49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 1,090 users in the forums

PYMWYMI - The Harbaugh Debate

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Remember -- with the 49ers offense it's designed to not call the play until there's only about 2-3 seconds left (to apparently keep the defense guessing). So it's not necessarily about getting to the line early. If this aspect changes then it'll just be due to a change in offensive philosophy.

You are correct and I do remember hearing that. I think that was the initial plan when implemented, But that cat has been out of the bag for a while, and they have failed to make any sort of adjustment. I don't believe any other teams ever try to employ this method
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Remember -- with the 49ers offense it's designed to not call the play until there's only about 2-3 seconds left (to apparently keep the defense guessing). So it's not necessarily about getting to the line early. If this aspect changes then it'll just be due to a change in offensive philosophy.

You are correct and I do remember hearing that. I think that was the initial plan when implemented, But that cat has been out of the bag for a while, and they have failed to make any sort of adjustment. I don't believe any other teams ever try to employ this method

The reason why you don't see other teams using this is defenses in the NFL are smart enough to disguise what they are doing. So they can show one thing and audible after the offense has lined up. The offense then doesn't have time to adjust to the new defensive look. Its a strategy I don't like at all from the offensive side. Get up to the line early and let the QB have time to audible if need be to a better play. It also let defensive players get a jump on the snap since the clock is winding down and they know the offense has to snap the ball.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Remember -- with the 49ers offense it's designed to not call the play until there's only about 2-3 seconds left (to apparently keep the defense guessing). So it's not necessarily about getting to the line early. If this aspect changes then it'll just be due to a change in offensive philosophy.

And that's the problem. That s**t may cut it in college, NFL defenses are too good and all you are doing is setting your QB up to get murdered because the defense has it much easier when it comes to timing their move across the line. When this team has snapped the ball with plenty of time on the clock, the results have generally been better, the offense has looked crisp, the longer they wait to snap the ball, the more twitchy it seems everyone gets and I'd rather see them stick with one play and focus on executing well than having the QB try to change things up at the very last second.
B
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,847
I would like (C) and he stays with drastic changes (new OC; GET KAP SERIOUS HELP; MUCH improved play calling, oline and WRs; MUCH improved clock mngt; stop giving officials plenty of reasons to hate on us on game day; a different color pants at least once every month)...

I have a feeling we won't get all those (much needed) changes if he stays so, I lean more towards A
[ Edited by LVJay on Dec 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRambler:
My answer is neither. I'm not "glad" Harbaugh is leaving, but if he and Roman are a package deal they both have to go. The passing game has evolved with the rule changes the last 3 years, and we seem to be the only team that hasn't seen a lick of improvement in that area over that time. That's entirely on Roman and Harbs.

This. 100%.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,847
Originally posted by CMIO:
Holmgren our savior

Yes! It's The Walrus or The Rat (Shanny)...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,149
bring back George Siefert
Channel bill walsh
  • rrx1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 712
B B B
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And that's the problem. That s**t may cut it in college, NFL defenses are too good and all you are doing is setting your QB up to get murdered because the defense has it much easier when it comes to timing their move across the line. When this team has snapped the ball with plenty of time on the clock, the results have generally been better, the offense has looked crisp, the longer they wait to snap the ball, the more twitchy it seems everyone gets and I'd rather see them stick with one play and focus on executing well than having the QB try to change things up at the very last second.

I like how you're saying everything except the one thing this thread calls for which is putting your money where your mouth is.
B
B
Seems the vast majority say B.

Feel the love Harbs!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone