49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 844 users in the forums

Keeping Mac Jones as a Backup

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we should trade him, but for at least Alex Smith price two 2nd's, or a 1st. Then keep the reclamation projects going, sign Zach Wilson to a two year deal. If he sucks, Rourke will likely be ok.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think we should trade him, but for at least Alex Smith price two 2nd's, or a 1st. Then keep the reclamation projects going, sign Zach Wilson to a two year deal. If he sucks, Rourke will likely be ok.

100% it depends on the offer. If we get offered a 2nd or 2 3's it's a thank you for your service had shake and hug.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
100% it depends on the offer. If we get offered a 2nd or 2 3's it's a thank you for your service had shake and hug.

I wouldn't take that, we'll probably get a 3rd as a comp pick, also the team that gets him has him practically for free next year (granted they'll probably have to negotiate, but puts them in a strong position) I want more.
I think he'll want to leave with Klay Kubiak. Both going to the Steelers seems like a nice scenario for them. Mac would be appreciated there by the fanbase, and Klay would be given all the support he needs from the owners.
  • FL9r
  • Member
  • Posts: 335
I was a keep him at any cost earlier in the season but given all of our needs we can't afford to turndown the draft value. He is a luxury we can't afford.
I've grown to love the guy. But he will be gone with the right offer. We have too many holes to fill and need the picks.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,735
If he leaves and Brock gets hurt next year.....
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,726
Originally posted by Baldie:
If he leaves and Brock gets hurt next year.....

Every team can say this. Shanahan can bring in the next castoff as a QB2 to compete.
Originally posted by FL9r:
I was a keep him at any cost earlier in the season but given all of our needs we can't afford to turndown the draft value. He is a luxury we can't afford.

Largely agree with this. Would be great to have a capable backup, especially given that Purdy sees a lot of action behind that OL, but we need to allocate every available resource to improving the roster.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
I've grown to love the guy. But he will be gone with the right offer. We have too many holes to fill and need the picks.

Agree entirely. Need the draft capitol.
Mac Jones has tremendous value for the 49ers as a backup so it will be interesting to see how much other teams value having a good QB.
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
I really hope we can keep Mac as a backup. Having a backup like him is priceless if Brock ever gets injured. Not sure Mac wants to stay a backup though.

Keeping him as a backup would be huge but we just have too many needs this offseason. If you can get a 2 or 3 you have to take it
  • All22
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,889
Of course you keep Mac. Having a backup that can win games, has a tiny contract and understands the system completely is a necessity with Brock's injury history.
  • fropwns
  • The Last Fronin
  • Posts: 27,976
You have to move him while he has value.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone