Biggest offseason need

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest offseason need

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
What we need is player development.

We have drafted quite a bit of O-line & DB players that should be able to contribute by now. We also drafted D-line players that SHOULD be turning that corner as well.

Our biggest off season need may just be "best player available" in the draft. Free agency, I think is mainly about signing our own guys and adding more depth.

With that said, biggest offseason need could turn out to be a kicker.

I agree. Robbie will turn 41 next season which is in his 90s in NFL years.

No need to address kicker at this time. Robby has a good 3/4 years left.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Promote, sign or draft a replacement for McGlinchey at RT. No need to pay him, use the savings to sign a FA DE to help opposite Bosa and to re-sign our own FA's.

We have drafted quite a bit of O-line & DB players that should be able to contribute by now. We also drafted D-line players that SHOULD be turning that corner as well.

Our biggest off season need may just be "best player available" in the draft. Free agency, I think is mainly about signing our own guys and adding more depth.

Robby is a free agent

I'd be fine if we go year to year on Robbie and keep extending.. until he shows he's done. He still has it. You may be right here.
RT>DT>Edge>C>S>CB>QB>K>G
Originally posted by braap49er:
Edge is our biggest need opposite of Bosa IMO. I felt our pass rush was non existent the past 4-6 games.

I wouldn't say our pass rush was nonexistent or bad, but I think adding another good-great pass rusher would be huge for our defense. You can never have enough.

Not sure how they would get it done without a high draft pick or a bunch of cash to spend in FA.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Robby is a free agent

Ok, sign him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
D-Tackle, IMO is the biggest need. Hasaan Redick, Hyder and Givens will all be free agents.
Free safety is the biggest need. Literally have zero signed. Any other position at least here is a body.
I'm torn between RT and IOL. McGlinchey being a FA means that until or unless we re-sign him we have a pretty big hole on the line. If he doesn't re-sign I hope Kyle has a good replacement in mind, but OL in general should be the biggest priority in general to keep whoever the QB is upright.

Might be DB if Wilks likes to play alot of nickel.We are still thin at DB in my opinion.

Pretty thin along the OL as well.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Feb 8, 2023 at 2:56 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
I voted RT because I have no idea what McKivitz can do. Maybe he's good, maybe he's poop (or anywhere in between). Not a good position to have a big question mark at. My guess is it's his job to lose because signing a vet RT in free agency is not easy. Same goes for Center, not easy to fill, but Brendl is fine (if he re-signs).

The easiest need to fill via free agency is a run stuffing DT. I think re-signing Ridgeway is an adequate answer there. Otherwise, draft and develop here.
I don't think signing a vet QB to be QB3 is as important as OT, C, S, DT.

I'm in agreement at RT. If we can't resign McGlinchey, then RT becomes the greatest question mark on the team, assuming we have a healthy QB. If MM goes, we are stuck with McKivitz for better or worse. In looking at the list of FA tackles the cupboard is bare of any quality at all.

As to Center, we will have to stay in-house as there is no quality short of $7-10M/yr, and that is out of the question.

We have a lot of young guys on the team that are going to have to step up as we have more guys to sign than we can afford.
I would be surprised to see Kinlaw finally live up to his draft status. Our short yardage defense was one of the worse in the league this past season. That starts with the interior d line.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I would be surprised to see Kinlaw finally live up to his draft status. Our short yardage defense was one of the worse in the league this past season. That starts with the interior d line.

Think positive, if Kin can come back, he'd really help with short yardage and run defense.
We need to shore up the OL. RT if McG doesnt come back cheaper on a hometown discount. We need some depth on the DL as well. Other than that, we should be good. Anything else we get is a bonus.
Share 49ersWebzone