49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 665 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Brock Purdy Thread

They do the MVP talk every year early like this, Kurt was saying, I think the same about Brock last year? Week 3? He's been a supporter of his since the beginning like most qbs have. Qbs that are any good anyway. I think BP can handle the MVP chatter and I don't think he pays attn to too much chatter anyway. MVP talk this early is to get fans pumped up for the season, maybe buy some merch, tickets, tune in more. It's fun to talk about. I don't see anything wrong with it, a little early but fun.
I think Brock has been better than advertised. I love brock and couldn't be happier with him. I dont take the MVP talk serious until week 14 or so. If he has a bad game against the Broncos, the media is going to destroy him. so I dont care.

"when someones being nice to you, kick them in the shines" - Harbaugh.

In other words, dont let their words convince you that you are who you think you are, keep working.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,941
MVP talk this early is irrelevant. Especially when it comes to Brock. One bad game and he's back to being the 15th best QB.

He needs to be MVP in February.
Originally posted by Montana:
They do the MVP talk every year early like this, Kurt was saying, I think the same about Brock last year? Week 3? He's been a supporter of his since the beginning like most qbs have. Qbs that are any good anyway. I think BP can handle the MVP chatter and I don't think he pays attn to too much chatter anyway. MVP talk this early is to get fans pumped up for the season, maybe buy some merch, tickets, tune in more. It's fun to talk about. I don't see anything wrong with it, a little early but fun.

yeah, I dont think Brock cares much about that talk. has nothing to do with winning games, getting better, or the team. I'd be shocked if it got to his head.

IF it was, that would of been in 2023 when he had that horrible Christmas game. He's matured since then. I do think he felt the need to impress and over compensate back then.
I'd like Purdy to play at this level throughout the season even when we face stiffer competition. The way that he was in training camp plus how he's started the season I believe he can do it and can take the next step.
Originally posted by Antix:
MVP talk this early is irrelevant. Especially when it comes to Brock. One bad game and he's back to being the 15th best QB.

He needs to be MVP in February.

As far as NFL MVP is concerned, the voting is done before the end of the regular season. Post season doesn't factor into the vote.

But yeah i'd rather him win Super Bowl MVP then the NFL MVP.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Antix:
MVP talk this early is irrelevant. Especially when it comes to Brock. One bad game and he's back to being the 15th best QB.

He needs to be MVP in February.

As far as NFL MVP is concerned, the voting is done before the end of the regular season. Post season doesn't factor into the vote.

But yeah i'd rather him win Super Bowl MVP then the NFL MVP.

The Niners have at least 7 tough games against good defenses left on their schedule. The Denver game will be the first real test for the O line and Purdy. I don't count the game against the Rams in Australia because they didn't have Donald and Garrett was injured. The next time they face the Rams their D might be much better. Of course we have 2 against the Seahawks plus the Eagles and Vikings. All those teams can put up a strong defense in any given game.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Sep 29, 2026 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The Niners have at least 7 tough games against good defenses left on their schedule. The Denver game will be the first real test for the O line and Purdy. I don't count the game against the Rams in Australia because they didn't have Donald and Garrett was injured. The next time they face the Rams their D might be much better. Of course we have 2 against the Seahawks plus the Eagles and Vikings. All those teams can put up a strong defense in any given game.

Brock will get sacked eventually, most likely against the Broncos. If they play at their current level though - advantage is us. just depends on who our skill players out there are. Brock will have to get rid of the ball faster against the Broncos, IMO.

Seattle will be tough. Their D line is really good. Vikings have a blitz happy defense that Brock has seemed to struggle with in the past. I'm not worried about the Eagles. The rest are valid though. All tough competition and we will need Bosa & Mykel back to really put our best foot forward.
Originally posted by tankle104:

exactly, and more accurate bc we all know Caleb isn't accurate (among the worst in the league) and has a problem seeing the field and holding the ball too long. So glad teams like the Bears, GB, Pats, Den, Jax and so on think their qb is good.....makes it that much easier to win a SB for us without the whole team being injured.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by tankle104:

exactly, and more accurate bc we all know Caleb isn't accurate (among the worst in the league) and has a problem seeing the field and holding the ball too long. So glad teams like the Bears, GB, Pats, Den, Jax and so on think their qb is good.....makes it that much easier to win a SB for us without the whole team being injured.

