LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Sacramento Kings 2009-2010 thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Do you guys think Beno is the long-term complement to Tyreke? Or should we try to upgrade?

Story

Keep Beno and upgrade. He's a great backup. You will see if and when the Kings make the playoffs. Beno will disappear. Take it from a Spurs fan who has seen him tighten up countless times and this was coming off the bench.

He does have some ugly playoff numbers, but is it possible that he struggled because he was just a young reserve? He only averaged 8.6 minutes per game in the playoffs.

I think he's grown since then. And Beno is notorious here for playing well as a starter and struggling off the bench.

Can't say for sure.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Do you guys think Beno is the long-term complement to Tyreke? Or should we try to upgrade?

Story

Keep Beno and upgrade. He's a great backup. You will see if and when the Kings make the playoffs. Beno will disappear. Take it from a Spurs fan who has seen him tighten up countless times and this was coming off the bench.

Beno is definitely a different player than his SA days. He was a young player who didn't really get PT. He is a nice backup PT. He knows his role this year. Certainly, he is an over paid backup, but he has been effective in his role. Although, I don't really feel comfortable with him as a long term starter. I wouldn't mind keeping him as the third guard, and upgrading, but that is easier said then done.
[ Edited by sacniner on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Simply amazing. Just another example of how SC and ESPN are so biased, this was #6 on the top plays today....really? 6? Especially since he got fouled too.

The NBA... where Tyreke happens.
Damn.. Portland just ripped us a new one. I don't even know how to respond to tonights game.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Damn.. Portland just ripped us a new one. I don't even know how to respond to tonights game.

It happens. We played poorly, too many turnovers, and Roy was 10-13. Hard to stop that. Tough to watch.

On a side note, that was a horribly officiated game.

It happens. We played poorly, too many turnovers, and Roy was 10-13. Hard to stop that. Tough to watch.

Yes that was a horribly officiated game. Both teams seemed to get frustrated with the officiating tonight. The calls both ways were horrendous. IMO Roy was smart and yelled loud as hell anytime there happened to be minimal contact. He seemed to get whatever he wanted.

Then Juwan Howard gets called for a flagrant foul on JT in the 2nd half. That kind of play happens all the time in NBA games. JT is just wild as hell and his momentum was what made his fall so bad. It really killed the flow of the game and made it no fun to watch. Even if the game was closer the officiating ruined it for me to be honest with you.

IMO that was probably one of our worst losses of the season. Just haven't seen us get so badly outplayed on both ends of the court this bad this year. Hopefully we can bounce back Sunday and put this game behind us.
[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:20 PM ]

Yes that was a horribly officiated game. Both teams seemed to get frustrated with the officiating tonight. The calls both ways were horrendous. IMO Roy was smart and yelled loud as hell anytime there happened to be minimal contact. He seemed to get whatever he wanted.

Then Juwan Howard gets called for a flagrant foul on JT in the 2nd half. That kind of play happens all the time in NBA games. JT is just wild as hell and his momentum was what made his fall so bad. It really killed the flow of the game and made it no fun to watch. Even if the game was closer the officiating ruined it for me to be honest with you.

IMO that was probably one of our worst losses of the season. Just haven't seen us get so badly outplayed on both ends of the court this bad this year. Hopefully we can bounce back Sunday and put this game behind us.

Nah IMO it was a flagrant. He didn't make a play on the ball at all, he just grabbed his shoulder and pulled him down. That can be a dangerous play and the definition of a flagrant is a foul that has no intention of going for the ball. That's what it was so...

Still crappy officiating. They had like 20 FTs in the first half on bump fouls and our guys are getting mugged and no call. But at the same time our guys were giving dumb f**king fouls. It's like the refs are already against you, don't give them an excuse to call more fouls. Donte got mugged a few times and no call. Beno and JT each had a couple STUPID STUPID fouls. We just shot our self in the foot way too much to win this game when combined with the TOs.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Nah IMO it was a flagrant. He didn't make a play on the ball at all, he just grabbed his shoulder and pulled him down. That can be a dangerous play and the definition of a flagrant is a foul that has no intention of going for the ball. That's what it was so...

Still crappy officiating. They had like 20 FTs in the first half on bump fouls and our guys are getting mugged and no call. But at the same time our guys were giving dumb f**king fouls. It's like the refs are already against you, don't give them an excuse to call more fouls. Donte got mugged a few times and no call. Beno and JT each had a couple STUPID STUPID fouls. We just shot our self in the foot way too much to win this game when combined with the TOs.

Only positive from this game i can see, and it's still a negative because Evans still only had 10 pts, but it was nice to see a double double from him after his triple double last game.
The season is almost over fellas. So far how do you feel about it?
Originally posted by rigs49:

As far as Wins/losses goes, about right.
Thought Evans would be good, but he's been better than expected.
Hoped to see more out of JT, Knew Spencer isn't the answer at C.
Thought going in, it'd be interesting to see the dynamic between Martin and Evans, too bad Martin got hurt.
Looking forward, interesting to see where this team goes. Will Landry be the starter long term or a good bench player? We definitely still need some low post help.

Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Only positive from this game i can see, and it's still a negative because Evans still only had 10 pts, but it was nice to see a double double from him after his triple double last game.

Yeah I want him to keep pounding the boards so he can get the 20/5/5 accomplishment.

I feel good for the most part. It's the first time since 2003 when Webber's knee crumbled that we've had a franchise guy we can build around. First time since 06 we had a coach who doesn't have his head up his ass. We have A LOT of young talent like Donte/Casspi/JT/Hawes and then some decent young vets like Beno/Landry(who is actually a really good player). We're going to have a top 7 pick most likely and we're going to have 15-20 mill to play with. I think we can get 45-50 wins next year and be the OKC of next year.

