There are 101 users in the forums

2014 Sochi Winter Olympics thread

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Looks like Team USA is mailing it in. Patrick Kane on those penalty shots smh.........

EDIT: 5-0 Fins. What a joke.

Kind of to be expected. Canada would have done the same if they lost yesterday. Third place really meant nothing at that point.
Patrick Tank
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Patrick Tank

Yep
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Oh those pesky Dutch. Dutch speedskating coach says US should drop football (because he thinks it sucks) and concentrate 100% on the ice.

"You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football," Anema told CNBC on Friday. "You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other.

"You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football. You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other.

"... (The U.S.) is so narrow-minded, and you waste a lot of good talent in a sport that sucks."

"I think that the gold medal in speedskating is just as valuable as the gold medal in basketball, and we won 22.

"You'll never win 22 in basketball."

-- Jillert Anema,Dutch speedskating coach

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/speedskating/story/_/id/10498174/2014-sochi-olympics-dutch-coach-jillert-anema-says-us-focus-more-speedskating-not-football

Dutch all time winter olympic medals: 108 - 35 gold ------ Summer medals: 266 - 35 gold

US all time winter olympic medals: 259 - 88 gold ------- Summer medals: 2,295 - 930 gold

Where the f**k you at, Netherdutchlands?

Damn, I use to have the Dutch as one of my Euro's I'll root for.

I'll have to think about it now
Oh those pesky Dutch. Dutch speedskating coach says US should drop football (because he thinks it sucks) and concentrate 100% on the ice.

"You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football," Anema told CNBC on Friday. "You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other.

"You have a lot of attention for foolish sport, like American football. You waste a lot of talent, athletic talent, in a sport where it's meant to kill each other, to injure each other.

"... (The U.S.) is so narrow-minded, and you waste a lot of good talent in a sport that sucks."

"I think that the gold medal in speedskating is just as valuable as the gold medal in basketball, and we won 22.

"You'll never win 22 in basketball."

-- Jillert Anema,Dutch speedskating coach

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/speedskating/story/_/id/10498174/2014-sochi-olympics-dutch-coach-jillert-anema-says-us-focus-more-speedskating-not-football

Not until they can win medals for playing basketball at different distances like they do in your retarded sport.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Not until they can win medals for playing basketball at different distances like they do in your retarded sport.

lol

100 meter basketball

150 meter basketball

200 meter basket basketball

College hoops 3 pt line basketball

etc.

We win all. And IMO Basketball is a way more internationally competitive sport. Who the f**k grows up speed skating?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

lol

100 meter basketball

150 meter basketball

200 meter basket basketball

College hoops 3 pt line basketball

etc.

We win all. And IMO Basketball is a way more internationally competitive sport. Who the f**k grows up speed skating?

Why is dunk contest not an Olympic sport? They have all these lame figure skating b******t.

Oh and f**k the Dutch - hope they lose in group stage at the WC.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Dutch all time winter olympic medals: 108 - 35 gold ------ Summer medals: 266 - 35 gold

US all time winter olympic medals: 259 - 88 gold ------- Summer medals: 2,295 - 930 gold

Where the f**k you at, Netherdutchlands?
Is this serious? USA always has 5x the amount of Winter Olympians

Holland = Gold every 6.8 Olympians
USA = Gold every 25.5 Olympians

^ Embarrassing
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Kind of to be expected. Canada would have done the same if they lost yesterday. Third place really meant nothing at that point.

Welp, atleast you aren't taking the more pathetic "no one cares" attitude. No, I don't see Canada being monkey stomped in that scenario.
[ Edited by 1981_Champions on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM ]

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1981_Champions:
Is this serious? USA always has 5x the amount of Winter Olympians

Holland = Gold every 6.8 Olympians
USA = Gold every 25.5 Olympians

^ Embarrassing

So, are the Dutch banned from sending more Olympians?

It's tough to send more Olympians when you know your athletes can only compete in Speed-skating.

Dutch won 24 medals - 23 came in speed-skating and 1 in short-track. Talk about narrow-minded.
[ Edited by 4ML on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:

It's tough to send more Olympians when you know your athletes can only compete in Speed-skating.

Dutch won 24 medals - 23 came in speed-skating and 1 in short-track. Talk about narrow-minded.

My point is if the USA was remotely as successful in sports as many of you make it out to be, they wouldn't need 25 competitors to finally break through with a Gold medal. That's shockingly pathetic. The goal of the Olympics is to generate THE BEST (Gold Medals) not trigger mediocrity which the USA has been generating off the field for 40 years. Looks like the rest of the World has now caught up on the field as well.

Furthermore the uniform complaining shines light on the large advantage the USA held the past 30 years because of the countries irrational financial addiction to athletics (while every single other facet of the society declined). Thousands of Americans graduate Universities across the country each year unable to read and then are rewarded with millions of dollars (and the hypocritical benefits that come with it)

Granted I put some blame on the American media but American Olympians will be remembered for complaining over "courses being too difficult", "suits being too slow" and other laughable hotel complaints. One can argue the American athlete is now too pampered.
[ Edited by 1981_Champions on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

My point is if the USA was remotely as successful in sports as many of you make it out to be, they wouldn't need 25 competitors to finally break through with a Gold medal. That's shockingly pathetic. The goal of the Olympics is to generate THE BEST (Gold Medals) not trigger mediocrity which the USA has been generating off the field for 40 years. Looks like the rest of the World has now caught up on the field as well.

Furthermore the uniform complaining shines light on the large advantage the USA held the past 30 years because of the countries irrational financial addiction to athletics (while every single other facet of the society declined). Thousands of Americans graduate Universities across the country each year unable to read and then are rewarded with millions of dollars (and the hypocritical benefits that come with it)

Granted I put some blame on the American media but American Olympians will be remembered for complaining over "courses being too difficult", "suits being too slow" and other laughable hotel complaints. One can argue the American athlete is now too pampered.

Dutch have never won a World Cup. Talk about mediocrity.

Now STFU - win something worthwhile before talking about catching up.

USA has 20x the population AND is 236x the size and won Gold Medals in 2 more events than Holland

Dutch are 3x World Cup runner ups AND 1988 European Tournament Champions

I'm guessing his point about being narrow minded is that the NFL is nothing more than a domestic sport. You would find it comical if Mexicans kept bragging about some sport no one else in the World played.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

USA has 20x the population AND is 236x the size and won Gold Medals in 2 more events than Holland

Dutch are 3x World Cup runner ups AND 1988 European Tournament Champions

I'm guessing his point about being narrow minded is that the NFL is nothing more than a domestic sport. You would find it comical if Mexicans kept bragging about some sport no one else in the World played.

Oh s**t...3x runners up in WC. Is that a record for losing the WC Final?!? Euro Cup Champs in 1988? lol bragging about a win before the cold war?

...and who is bragging about NFL in this thread? I lived and worked in Europe for 2 years...no one bragged about NFL to a bunch of ppl who don't even understand the game. NFL fans brag to other NFL fans. And yes, NFL is a domestic sport. Basketball and baseball were too at one point. Any sport that was ever invented was played domestically first.

...and no - I wouldn't find comical if Mexicans kept bragging about some sport no one else in the World played. You know why? Because I don't live in a country that is more popular around the World for it's legalized prostitution than losing 3 World Cup Finals.

lol still can't believe you listed 3x runners up in something as an accomplishment...then talk about mediocrity.
Share 49ersWebzone