing talent.

Couldn't have said it better
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by 190836:
Nailed it, finally someone who understand the European football vs MLS structure. Great post.

It's rerresfing to speak with someone that can handle a conversation in a respectful manner

Why do you say that? When did I insulted you exactly?
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Guy goes off spouting nonsense with no knowledge or research. Gets called out and plays the pity card. "Oh why, why is everyone so mean to me." Reminds me of a certain politician.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:
Thank you for doing this and explaining SunDevil the very basics of European club football.

This is why one shouldn't be discussing something they have zero knowledge of.

Can't resist from being insulting. SAD

Not insulting you at all. I am stating the obvious...and would really like your answer on this because I think of you as a good poster on the board - if you don't have any knowledge on the subject - why are you arguing about it? This really makes no sense and I didn't expect this from someone like you. It's a serious question.

When I told you I've lived in Europe - your reply was - You've lived there and you don't know the similar time zones?

...and before - you said - it's embarrassing to see US soccer fans ridicule English soccer....without knowing anything about English soccer.

Maybe you are the one who didn't start the conversation in a respectful manner.
[ Edited by 4ML on Jul 17, 2018 at 1:52 AM ]
Originally posted by 190836:
Why do you say that? When did I insulted you exactly?

Didn't say you
Not insulting you at all. I am stating the obvious...and would really like your answer on this because I think of you as a good poster on the board - if you don't have any knowledge on the subject - why are you arguing about it? This really makes no sense and I didn't expect this from someone like you. It's a serious question.

When I told you I've lived in Europe - your reply was - You've lived there and you don't know the similar time zones?

...and before - you said - it's embarrassing to see US soccer fans ridicule English soccer....without knowing anything about English soccer.

I don't agree that a strong US national league has no effect on top US athletes choosing the sport. Yes there are development issues, but if MLS was bigger than the nhl, I think you'd see more top athletes and more investment in improving development

For US sports, progress folllows money and visibility. I've already posted my thoughts on how soccer can improve development. Create a club in Europe that recruits 16 year old top Americans and have soccer be their life, no school or anything, just soccer in a fully competitive environment

I do t really care to go back and forth. It's no point, a group of you will cherry pick my post and throw in thinly veiled insults.

I said great post to the guy because he put together a detailed intelligent post. I'm well aware of the differences in a Euro culture and club.

Yo won't agree, that's fine.

There's a reason Westbrook or OBJ don't play soccer and I think it has to do with MLS not being as big as nba or nfl

I stand by US fans shouldn't insult English soccer fans. They are passionate about their sport and their team did well. It's not England pulled a Germany in the tournament

Edit: who is the top young American soccer player? I forget his name but I read his player tribune. Have you? He singles out his edge was leaving early to play in Germany as a factor if I recall correctly
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jul 17, 2018 at 6:59 AM ]
Holy f**k this is still going on lol
There's a certain amount of humor in a guy in here debating soccer as much as you are and you don't even know Christian Pulisic's name.
Pretty cool to see 500k showup for Croatia's homecoming.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Isn't that like an eighth of their country?

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
There's a certain amount of humor in a guy in here debating soccer as much as you are and you don't even know Christian Pulisic's name.

As I said, can't really have a conversation when people latch onto minor things like me not remembering Pulisic's name at 7am
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Isn't that like an eighth of their country?

Hot blonde Presidential Boobs will do that to a country.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I don't agree that a strong US national league has no effect on top US athletes choosing the sport. Yes there are development issues, but if MLS was bigger than the nhl, I think you'd see more top athletes and more investment in improving development

For US sports, progress folllows money and visibility. I've already posted my thoughts on how soccer can improve development. Create a club in Europe that recruits 16 year old top Americans and have soccer be their life, no school or anything, just soccer in a fully competitive environment

I do t really care to go back and forth. It's no point, a group of you will cherry pick my post and throw in thinly veiled insults.

I said great post to the guy because he put together a detailed intelligent post. I'm well aware of the differences in a Euro culture and club.

There's a reason Westbrook or OBJ don't play soccer and I think it has to do with MLS not being as big as nba or nfl

I stand by US fans shouldn't insult English soccer fans. They are passionate about their sport and their team did well. It's not England pulled a Germany in the tournament

Edit: who is the top young American soccer player? I forget his name but I read his player tribune. Have you? He singles out his edge was leaving early to play in Germany as a factor if I recall correctly

US should create a club in Europe...and recruit 16 year old Americans? How does it become a fully competitive environment?
  • DaBum
  • Veteran

Because he got to play in an academy at a young age ...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Sad we didn't get to see him in the World Cup.
Share 49ersWebzone