The young guy I think has the most potential is probably Donte Greene. The only thing is he's got guys ahead of him/competing with him at all positions. Carl is ahead of Donte at the 4, Casspi/Cisco competing with him for minutes at the 3, and Beno playing the 2 makes Tyreke a lot more effective.

The young guy I was most dissapointed with was easily Spencer, I would've liked some consistency from him this year. He was all over the place. Some games he looked like an absolute badass like against LA and Boston, other games he was just nonexistant. He needs to work on getting stronger and stuff in the offseason so he can use all his post moves which was the reason we drafted him IIRC, because he had a good repetoire of post moves in college. Also so he stops getting pushed around by guys like Chris Kaman. He's still only 21 though so there's still time for him to develop.

The only discouraging thing is it seems like we've regressed. Part of it is natural with a young team getting tired. But part of it was we stopped executing. That's also part of being young, but after the way we played earlier this year, I was expecting us to improve as the season progressed. And no, I don't blame any of that on Kevin Martin. Our decline started way before that. There is still time to finish strong.

The biggest surprise has been the play of Beno. After last year's debacle, I wasn't counting on him for anything. But he's been a rock for us. And him with Tyreke has been a perfect pairing.

I'm convinced Carl Landry can be the starting PF for us for a while. This is his 3rd year in the league and he's basically dependable for at least 16 and 7 every night. He shoots well. He plays the post. He hits his free throws. He scraps. And his attitude is awesome.

The biggest disappointments are JT and Spencer. No real progress. JT is active, but he's a mental case. Taken out of his game too easily. Until he fixes that, he's nothing more than a bench guy. Spencer shows no skill defensively or on the boards. It's like he's glued to the floor. Both guys are young, so you can only hope they improve.

The wildcard has been Donte Greene. Nobody has shown more improvement. If he can continue his progression, we may have a real gem. Love him at the 4, but maybe he's the future starting 3. Defends three positions, great shooting stroke. Learning the game.

I would have been happier with some better play in the last few months, but really, I think we're on the right track. Two keepers in Tyreke and Landry. One more lottery pick and a decent FA pick up and we could be around .500 next year, maybe better.

I have mixed feelings. I was extremely excited early on, like all Kings fans. Lately, I have been really negative when talking about the Kings. Thinking rationally, I am obviously really excited about Tyreke. Not sure if he is a PG or not, but I know he is a ball player and a damn good one. I'm sure he knows this, but he really needs to improve his shot, really bad. If he does, he will be a top flight offensive player in this league and he is also good on D. I am also excited about Donte Green. He has loads of potential. He is probably the best pure athlete on the squad. Also, he has size and can shoot. Landry and Beno are keepers. Westphal has done a good job this year. There are some things to look forward to.

The biggest disappointments have been Spencer and JT. Before the year started, honestly, I thought JT was not good. Early on, his play changed my mind. But at this point I honestly think he sucks. His mid range game is inconsistent at best, he is always out of control and he has no post game. He can't play D without fouling and he complains a lot even on obvious fouls. I had high hopes for Spencer, but he has regressed this year. I still have faith in him because he has special skills for a 7 footer. Also, I get a lot of heat from other Kings fans for this, I'm not as high on Casspi as most fans. He has been a better than decent rookie, but he was only good for half the year. His jumper is inconsistent, but he is a gritty player. I don't want to drink the kool-aid that Grant Nappear has been selling all year.

I'm not as optimistic as WillistheWall about next year. I don't think we'll be a playoff team next year because we are so young and will have a another high pick that will play a lot of minutes. I just hope we are exciting to watch next year. The primary focus for me right now is a new arena.
Originally posted by sacniner:

I have mixed feelings. I was extremely excited early on, like all Kings fans. Lately, I have been really negative when talking about the Kings. Thinking rationally, I am obviously really excited about Tyreke. Not sure if he is a PG or not, but I know he is a ball player and a damn good one. I'm sure he knows this, but he really needs to improve his shot, really bad. If he does, he will be a top flight offensive player in this league and he is also good on D. I am also excited about Donte Green. He has loads of potential. He is probably the best pure athlete on the squad. Also, he has size and can shoot. Landry and Beno are keepers. Westphal has done a good job this year. There are some things to look forward to.

The biggest disappointments have been Spencer and JT. Before the year started, honestly, I thought JT was not good. Early on, his play changed my mind. But at this point I honestly think he sucks. His mid range game is inconsistent at best, he is always out of control and he has no post game. He can't play D without fouling and he complains a lot even on obvious fouls. I had high hopes for Spencer, but he has regressed this year. I still have faith in him because he has special skills for a 7 footer. Also, I get a lot of heat from other Kings fans for this, I'm not as high on Casspi as most fans. He has been a better than decent rookie, but he was only good for half the year. His jumper is inconsistent, but he is a gritty player. I don't want to drink the kool-aid that Grant Nappear has been selling all year.

I'm not as optimistic as WillistheWall about next year. I don't think we'll be a playoff team next year because we are so young and will have a another high pick that will play a lot of minutes. I just hope we are exciting to watch next year. The primary focus for me right now is a new arena.

All of this talk about Evans being a point or not I don't get. Look at his numbers, their right up there with other points. Then add the fact of who he plays with and how many missed shots that would go to his assist there are and he still is a rookie. If we keep him at point, I have no doubt he'll continue to grow and become a dominate point.
Share 49ersWebzone