LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Will our offense be different with Lance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by thl408:
Good thoughts. I think Kyle saw his scheme spread around the league (LAR, MIN, GB, CLE, NYJ, etc.) and knew it was time to adjust. His outside zone with heavy bootleg playaction scheme was great to attack the single high safety defensive schemes that had spread throughout the league - the "Seattle Cover3". Defenses then began to adjust to Kyle's scheme - 1.5 gap, Quarters concepts - both of which have light 7 in the box alignment. Some will say Quarters is actually 9 in the box, but the two safeties are still outside the box, it's just that they both have a run fit now.

One way to attack that (1.5 gap, Quarters) is to run between the tackles, and/or more gap blocking concepts. Basically, more straight ahead running where the offense outnumbers the defense at the point of attack to take advantage of the lighter box, as opposed to outside zone where they horizontally stretch the front 7 (front 8). Inside zone runs address this and it is evident that is where Kyle is taking his run game (drafting bigger RBs, spending a day 2 pick on a big guard, a QB that can execute zone read). Couple that with a QB that has a big arm and I agree with you that, in the passing game, Kyle is now going to put more emphasis on vertically stretching the defense as opposed to horizontally stretching them.

In a basic scenario, if the defense is in Quarters (both safeties around 8-12 yards behind LoS which is rather shallow), both safeties have run fits and must honor playaction. So once the inside zone/zone read plays are established, it's time to playaction off of that. Playaction, safeties bite, attack vertically behind them.

Good stuff right here

I recall when everyone was up in arms over the Serman and Banks picks, TH was a great voice of reason about how their style meshed well with how Lance is used and it would probably be a year to see them contribute. Hope they, especially Banks, are up to the task .

In my defense, I'm not saying Lance/Banks/Sermon/Price will be awesome, just that the skillset that they bring to the table as prospects pointed to a shift in philosophy with the run game.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Good thoughts. I think Kyle saw his scheme spread around the league (LAR, MIN, GB, CLE, NYJ, etc.) and knew it was time to adjust. His outside zone with heavy bootleg playaction scheme was great to attack the single high safety defensive schemes that had spread throughout the league - the "Seattle Cover3". Defenses then began to adjust to Kyle's scheme - 1.5 gap, Quarters concepts - both of which have light 7 in the box alignment. Some will say Quarters is actually 9 in the box, but the two safeties are still outside the box, it's just that they both have a run fit now.

One way to attack that (1.5 gap, Quarters) is to run between the tackles, and/or more gap blocking concepts. Basically, more straight ahead running where the offense outnumbers the defense at the point of attack to take advantage of the lighter box, as opposed to outside zone where they horizontally stretch the front 7 (front 8). Inside zone runs address this and it is evident that is where Kyle is taking his run game (drafting bigger RBs, spending a day 2 pick on a big guard, a QB that can execute zone read). Couple that with a QB that has a big arm and I agree with you that, in the passing game, Kyle is now going to put more emphasis on vertically stretching the defense as opposed to horizontally stretching them.

In a basic scenario, if the defense is in Quarters (both safeties around 8-12 yards behind LoS which is rather shallow), both safeties have run fits and must honor playaction. So once the inside zone/zone read plays are established, it's time to playaction off of that. Playaction, safeties bite, attack vertically behind them.

Good stuff right here

I recall when everyone was up in arms over the Serman and Banks picks, TH was a great voice of reason about how their style meshed well with how Lance is used and it would probably be a year to see them contribute. Hope they, especially Banks, are up to the task .

True true. That was my first insight into the running game changes too and then you watched Trey's tape and how they used him to run inside and then his first start also backed that up. It makes sense...he's 230 pounds and not a quick-twitch latetal waterbug who's going to outrun defenders to the edge at will like Kyler Murray. He's going to be far more effective inside. Same goes for Sermon and TDP.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2022 at 11:29 AM ]
In my defense, I'm not saying Lance/Banks/Sermon/Price will be awesome, just that the skillset that they bring to the table as prospects pointed to a shift in philosophy with the run game.

And that so far, seems validated. It should be even more going forward.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Created a thread for this so that the Danny Gray thread doesn't continue this conversation.

