LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Biggest offseason need

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest offseason need

Pretty nice to finally feel comfortable at the QB position, and I only added that as an option for those who still think we need a veteran backup. Seems that each year that goes by, whatever holes the team may have, the need isn't as glaring as the previous.
Good thread imo I vote Quarterback

edit - to flesh out my reasoning if you don't have a guy without question marks that means you don't have a guy
it's the most important position in sports
TL's question marks are play time, development
BP's question marks are health

KS question, what offense do we run, TL style or BP style? Do we ask TL to run the BP stuff?

if I had to go non QB to not make this a QB thread / discussion I would say OT
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Feb 8, 2023 at 1:30 PM ]
A high-end center would make the biggest impact on this team.

RT is probably the biggest need, per se.

But a run stopping DT that can push the pocket is what I want.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Feb 8, 2023 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I like all this. what if we just redo Brendel at center? or do you want to move on?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I like all this. what if we just redo Brendel at center? or do you want to move on?

I'm okay with Brendel just depends on what he wants going forward.

It just seems like our run blocking went down this year and Brendel was a big reason for that. Center in Kyle's scheme is just so important.

An upgrade at center would help out the young guards we have on the team as well.

But i've always been a BPA guy in the draft.
They need one or two big, strong interior DL that are built to withstand a barrage of double teams for an entire season. The 49ers go with a rotation of IDL that give max effort and then get subbed out. I don't think this is a great approach when factoring how much stress the IDL are under in this scheme for an entire season, especially considering how small some of our IDL are. The DL group needs a few big bodies inside that are built to withstand the punishment of 17 games in this scheme. In an ideal world, they have a starter like a DJ Jones with a little juice to get upfield, create knockback and generate some pass rush when he's 1-on-1 in base, but I think we'll settle with specialized run stoppers for now.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 8, 2023 at 1:56 PM ]
  • thl408
I voted RT because I have no idea what McKivitz can do. Maybe he's good, maybe he's poop (or anywhere in between). Not a good position to have a big question mark at. My guess is it's his job to lose because signing a vet RT in free agency is not easy. Same goes for Center, not easy to fill, but Brendl is fine (if he re-signs).

The easiest need to fill via free agency is a run stuffing DT. I think re-signing Ridgeway is an adequate answer there. Otherwise, draft and develop here.
I don't think signing a vet QB to be QB3 is as important as OT, C, S, DT.
Originally posted by thl408:
I voted RT because I have no idea what McKivitz can do. Maybe he's good, maybe he's poop (or anywhere in between). Not a good position to have a big question mark at. My guess is it's his job to lose because signing a vet RT in free agency is not easy. Same goes for Center, not easy to fill, but Brendl is fine (if he re-signs).

The easiest need to fill via free agency is a run stuffing DT. I think re-signing Ridgeway is an adequate answer there. Otherwise, draft and develop here.

good post.. the way I look at it anyone QB3 on this squad is very much in the convo to start meaningful football games, based on team history. and if BP has slowdowns with his recovery, that guy moves to QB2 or QB1 based on how TL is looking months from now in summer.

I agree DT is the easiest position to find in FA. But I wasn't too impressed with Ridgeway.

He's not bad, but he doesn't play up to the standard I want our Dline playing at.

Kinlaw falls into that category too.
What we need is player development.

We have drafted quite a bit of O-line & DB players that should be able to contribute by now. We also drafted D-line players that SHOULD be turning that corner as well.

Our biggest off season need may just be "best player available" in the draft. Free agency, I think is mainly about signing our own guys and adding more depth.

With that said, biggest offseason need could turn out to be a kicker.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Promote, sign or draft a replacement for McGlinchey at RT. No need to pay him, use the savings to sign a FA DE to help opposite Bosa and to re-sign our own FA's.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 8, 2023 at 2:00 PM ]
  • thl408

I agree DT is the easiest position to find in FA. But I wasn't too impressed with Ridgeway.

He's not bad, but he doesn't play up to the standard I want our Dline playing at.

Kinlaw falls into that category too.

All the positions listed in the poll, I don't think we can expect an impact free agent (ex: Mooney Ward last year). 49ers don't have the cap space to make a similar type signing. So my bar is lowered to "solid vet". I agree with you on getting an impact DT, but there's no free agent money for that.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
What we need is player development.

We have drafted quite a bit of O-line & DB players that should be able to contribute by now. We also drafted D-line players that SHOULD be turning that corner as well.

Our biggest off season need may just be "best player available" in the draft. Free agency, I think is mainly about signing our own guys and adding more depth.

With that said, biggest offseason need could turn out to be a kicker.

I agree. Robbie will turn 41 next season which is in his 90s in NFL years.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
An OT that can play right tackle and hopefully can do a credible job playing left tackle due to Trents age. Interior DLine depth, Rookie QB#3, and some defensive back depth, maybe a kicker that can compete with Mr. Gould. Hopefully the comp picks and some 7th round magic can land the 49ers some depth and talent at some of these positions.
Edge is our biggest need opposite of Bosa IMO. I felt our pass rush was non existent the past 4-6 games.
Share 49ersWebzone