Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
6. Jim Thorpe (this dude did everything)
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

how could you put Phelps above Ali? Ali's #1 for me, and Jordan #2.

What did Ali do to rate the #1 greatest athlete of all time? He lost on more than one occasion to guys he was favored to beat. Now I am not saying Ali wasnt a great figher but # 1 all time among all athletes ever? I dont see that.

What is wrong about this list is that there isnt a baseball player on it. A bit of a bias dont you think? Babe Ruth and Willie Mays should absolutley be on a list over a boxer and 2 swimmers.

When you look at everything that goes into being a great athlete Jim Thorpe probably should be #1.

An olympic swimmer is a far superior athlete than a baseball player... Willie Mays probably wouldnt even show up till the 20's on my list and considering how there are thousands of terrific athletes around the world its really not a big deal that he didnt crack my top ten. You wont see Mario Andretti, Tiger Woods or any cricket players on my top ten list either.

The problem with a poll like this, is that its all a matter of opinion. You could ask this question in Austria and I doubt Jerry Rice or Jim Brown would even come up in the discussion.

In that case, Tim Duncan trumps all of these guys. He was capable of doing big things as a swimmer if he didn't play basketball.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 28, 2011 at 09:29:27 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

What did Ali do to rate the #1 greatest athlete of all time? He lost on more than one occasion to guys he was favored to beat. Now I am not saying Ali wasnt a great figher but # 1 all time among all athletes ever? I dont see that.

What is wrong about this list is that there isnt a baseball player on it. A bit of a bias dont you think? Babe Ruth and Willie Mays should absolutley be on a list over a boxer and 2 swimmers.

When you look at everything that goes into being a great athlete Jim Thorpe probably should be #1.

An olympic swimmer is a far superior athlete than a baseball player... Willie Mays probably wouldnt even show up till the 20's on my list and considering how there are thousands of terrific athletes around the world its really not a big deal that he didnt crack my top ten. You wont see Mario Andretti, Tiger Woods or any cricket players on my top ten list either.

The problem with a poll like this, is that its all a matter of opinion. You could ask this question in Austria and I doubt Jerry Rice or Jim Brown would even come up in the discussion.

In that case, Tim Duncan trumps all of these guys. He was capable of doing big things as a swimmer if he didn't play basketball.

Like what? Make swimming more boring than it already is?
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Jerry Rice
3. Michael Phelps
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Carl Lewis
7. Diego Maradonna
8. Wayne Gretzky
9. Pele
10. Mark Spitz

Like what? Make swimming more boring than it already is?

Quote:
Duncan was a bright pupil and dreamt of becoming an Olympic-level swimmer like his sister, Tricia.[5][6] His parents were very supportive and Duncan excelled at swimming, becoming a teenage standout in the 50, 100 and 400 meters freestyle and aiming to make the 1992 Olympic Games as a member of the United States Team.
When Hurricane Hugo destroyed the island's only Olympic-sized swimming pool in 1989, Duncan was forced to swim in the ocean and he quickly lost his enthusiasm for swimming because of his fear of sharks.[4] Duncan was dealt another emotional blow when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and died one day before his 14th birthday.[5] In her last days, she made Duncan and his sisters promise to finish college with a degree, which would later explain Duncan's reluctance to leave college early.[7] Duncan never swam competitively again, but was inspired by his brother-in-law to turn to basketball
Way to kill the joke.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Way to kill the joke.

I know, I know...what can I say...I am a Spurs fan.
spud webb
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kenyonsdad:
Eddie House

Butterbean
It is pointless debating greatest athlete of all time, the best you can argue is best athlete in each individual sport.
BJ "the prodigy" Penn!

Just joking.

Jordan. Ronaldinho, tiger, beckham, they're all on jordans jock and so am I.

People were murdered for his shoes. Game over. On to the next one. One to the next one.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Nobody EVER dominated their sport like Jordan nobody ever has or ever will.

The end all of this debate is simple there is no other sport where the greatest of all time is not disputed other than basketball where everyone agress the GOAT is Michael Jordan.

Incorrect, look up Don Bradman.
Jim Brown and Herschell Walker
Originally posted by pelos21:
Butterbean

definition of a true gifted athlete
Originally posted by pelos21:
Butterbean

Share 49ersWebzone