Watching that game last night is a reminder how cerebral QB play with great playcalling is still a great result.

It's also a reminder why Caleb Williams isn't a top 10 QB YET. If he can keep get to a level where he operates Ben's offense on time, with accuracy and as designed only leaving his special tools for the rare bad calls then he'll be special.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The Niners have at least 7 tough games against good defenses left on their schedule. The Denver game will be the first real test for the O line and Purdy. I don't count the game against the Rams in Australia because they didn't have Donald and Garrett was injured. The next time they face the Rams their D might be much better. Of course we have 2 against the Seahawks plus the Eagles and Vikings. All those teams can put up a strong defense in any given game.

Brock will get sacked eventually, most likely against the Broncos. If they play at their current level though - advantage is us. just depends on who our skill players out there are. Brock will have to get rid of the ball faster against the Broncos, IMO.

Seattle will be tough. Their D line is really good. Vikings have a blitz happy defense that Brock has seemed to struggle with in the past. I'm not worried about the Eagles. The rest are valid though. All tough competition and we will need Bosa & Mykel back to really put our best foot forward.

Don't disregard the Eagles defense. If I've learned anything in my 70 years of watching football it's not to judge a team off of last weeks or recent performances. The Eagles still have a good D line and they could make life miserable for the Niners and Purdy if they play up to their capability. The Niner O line ha slooked good so far but to be fair they haven't faced good defenses yet. The Rams as I pointed out were missing their 2 best D linemen and the Cards and Dolphins are terrible.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by tankle104:

exactly, and more accurate bc we all know Caleb isn't accurate (among the worst in the league) and has a problem seeing the field and holding the ball too long. So glad teams like the Bears, GB, Pats, Den, Jax and so on think their qb is good.....makes it that much easier to win a SB for us without the whole team being injured.

Watching that game last night is a reminder how cerebral QB play with great playcalling is still a great result.

It's also a reminder why Caleb Williams isn't a top 10 QB YET. If he can keep get to a level where he operates Ben's offense on time, with accuracy and as designed only leaving his special tools for the rare bad calls then he'll be special.
I agree
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Don't disregard the Eagles defense. If I've learned anything in my 70 years of watching football it's not to judge a team off of last weeks or recent performances. The Eagles still have a good D line and they could make life miserable for the Niners and Purdy if they play up to their capability. The Niner O line ha slooked good so far but to be fair they haven't faced good defenses yet. The Rams as I pointed out were missing their 2 best D linemen and the Cards and Dolphins are terrible.

Yeah, the Eagles DL is still really good, they have a great LB and 3 very good cbs
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Kurt Warner on MNF stated that if the decision was made today, BP would be the league MVP.

Need to see what he does against Denver and Seattle. Those will be the big tests to see if he is truly destined for the MVP. Can't have another Ravens game that derailed his MVP title run.

I really wish this MVP narrative would simmer down.

it is unnecessary weight that he doesn't need to carry right now.

The goal is a SB.

Some game plans may require running and short passing not hero ball. No need to chase an award.

You think he pays any attention to that kind of stuff? I seriously doubt it, Brock is all about the business of playing quarterback. I seriously doubt if outside noise gets much of his attention .
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I'd like Purdy to play at this level throughout the season even when we face stiffer competition. The way that he was in training camp plus how he's started the season I believe he can do it and can take the next step.

The Rams have one of the best defenses in the league, as well as he's seeing the field right now, Purdy is going to be a problem for every defense, especially if he keeps being smart about when to take off and run.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone