LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

Will our offense be different with Lance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Perfection!

Some guesstimates.

500 rushing attempts for 2,400 yards at 4.8 yards an average (up to 500 for Trey)
515 passing attempts for 4,100 yards

It's Aiyuk's turn to be the top primary. He'll be your top 1K receiver (1,200), Deebo (1K) and Kittle (700) with guys like Jennings (500), Gray (300), Juice (300) and Ray-Ray (200) making up roughly the rest.

I think you'll see more of a passing attack outside the hashes (Aiyuk) and far less inside (Kittle). I think you're going to see heavy-heavy quick screens, fly sweeps, RPO's, PA, roll-outs, moving pockets, come backs, 9 and deep post routes, etc. and far less in-breaking, seam and quick slant routes. Naturally, you're going to see far more off schedule plays and a TT move from a league low of 2.67s to the high end of 3.12s.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2022 at 1:40 PM ]
Of course it'll be different. We'll actually see some deep shots down field for once. Isn't that why we drafted a WR ( Deep threat ) with our 3rd round pick?. I would also expect to see Kyle call some plays for Lance to showcase his ability to run. Overall. We could see a higher percentage of running plays this year. There's gonna be a lot of eye candy in the backfield with all that motion Going on. Fun times ahead.
Originally posted by thl408:
Of course it will look different. Pass/rush attempts is not what determines if an offense is different. We have to look at the style of plays being called. When was the last time Jimmy had an RPO that had him either throw a bubble screen or run it up the middle himself?

This
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Of course it'll be different. We'll actually see some deep shots down field for once. Isn't that why we drafted a WR ( Deep threat ) with our 3rd round pick?. I would also expect to see Kyle call some plays for Lance to showcase his ability to run. Overall. We could see a higher percentage of running plays this year. There's gonna be a lot of eye candy in the backfield with all that motion Going on. Fun times ahead.
would it really be different.. or just a QB who can make the throw if needed

Majority of Kyles plays have options to go from short to deep..
Originally posted by Sickaa:
would it really be different.. or just a QB who can make the throw if needed

Majority of Kyles plays have options to go from short to deep..

I'd like to think so... It's possible we could see Lance on the edge with the option to pass or run depends on what he sees.. wouldn't that be considered different?
I'm sure it will. All you gotta do is look at Kyle's history as a play caller.

It's about his personnel, especially QB/WR. That's how he schemes. He didn't make Morris and outside zone runner, just like he wasn't gonna have Jimmy throwing it all over the field.

In the small sample size we've seen, the passing game will have more options, though I'm sure we are still gonna be run heavy, especially with a 1st year starter.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on May 23, 2022 at 3:16 PM ]
Any OC/playcaller, worth their weight in gold, is going to adjust their system to fit their personnel. It is great to be able to run the ball at will but is also great to be able to pass the ball when defenses sell out to stop the run.
Seeing a trend among those that agree with me; waiting for response from those that won't agree cause I think I know who it will be

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Any OC/playcaller, worth their weight in gold, is going to adjust their system to fit their personnel. It is great to be able to run the ball at will but is also great to be able to pass the ball when defenses sell out to stop the run.

And that's something he's always done, especially during his time here. There's a huge difference between this offense and Texans offense.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
I'm sure it will. All you gotta do is look at Kyle's history as a play caller.

It's about his personnel, especially QB/WR. That's how he schemes. He didn't make Morris and outside zone runner, just like he wasn't gonna have Jimmy throwing it all over the field.

In the small sample size we've seen, the passing game will have more options, though I'm sure we are still gonna be run heavy, especially with a 1st year starter.

No doubt. You could even see differences in play calls between Trey's two starts even. It would have been fun to see the next one after that.

We're close...
You can see differences of how he played when doing the incorrect thing, learning from that and staying on script, off script, etc. in this clip.

Courtesy of Dsoto87:
The ONE Thing that will make or break Trey Lance

No doubt Kyle will call to his strengths and grind in the subtleties of optimal RAC as that is how the rest of the personnel were built + run-centric focus (run to set up the PA).
The offense will be different because Kyle no longer has Mike McDaniel to tell him what to do.
Share 49ersWebzone