Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
6. Jim Thorpe (this dude did everything)
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

how could you put Phelps above Ali? Ali's #1 for me, and Jordan #2.

What did Ali do to rate the #1 greatest athlete of all time? He lost on more than one occasion to guys he was favored to beat. Now I am not saying Ali wasnt a great figher but # 1 all time among all athletes ever? I dont see that.

What is wrong about this list is that there isnt a baseball player on it. A bit of a bias dont you think? Babe Ruth and Willie Mays should absolutley be on a list over a boxer and 2 swimmers.

When you look at everything that goes into being a great athlete Jim Thorpe probably should be #1.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You have a list of players that were the greatest ever for their respective sports, basically.

You can never say one is greater than the other because in the end you just can't definitively measure these athletes on level ground.

We can all give our opinions and whatnot, but since every sport is different, there's no way one could make a flawlessly convincing argument to say one of these is the best of all time. I don't feel there's a way to accurately rank these individuals.

This x 10000000000000000000000000000000
Michael Jordan.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

What did Ali do to rate the #1 greatest athlete of all time? He lost on more than one occasion to guys he was favored to beat. Now I am not saying Ali wasnt a great figher but # 1 all time among all athletes ever? I dont see that.

What is wrong about this list is that there isnt a baseball player on it. A bit of a bias dont you think? Babe Ruth and Willie Mays should absolutley be on a list over a boxer and 2 swimmers.

When you look at everything that goes into being a great athlete Jim Thorpe probably should be #1.

An olympic swimmer is a far superior athlete than a baseball player... Willie Mays probably wouldnt even show up till the 20's on my list and considering how there are thousands of terrific athletes around the world its really not a big deal that he didnt crack my top ten. You wont see Mario Andretti, Tiger Woods or any cricket players on my top ten list either.

The problem with a poll like this, is that its all a matter of opinion. You could ask this question in Austria and I doubt Jerry Rice or Jim Brown would even come up in the discussion.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

An olympic swimmer is a far superior athlete than a baseball player... Willie Mays probably wouldnt even show up till the 20's on my list and considering how there are thousands of terrific athletes around the world its really not a big deal that he didnt crack my top ten. You wont see Mario Andretti, Tiger Woods or any cricket players on my top ten list either.

The problem with a poll like this, is that its all a matter of opinion. You could ask this question in Austria and I doubt Jerry Rice or Jim Brown would even come up in the discussion.

I am sure NASCAR fans, bless their pea-pickin' hearts , would like to see Tiny Lund. Fatty Johnson or Bobby Joe Thorton atop the list.

It's hard work drinving in a circle at 200 miles an hour for 3 - 5 hours.

It's harder work to stay awake that long to watch it.
Babe Ruth.

The guy was an amazing pitcher as well as an amazing slugger during the deadball era of baseball when no one could hit home-runs and he did this all with having a ton of off-the-field issues.

Most naturally gifted man ever to play sports.
no brainer... Rashaun Woods 49ers
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

I disagree that an olympic swimmer is a far superior athlete. Maybe you didnt play baseball but try hitting a 90+ MPH fastball and tell me that. I agree that a swimmer is a much more conditioned athlete but not someone with better skills. Babe Ruth was SO much better than his competition for such a long time that I dont see how he could be left off any top 10 list.

I do agree that these things are all a matter of opinion and that we couldnt get anyone to agree on a top 10 list.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
This poll is too biased towards American athletes.

My pick, Johann Cruyff.

Even Beckenbauer, who is somewhat of an egomaniac has said Cruyff was one of the best, if not the best in the sport.

yep, dude was a beast. And won 4 Ballon D'ors. 4!

I'm glad someone in this board has heard of him.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

Good stuff

However, nothing beats Adam Dale's catch. I have fond memories of seeing it as a kid.

#2 clip:

-9fA
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Michael Jordan.

Yep and its not even close. He dominated with ease.

My pick, Johann Cruyff.

Even Beckenbauer, who is somewhat of an egomaniac has said Cruyff was one of the best, if not the best in the sport.

Yes he was one AMAZING player to watch on the pitch....although all we have is old videos....he would still be highly regrded even in todays game.

Oh and he is on my All Time team...what in the hell happened to that anyways , my team would have pwned with Biscain
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

My pick, Johann Cruyff.

Yes he was one AMAZING player to watch on the pitch....although all we have is old videos....he would still be highly regrded even in todays game.

Oh and he is on my All Time team...what in the hell happened to that anyways , my team would have pwned with Biscain

I still hate you for taking Cruyff right before I took. no biggie though, I got Platini.

also, isn't it Bican, not Biscain?
also, isn't it Bican?

I think it's Bican.

Another example how a phenomenal athlete gets stuck in obscurity because of the team for which he played, or the lack of media coverage, or just the lack of charisma.

Bican, for those don't know was arguably the greatest Czech football player ever. He was a 5x European Golden Boot winner.

An example of somewhat overrated player. Great , but still overrated is Ronaldo.

I could say that Ballack is also overrated. Can't stand him - A pure opportunist.

Back to Ronaldo - Nothing against Ronaldo from Real Madrid. Great player who sometimes appears more concerned with preserving his marketability off the pitch than helping his team. Does a lot of impressive, but unnecessary dribbling instead of passing.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone