LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 232 users in the forums

Arenas Suspended Indefinitely

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Arenas charged with a felony

Contract terminated

Doesn't he have to get convicted first? I'd bet that he pleas down to a misdemeanor.

your are right
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Contract terminated

Doesn't he have to get convicted first? I'd bet that he pleas down to a misdemeanor.

I'd bet he doesn't get substantial jail time and the Wizards don't have enough to void.
Originally posted by dobophile:

I knew it. No way could he argue that "place of business" was meant to encompass the Verizon Center.

Curious, what is exactly is a place of business then?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I knew it. No way could he argue that "place of business" was meant to encompass the Verizon Center.

Curious, what is exactly is a place of business then?

-9fA

I'm not exactly sure, since the statute is vague. But the only way the prosecutors wouldn't have charged him with a felony is if they believed the Verizon Center counted as Arenas's "place of business."

D.C. Code 22-4504(a)(1):
No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law [and] a person who violates this section by carrying a pistol, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law... in a place other than the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both.

I think a reasonable interpretation here is that "place of business" means a business owner's place of business---since the language suggests it has to do with property owned or possessed by the person. Gilbert Arenas does not own the Wizards, nor does he own the Verizon Center. And, regardless, the NBA outlaws players having weapons in an arena anyway.

Ah, I agree with your interpretation. In that context, it makes sense.

Cheers.

-9fA
The Zards couldn't be happier.

In a city with no shortage of outrageously bad contracts (Albert Haynesworth, Clinton Portis, etc), Gil's contract is generally thought to be the dumbest deal of them all. Gil's "go straight to jail" card is the Zards "get out of jail free" card.
Originally posted by crzy:

Contract terminated

I'd bet he doesn't get substantial jail time and the Wizards don't have enough to void.

If I had bet you from the beginning with all your predictions I would be rich

[ Edited by blizzuntz on Jan 14, 2010 at 17:57:05 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Locked up for 5 years?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Contract terminated

The Washington Post is reporting that he won't do substantial jail time, and the Wizrds won't have enough to void.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Contract terminated

The only thing I was wrong about from the beginning was that David Stern would suspend Arenas.

And I had no idea Arenas would piss off Stern with that picture. Otherwise, he would have gotten a minor suspension.

Contract terminated

The only thing I was wrong about from the beginning was that David Stern would suspend Arenas.

And I had no idea Arenas would piss off Stern with that picture. Otherwise, he would have gotten a minor suspension.

So being charged with a felony "is a slap on the wrist"

The picture only speeded up the process of him getting suspended. You would think $111 million alone would make him act more professional. Stern suspended much more quickly bc he was acting so unprofessional about the whole situation

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Contract terminated

The picture only speeded up the process of him getting suspended. You would think $111 million alone would make him act more professional. Stern suspended much more quickly bc he was acting so unprofessional about the whole situation

Being charged with a felony where you could end up with no jail time at all = slap on the wrist.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I look forward to the ensuing drama when the Wizards try to void Arenas' contract and fail and are stuck with a pissed off Arenas for 4 years.

Contract terminated

Being charged with a felony where you could end up with no jail time at all = slap on the wrist.

The thing that's working against him though is that he has a prior conviction for gun possession. That kind of thing pisses judges off, and even if they agree on a plea bargain..the judge has to agree on the sentencing. We'll see.

Contract terminated

The thing that's working against him though is that he has a prior conviction for gun possession. That kind of thing pisses judges off, and even if they agree on a plea bargain..the judge has to agree on the sentencing. We'll see.

But what works in his favor is the community service and other acts of charity that he's involved in. That the guns were not loaded will also play into his favor.
Share 49ersWebzone