• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
B+
  • buck
  • Veteran
C.

His working relations with others.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
You wrote "glad he is leaving" so I can't pick either. I'm not glad he's leaving, but if he is unwilling to change OCs, it must be done. What I really want is herbs to stay with a new OC. Also, I can't put my money where my mouth is unless I know the new coach.

This
A. Not saying there won't be struggles on offense next season. But I expect there to be improvements in scheme and pre-snap approach.
One bad season out of four doesn't equate to failure...Harbaugh has raised the bar for this team in so many ways. One fault he has is being overly protective of his coaches and players. I understand loyalty...but in some cases I think he's taken it too far (WRT Roman and Kap for example). Everything seemed to be stacked against him this season...ridiculous amount of injuries, a number of stalwarts he's depended on his first 3 seasons. The "fued" or whatever's been going on between him and the front office. I blame the media for a good deal of that...it's been virtually a witch-hunt this entire calendar year. I'll be sorry to see him go...but the way things are now, it may be for the best. I've said this several times...but it bears repeating, the synergy Pete Carroll and his GM Schneider have has fueled Seattle into a powerhouse team. I'm pretty sure both Jed York and Baalke want something similar for the Niners. A head coach and GM at odds with each other isn't a good mix. So, we'll see what happens...Harbaugh will land a great job somewhere. I'd like to see him go back to Michigan and turn them into a national power again. Baalke will hire a head coach who's more sympatico with him and together they should be able to right the NIner ship. There's still a TON of talent on this team and a midpoint place in the next draft surely won't hurt.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
C: Despite the offense being inept Harbaurgh doesnt deserve to lose his job after one bad season. but since he's losing his job to neither A nor B it's time we move on to get out from under the unneeded distractions that we find ourselves under.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
You wrote "glad he is leaving" so I can't pick either. I'm not glad he's leaving, but if he is unwilling to change OCs, it must be done. What I really want is herbs to stay with a new OC. Also, I can't put my money where my mouth is unless I know the new coach.

This

changed the wording a little
Harbs and staff messed up qb management. By putting a pansy at backup qb kap never played like his performamce mattered. I think we would have seen more 90 yard runs and checkdowns if kap was benched after the rams game and someone like mccoy had four to six good quarters.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Dec 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We still don't have a vertical threat WR and this past season we were missing the only deep threat we had in Vernon Davis. None of that is Harbaugh's fault. That might have just a smidge to do with why we don't have an explosive passing game.

Ellington and Patton are fast enough to threaten deep or at least put speed on the field and yet they hardly got any playing time in the offense because of coaching decisions. That's on Jim.

Vernon Davis was out there, playing like ass. Partly on coaching for having him out there.

You also adjust your offense if you don't have vertical threats to cut down deep throws. Instead we threw long too many times to slow receivers. Not smart scheme.

Ellington or Patton don't put fear in opposing defenses and make them draw safety help for fear of being burned. They tried worknig Ellington in to the offense and he was injured. I agree with you that you adjust your offense to cut down on deep throws but that is the point. Safties play up and close on shorter routes. They load up the box and make it tougher to run. All of this effects an offense.

Then you throw in your TE was missing all year and the #2,#3 and #4 te's were all injured along with your RT, Center missing most of the year and your RG holding out and missing games and then taking a long time after he came back to play half way decent so your run blocking is less and your pass protection becomes suspect and you begin to see why an offense may have problems.

Now add to that all the injuries on defense and while they held up well and did amazing all things considered they gave up longer drives. They became stout in scoring position and forced a lot of FG attempts and some turnovers in our territory to keep scoring down against us but they were not the same shut down defense we had in the past. Teams were driving on us with regularity. Chewing up clock, icing our offense, winning field position, winning time of possession even if they settled for FG's or we managed a take away. We used to lead the league in starting field position. Our field position this year sucked. We were at the top in time of possession which helps wear an opposing defense down especially in the 2nd half. We lost the time of possession battle this year and it was our defense wearing down in the 2nd half not theirs. Our offense was going up against fresh defenses in the 2nd half.

I just don't see the big mystery as to why our offense was having problems this season. It was never a big play pass oriented offense in the 1st place but had it not been for all the injuries there is no reason to believe it wouldn't have performed like it did the past 3 seasons. 7 wins in a year when you led the entire NFL in injuries and missed games by players is not proof positive your Head Coach sucks.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'll wait till next coach is hired. Leaning toward A

Originally posted by captveg:
A. Not saying there won't be struggles on offense next season. But I expect there to be improvements in scheme and pre-snap approach.

I believe getting the offense to the line early and resolving the playclock issues with actually have a huge impact on offensive performance.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by captveg:

I believe getting the offense to the line early and resolving the playclock issues with actually have a huge impact on offensive performance.

Remember -- with the 49ers offense it's designed to not call the play until there's only about 2-3 seconds left (to apparently keep the defense guessing). So it's not necessarily about getting to the line early. If this aspect changes then it'll just be due to a change in offensive philosophy.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Gone to Michigan 30 minutes after we lose to the Cardinals
B
Originally posted by NCommand:
A. When your offensive system has been figured out you're done. Any competent offensive system and OC should get us up to an average offense at least.

This
Share 49ersWebzone