Someone said that there has been ZERO indication of our offense changing because Shanny built this team exactly how he wants it and I guess the presumption is we will see more of the same with Lance under center vice Jimmy. I disagree. I think the biggest trade in franchise history for Lance himself IS indication that not only does Shanny want a change but will in fact field a different offense then we've seen since his tenure. I think it will and always will be run first/dominant but with the added element of Trey for 11 on 11 football, Jimmy can't and hasn't done that. I think we will see more of the field used, in particular more deep shots and passes outside the numbers. I won't predict pass attempts as was asked in the other thread because IMO that is decided game to game and the scoreboard/defense plays a part in that; but gun to my head I actually think we won't have to pass as much (attempts) due to our run game being better and the deep shots hit or even missed to keep defenses honest. Jimmy hardly even did that. I do expect more pass interference calls then we ever had with Jimmy to go up for that alone. I don't expect all this in essentially Treys rookie season or first as a starter, but I know how it is here and Treys first year will be compared to Jimmy's entire time. Whatever; end of day I think we will see a different offense and we will see that this year granted Trey is the starter

I think eventually it will be more pass-centric offense, again depends on Trey's development. Until then - it will resemble a Bo Shembechkler offense for the most part.

Even if not "pass centric," to 808's reference of ATL, you can still be explosive within limited passing attempts. That offense only passed about 30-40 more times than we normally do but put up nearly 5K of offense and had an excellent running game too. I doubt we get to that level because I think that kind of explosive offense could wear out it's own defense over 17 games so I'd still anticipate more controlled passing and clock management for a better team balance. But yeah, if he can win primarily being run centric, why not!?! It keeps the other top QB's on the bench and our defense fresh and the big boys and Arby's happy imposing their will.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2022 at 11:41 AM ]
Kyle's offense does not resemble Bo Schembechler at all. We had the guy running that offense.
Kyle knows what works for him and probably won't change drastically. However, it makes no sense to use 3 #1 picks on a QB like Trey if you don't intend on using his skillset. Otherwise they could have stayed where they were and drafted Mac Jones. How much and how fast the offense changes will depend on how quickly Trey develops.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Seeing a trend among those that agree with me; waiting for response from those that won't agree cause I think I know who it will be

You were originally trying to prop up the historic ATL offense under Kyle's YOLO OC role and imply that that's what he wants as a HC here, ignoring 6 years of off season team building to the contrary to that where the running game and defense has been front and center. That year, a classic pocket passer, had 536 passing attempts for nearly 5K yards. Nuts. Would that be fun? Hell yeah. But is that how Kyle's built this team thus far? Not so much.

But let's see if it starts to evolve next off season.

I wasn't ignoring anything; you jumped in on my post with Memphis. Prop up? I simply said that I believe the offense he ran/had there was more a reflection of what he wants then the limited one we've had here. Seems like a no s**t sherlock too me; as you said a historic offense with a QB playing at an MVP level and humming run game. The running game was still top notch at that time and the defense was rightfully so on Dan Quinn. You keep throwing out that team building thing; was Trey Lance not a part of it? Oh wait, you answered my question regarding that with a good ol THIS OFF-SEASON

You all over the place man. In Danny Gray thread you saying essentially the offense "6 years team building" is exactly what Kyle wants and it will all be the same and then contradict yourself in this thread

You make zero sense here.

First you tried to imply we'd be a pass centric offense and quickly referenced the ATL as your gold standard. Then you try to pivot to Danny Gray as proof we're moving towards that, once again ignoring that the Aldrick Robinson role is still just a 200-300 yard receiver who helps others too with his speed on ghost routes. That's an important role but not one that signifies Kyle is going OC pass-centric YOLO again. He's got a full team to run here and literally every moves he's made, including this off season where Trey is the clear starting QB, has screamed, "We're a running team ~ John Lynch." 6 years Kyle has had to build his team exactly how he wants.

I simply asked you what evidence do you see that signifies we're moving towards a pass centric offense now that the Garoppolo era is over?

So which is it? Is the entire philosophy changing to a more pass centric offense like in ATL (your reference) and like his predecessors in McVay and LaFleur or is he going to continue with his run-centric offense with a featured FB even with 3 first round picks used on a QB with more mobility?

I'm all ears.

Also, I've stated my projections. Let's see yours. It's all for fun. It's not like we all don't want to see a more explosive and entertaining offense even within a low volume of passing like we've done to date. Also, would love to hear your thoughts on HOW the offense will change with Trey...because it certainly will.

Wow NC, seriously? I make zero sense? You have now gone off the rails with this post man.

