LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Boxing or Soccer?

Boxing or Soccer?

I was having a debate with my friend today regarding which sport is harder to learn and be elite at. I thought boxing he thought soccer. He claims that boxing is much simpler and there is not much to learn other than "throwing combos and dodging punches". He claimed all you have to do is "learn how to punch and have good reflexes". Keep in mind he's a soccer player and I'm a boxer, but I played soccer growing up, so I believe I have a better idea than he does regarding this discussion considering he's never boxed against anyone before he's only watched it on TV, and I'm aware there is much more to the sport than he believes, and it is much more physically demanding. Now don't get me wrong, I take nothing away from soccer, it is very difficult, but I just don't believe it's more difficult than boxing. Who do you agree with? Which of the two is harder to learn, master, and compete in?
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Neither?

Baseball.
Originally posted by jrg:
Neither?

Baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
Soccer is a metaphor for the miracle of life.

Food for thought.
  • Jiks
People have a misconception that both these sports are easy, and they may look that way from the outside looking in. But unless you truly understand the nuances of both, you really haven't a clue of how much skill and tactical skill it really takes to be a professional.
I cannot believe that soccer is losing in this poll
Originally posted by Quest4six:

They're barely even comparable. Soccer is like a marathon with unbelievable skill involved for ball control and such. In boxing somebody is literally trying to beat your brains in while you are trying to beat there's in at the same time.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

They're barely even comparable. Soccer is like a marathon with unbelievable skill involved for ball control and such. In boxing somebody is literally trying to beat your brains in while you are trying to beat there's in at the same time.

Boxing is more than just trying to beat someone's brain in. It's a chess game. It demands more than just punching someone. It requires footwork, head movement, core, lower body, back, shoulders, the list goes on and on. 2 Rds of boxing is more exhausting than 1 Half of soccer.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Mar 26, 2016 at 9:15 AM ]

well, Americans do hate soccer
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by jrg:
Neither?

Baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

LOL i'm not surprised that s**t is from espn.

yup, boxers have more power than NFL players, Wrestlers, and MMA guys. and of course boxers are more durable than football and hockey players. lol...

and i like how they rank MMA, according to that chart, MMA guys barely have any endurance, strength, or durability.

hockey is probably the most demanding sport. not only does it require a lot of physical attributes, you gotta do it all on skates and on ice.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Jul 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM ]
Neither, both suck!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
elite at?

I think you need to be a little crazy to become elite at boxing.

I think soccer is easier for anyone to do.

so Boxing
I think soccer takes more elite training, or its at least more widespread, than boxing.

In order to have a shot at the pro's in soccer, you are basically drafted into a semi-pro sports academy from a very young age.

I know boxing you train as well early on, but I don't think there is a billion dollar industry running academies to train kids.
Share 49ersWebzone