There are 277 users in the forums

Will our offense be different with Lance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
The offense will be different because Kyle no longer has Mike McDaniel to tell him what to do.

Ohhhhhhahaha.

Come to think of it, stylistically, we could see some serious differences in the running game alone now not just because of the new OL and their strengths but in the game plans.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2022 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Seeing a trend among those that agree with me; waiting for response from those that won't agree cause I think I know who it will be

You were originally trying to prop up the historic ATL offense under Kyle's YOLO OC role and imply that that's what he wants as a HC here, ignoring 6 years of off season team building to the contrary to that where the running game and defense has been front and center. That year, a classic pocket passer, had 536 passing attempts for nearly 5K yards. Nuts. Would that be fun? Hell yeah. But is that how Kyle's built this team thus far? Not so much.

But let's see if it starts to evolve next off season.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2022 at 4:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Seeing a trend among those that agree with me; waiting for response from those that won't agree cause I think I know who it will be

You were originally trying to prop up the historic ATL offense under Kyle's YOLO OC role and imply that that's what he wants as a HC here, ignoring 6 years of off season team building to the contrary to that where the running game and defense has been front and center. That year, a classic pocket passer, had 536 passing attempts for nearly 5K yards. Nuts. Would that be fun? Hell yeah. But is that how Kyle's built this team thus far? Not so much.

I wasn't ignoring anything; you jumped in on my post with Memphis. Prop up? I simply said that I believe the offense he ran/had there was more a reflection of what he wants then the limited one we've had here. Seems like a no s**t sherlock too me; as you said a historic offense with a QB playing at an MVP level and humming run game. The running game was still top notch at that time and the defense was rightfully so on Dan Quinn. You keep throwing out that team building thing; was Trey Lance not a part of it? Oh wait, you answered my question regarding that with a good ol THIS OFF-SEASON

You all over the place man. In Danny Gray thread you saying essentially the offense "6 years team building" is exactly what Kyle wants and it will all be the same and then contradict yourself in this thread
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
You can see differences of how he played when doing the incorrect thing, learning from that and staying on script, off script, etc. in this clip.

Courtesy of Dsoto87:
The ONE Thing that will make or break Trey Lance

No doubt Kyle will call to his strengths and grind in the subtleties of optimal RAC as that is how the rest of the personnel were built + run-centric focus (run to set up the PA).

That wonderful mobility and arm strength is going to be a big difference-maker between last years offense and this years offense. I think Kyle was busy designing new plays just after the 49ers drafted Trey (I think) on a plane ride back from wherever they were (or was it after his pro-day?) on his computer pad.

Personally, I'd design an offense around Trey's wonderful mobility. That scramble drill would be more of a staple in my version of the 49er offense vs just another plan B play call off a typical broken 5 step pocket pass play. In other words, depending on how Trey moves, in a designed scramble drill, the WR's will move certain ways, or run certain option routes. Montana and Steve used those option routes big time in many playoff games they both had. A redesigned scramble drill is just one way to use his wonderful mobility.

Arm strength - with Danny Gray - is an obvious play call. Rocket arm meet blazingly fast WR. Potential TD every time Gray can snag a Trey Rocket. Where I think Trey might have some difficulty, is the short passing game. I think Trey's rocket arm might have some trouble throwing the soft lobs to the RB on a flair out. How long he'll take to master that short pass to the RB, FB, or OW is going to be how long it will take to go from a primarily run offense to possibly more of a pass offense.

I think it will still be a ball control offense. Now whether it's a ball control pass or ball control run offense - is going to depend on Trey's development.
The way we will attack the defense through the air will absolutely change with Trey. However, I don't see Kyle ever calling 700 pass attempts in a season. We will still be a run oriented offense with a passing game that compliments it.

Looking at the types of backs and o lineman Shanhan and Lynch have been drafting the past 2 seasons, I see a shift in how they want to run the ball and attack the defense. The offense imo, will be the opposite of what its been. With Jimmy, it was a stretch the defense horizontally in the running game to open up the quick in breaking routes in the passing game. With Trey, it could become stretch the defense out verically in order to open up the middle for the run game.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on May 23, 2022 at 6:27 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
The way we will attack the defense through the air will absolutely change with Trey. However, I don't see Kyle ever calling 700 pass attempts in a season. We will still be a run oriented offense with a passing game that compliments it.

Looking at the types of backs and o lineman Shanhan and Lynch have been drafting the past 2 seasons, I see a shift in how they want to run the ball and attack the defense. The offense imo, will be the opposite of what its been. With Jimmy, it was a stretch the defense horizontally in the running game to open up the quick in breaking routes in the passing game. With Trey, it could become stretch the defense out verically in order to open up the middle for the run game.

Uh Oh! Air Coryell, here we come!
Yes, it will be different; you have another QB under center. It still all depends on Lance's accuracy, timing, and arm strength. He'll still have to throw over the middle. Does he have the accuracy to be successful? Throws to the outside. Timing and arm strength are important here, or you'll see pick 6's. And then there's health. Can he stay on the field? These factors must be considered when asking about the direction this offense goes
Depends on how you define different. The basic run first, play action concepts will remain the foundation. How the plays will be executed will be different, though. Trey is capable of things Jimmy simply isn't.
Trey is gonna start it out different. He'll throw deep early that will a) put us on the score board before OJ can get in his Bronco and b) force the opponents' D to not stack the box. Arbys are gonna eat and the offense will open up.

Here's to hoping that Drake and Bosa can tee off when we start building unusual early leads.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Lets officially call it...

The Shann and Lance Offense !!!

I wasn't ignoring anything; you jumped in on my post with Memphis. Prop up? I simply said that I believe the offense he ran/had there was more a reflection of what he wants then the limited one we've had here. Seems like a no s**t sherlock too me; as you said a historic offense with a QB playing at an MVP level and humming run game. The running game was still top notch at that time and the defense was rightfully so on Dan Quinn. You keep throwing out that team building thing; was Trey Lance not a part of it? Oh wait, you answered my question regarding that with a good ol THIS OFF-SEASON

You all over the place man. In Danny Gray thread you saying essentially the offense "6 years team building" is exactly what Kyle wants and it will all be the same and then contradict yourself in this thread

You make zero sense here.

First you tried to imply we'd be a pass centric offense and quickly referenced the ATL as your gold standard. Then you try to pivot to Danny Gray as proof we're moving towards that, once again ignoring that the Aldrick Robinson role is still just a 200-300 yard receiver who helps others too with his speed on ghost routes. That's an important role but not one that signifies Kyle is going OC pass-centric YOLO again. He's got a full team to run here and literally every moves he's made, including this off season where Trey is the clear starting QB, has screamed, "We're a running team ~ John Lynch." 6 years Kyle has had to build his team exactly how he wants.

I simply asked you what evidence do you see that signifies we're moving towards a pass centric offense now that the Garoppolo era is over?

So which is it? Is the entire philosophy changing to a more pass centric offense like in ATL (your reference) and like his predecessors in McVay and LaFleur or is he going to continue with his run-centric offense with a featured FB even with 3 first round picks used on a QB with more mobility?

I'm all ears.

Also, I've stated my projections. Let's see yours. It's all for fun. It's not like we all don't want to see a more explosive and entertaining offense even within a low volume of passing like we've done to date. Also, would love to hear your thoughts on HOW the offense will change with Trey...because it certainly will.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2022 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:

Why not just the shanalance offense? It just rolls off the tongue
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by 9moon:

Why not just the shanalance offense? It just rolls off the tongue
you're expecting too much

You make zero sense here.

First you tried to imply we'd be a pass centric offense and quickly referenced the ATL as your gold standard. Then you try to pivot to Danny Gray as proof we're moving towards that, once again ignoring that the Aldrick Robinson role is still just a 200-300 yard receiver who helps others too with his speed on ghost routes. That's an important role but not one that signifies Kyle is going OC pass-centric YOLO again. He's got a full team to run here and literally every moves he's made, including this off season where Trey is the clear starting QB, has screamed, "We're a running team ~ John Lynch." 6 years Kyle has had to build his team exactly how he wants.

I simply asked you what evidence do you see that signifies we're moving towards a pass centric offense now that the Garoppolo era is over?

So which is it? Is the entire philosophy changing to a more pass centric offense like in ATL (your reference) and like his predecessors in McVay and LaFleur or is he going to continue with his run-centric offense with a featured FB even with 3 first round picks used on a QB with more mobility?

I'm all ears.

Also, I've stated my projections. Let's see yours. It's all for fun. It's not like we all don't want to see a more explosive and entertaining offense even within a low volume of passing like we've done to date. Also, would love to hear your thoughts on HOW the offense will change with Trey...because it certainly will.

Wow NC, seriously? I make zero sense? You have now gone off the rails with this post man.

1. Show me a single post where I implied that we would move towards a pass centric offense. I've stated the exact opposite both in this thread and the Danny Gray thread. I referenced the ATL offense AS A WHOLE, both pass and run game as the offense that I believe Shanahan wants, one without limitations. An offense in which his QB uses the entire field and is playing at an MVP level while his run game is humming. The Danny Gray thread is where this conversation began and reason I created this thread; YOU are literally the reason I made this thread to begin with. Danny Gray was "pivoted" too because YOU said there was ZERO indication of him changing anything and that I couldn't use the ATL offense as an example because he was a YOLO OC only looking for a HC job. That I couldn't use Lance as indication of wanting change and you meant THIS off-season. So with those stipulations that YOU desired, I used Danny Gray as an indication for THIS off-season as him wanting the deep threat and actually with a QB that will target that deep threat.

2. You asked what? Re-read where it all began and you jumped in my post with Memphis in the Danny Gray thread.

3. You did state your projections; asked for mine; I gave you mine and you literally commented on it in this freaking thread. Seriously brah? My thoughts on how this offense will change is literally how I began this freaking thread. If you'd love to hear it again, rewind to yesterday, start from square one where you put yourself into a conversation with me in Grays thread; take a look at the post where I told you that I'd make a thread for this and you thanked me for it; take it all in; then open this thread again and come at me with something that hasn't already been answered and please reference where I implied we would be a pass centric offense.
Essentially the same. Just less predictable in the middle.
Share 49ersWebzone