1. Show me a single post where I implied that we would move towards a pass centric offense. I've stated the exact opposite both in this thread and the Danny Gray thread. I referenced the ATL offense AS A WHOLE, both pass and run game as the offense that I believe Shanahan wants, one without limitations. An offense in which his QB uses the entire field and is playing at an MVP level while his run game is humming. The Danny Gray thread is where this conversation began and reason I created this thread; YOU are literally the reason I made this thread to begin with. Danny Gray was "pivoted" too because YOU said there was ZERO indication of him changing anything and that I couldn't use the ATL offense as an example because he was a YOLO OC only looking for a HC job. That I couldn't use Lance as indication of wanting change and you meant THIS off-season. So with those stipulations that YOU desired, I used Danny Gray as an indication for THIS off-season as him wanting the deep threat and actually with a QB that will target that deep threat.

2. You asked what? Re-read where it all began and you jumped in my post with Memphis in the Danny Gray thread.

3. You did state your projections; asked for mine; I gave you mine and you literally commented on it in this freaking thread. Seriously brah? My thoughts on how this offense will change is literally how I began this freaking thread. If you'd love to hear it again, rewind to yesterday, start from square one where you put yourself into a conversation with me in Grays thread; take a look at the post where I told you that I'd make a thread for this and you thanked me for it; take it all in; then open this thread again and come at me with something that hasn't already been answered and please reference where I implied we would be a pass centric offense.

Referencing a historic 5K offense is your pass centric offense. When I asked what made you think we were moving in that direction you referenced Trey and Gray.

So again, which way are you leaning now? Based on your one projection of run-pass ratio, you actually think we'll pass LESS than my projection.

So that's why I'm confused with your take. Mine has been very consistent. Run-pass ratio will be roughly the same as in our successful years but there will be many differences within those very low number of passing attempts.

It SOUNDS like you'd wish it would become more pass centric but there doesn't seem to be any real evidence to support that so you guesstimated even less passing attempts than I did. LOL

I like this topic you started and would still like you to expand upon what your expectations will be and what those differences might end up being (I stated mine already in scheme and individual player stats).

Bro I can't today NC! Let's just chalk this one up to a lack of post fitness on both of us
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Kyle knows what works for him and probably won't change drastically. However, it makes no sense to use 3 #1 picks on a QB like Trey if you don't intend on using his skillset. Otherwise they could have stayed where they were and drafted Mac Jones. How much and how fast the offense changes will depend on how quickly Trey develops.

I don't agree with this. It is every playcaller's dream to have a dynamic passing game with a dominant running game as well. It leaves a defense in a pick your poison situation. Nothing I have heard or seen from Kyle tells me that he is going to drastically change his philosophy and that is to run the ball, eat the clock and keep the opponents offense on the bench.

Trey brings two major attributes to Shanahan's offense. Trey forces defenses to play 11 on 11 in the run game. Trey also keeps defenses honest with his ability to throw deep and to the outside.
Bro I can't today NC! Let's just chalk this one up to a lack of post fitness on both of us

Haha. Post fitness. Instant classic. No worries.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I don't agree with this. It is every playcaller's dream to have a dynamic passing game with a dominant running game as well. It leaves a defense in a pick your poison situation. Nothing I have heard or seen from Kyle tells me that he is going to drastically change his philosophy and that is to run the ball, eat the clock and keep the opponents offense on the bench.

Trey brings two major attributes to Shanahan's offense. Trey forces defenses to play 11 on 11 in the run game. Trey also keeps defenses honest with his ability to throw deep and to the outside.

Bingo!

I want to know if our offense will be different with TDP
dont think the offense will be any different, we will still have 11 players out there sporting red and gold.
That Trent Williams pancake in the endzone vs GB gets me all excited.

[ Edited by YACBros85 on May 24, 2022 at 4:43 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Created a thread for this so that the Danny Gray thread doesn't continue this conversation.

Someone said that there has been ZERO indication of our offense changing because Shanny built this team exactly how he wants it and I guess the presumption is we will see more of the same with Lance under center vice Jimmy. I disagree. I think the biggest trade in franchise history for Lance himself IS indication that not only does Shanny want a change but will in fact field a different offense then we've seen since his tenure. I think it will and always will be run first/dominant but with the added element of Trey for 11 on 11 football, Jimmy can't and hasn't done that. I think we will see more of the field used, in particular more deep shots and passes outside the numbers. I won't predict pass attempts as was asked in the other thread because IMO that is decided game to game and the scoreboard/defense plays a part in that; but gun to my head I actually think we won't have to pass as much (attempts) due to our run game being better and the deep shots hit or even missed to keep defenses honest. Jimmy hardly even did that. I do expect more pass interference calls then we ever had with Jimmy to go up for that alone. I don't expect all this in essentially Treys rookie season or first as a starter, but I know how it is here and Treys first year will be compared to Jimmy's entire time. Whatever; end of day I think we will see a different offense and we will see that this year granted Trey is the starter

I think eventually it will be more pass-centric offense, again depends on Trey's development. Until then - it will resemble a Bo Shembechkler offense for the most part.

Even if not "pass centric," to 808's reference of ATL, you can still be explosive within limited passing attempts. That offense only passed about 30-40 more times than we normally do but put up nearly 5K of offense and had an excellent running game too. I doubt we get to that level because I think that kind of explosive offense could wear out it's own defense over 17 games so I'd still anticipate more controlled passing and clock management for a better team balance. But yeah, if he can win primarily being run centric, why not!?! It keeps the other top QB's on the bench and our defense fresh and the big boys and Arby's happy imposing their will.

Well, I think, overall - as you said in the other thread - Kyle wants a balanced offense. A good run game helps a good passing game. So, Kyle's style of play will match the opponent and change on a weekly basis based on the kind of defenses Kyle is facing. Big difference between Jimmy and Trey is the arm and the mobility. So to the arm - I can see the offense being more vertical and more outside the hash marks. That's, I think, a no brainer. As for the mobility, that was essential in Walsh's pass first offense. He did bring in Steve Young who was much more mobile vs Joe, for example. A pass catching running back is essential in a pass first offense - it really helps that third down and short conversion. (pass to the RB vs handing it off to the RB). So Sermon's and TDP's development as receivers will be key here too. I think Sermon is already a wonderful pass catching back. He just needs to stop dancing around the hole. Now Gray's speed speaks more to a vertical offense - air Coryell for example. Keep in mind Air Coryell has a strong run component also (example: Chuck Muncie) One evolution past Air Coryell was the one back formation (us ancient fossils should remember the Hogs and John Riggens). Walsh designed the short passing offense around Virgil Carter who has a very weak arm compared to Trey, but it was highly accurate. Trey's arm is much more powerful than Virgil's, and if Trey can develop the short passing accuracy that Virgil and Joe had -- the short passing game is there for the taking.

Position-less offense. If you look at Deebo and how important he plays a role in Kyles offense currently. Imagine what he can do with a QB like Trey. He's a Wide-Back, and he can do it all. Move Deebo around, and with all the other receivers and running backs that can also catch passes, and he'll be tough to stop.

The OLine: if you look at the guards Jaylon, Banks, and Zakelj - they are big power type blockers, whereas you see the OT's and Centers being very athletic and agile and hovering around 300 Lbs, (Trent Williams is unique though) give or take a couple of pounds. You can see Kyle mixing in more inside runs versus the outside runs than before. Those runs, specifically to the left side behind Trent Williams, will help Trey's boot actions and RPOs to the right - where Trey's mobility will be dangerous. So the vertical play pass and the misdirection boot action plays just got more explosive with those potential new guards.

The WRs: you have Deebo, and Aiyuk, but the big development is Jauan. I think you need a minimum of three good receivers to be a pass first offense. The reason is now you can utilize triangle concepts in either the horizontal or vertical passing offense. Add in a (hopefully) another good receiver in Danny Gray to make those triangle concepts stretch the defenses more and open bigger passing holes for Trey to take advantage of.

The TE: Kittle. Nuff said. He's a super star and paid like it. Every successful passing attack - whatever the variation - needs a very good pass catching TE. A passing offense can take better advantage of Kittle's explosiveness and YAC versus a run dominant offense. A run first offense is just wasting Kittle's talents.

Generally, I agree with you. But I don't think KS can/would open everything up in a season. This offense takes time to grow into. Having said that, there is a reason why this offense takes time to grow into--it evolves. I'm willing to bet that KS's O has morphed at every one of his previous stops. We may not see the full tilt of this for another couple of years.

To your point, not having the ability to take deep shots and throw outside the number is an obvious problem for us that defenses can and did key on. The best we could do about this is Jimmy's quick release and KS scheming. I think you are speaking to "constraint theory" in that the defense cannot cover everyone all the time, and deal with the run game AND deal with Lance. With Jimmy, there is less pressure on a D. With Lance, the opportunity is there (and hopefully the development and health) to challenge the defense. I think this idea is built into some of Kyle's go-to plays, like the dagger concept. If the safety knows that the deeper route is a decoy, its easy to sit on shallow routes. Just a couple of Lance's throws last year proves he can push the ball down the field and force coverages to be honest, on top of some ability to extend plays.

I don't think it is a matter of if the offense will be different or not, it is just a matter of degree. Lance's development will likely determine that, right? He still has to prove he can hit the easy stuff reliably.
Share 49ersWebzone