LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Shop Find 49ers gear online

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
And if we do win because of Jimmy, will you livestream eating a full crow?

I'll be the happiest 49er fan in the state of NY....what would people be eating crow about? Pointing out that no QB eating up that much of a teams salary cap has ever won the SB? I mean there's nothing objective about that, it's the truth.
Everyone is missing the point, IF we win it BECAUSE of Jimmy, we have to keep him, it's that simple. I'd be shocked if it does happen as that's not who he's shown us to be, but 3 straight great road games and a Superbowl completely equals a hold.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Everyone is missing the point, IF we win it BECAUSE of Jimmy, we have to keep him, it's that simple. I'd be shocked if it does happen as that's not who he's shown us to be, but 3 straight great road games and a Superbowl completely equals a hold.

No it's not that simple actually.

All it does is increase what you can get for him in a trade...he's not getting an extension regardless of anything, so having him eat up a bunch of cap space for one year of play and watching him leave as a FA and getting next to nothing is not how this FO planned it out...Lance is the starter next yr. His rookie contract is stupid important. Getting picks and cap relief is very important. Lance actually playing is very important.

This is about the overall long-term of the franchise, not just 2023.

I agree that it's not likely that this team wins the SB. They have a long path to get there with all games on the road. It's even less likely that they win BECAUSE of Jimmy. That has rarely happened in his time in SF. If they win it will be because of the defensive line play and guys like Deebo, Mitchell and Kittle. Just like last Sunday.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

No it's not that simple actually.

All it does is increase what you can get for him in a trade...he's not getting an extension regardless of anything, so having him eat up a bunch of cap space for one year of play and watching him leave as a FA and getting next to nothing is not how this FO planned it out...Lance is the starter next yr. His rookie contract is stupid important. Getting picks and cap relief is very important. Lance actually playing is very important.

This is about the overall long-term of the franchise, not just 2023.

His money next year is accounted for, it just delays signing Deebo and Bosa, then the hope would be he becomes Tom Brady and you trade Trey, and the increase in salary cap covers our signings.

Like I said it's unlikely, and you know I love Trey, but like I've said before the goal is to find QB's who you win because of.

Neither of our QB's have yet shown they are that, I've got a lot more faith that it'll be Trey, but if it is Jimmy then you stick with him.
He will have earned his contract and I would let him run it back. Rodgers turned out fine sitting a couple years behind Favre. Play it back again like this year. Let Lance develop, and be insurance.
This thread title is making me angry
Even year season ahead... he gets hurt on the even years. Must trade.
Regardless of what happens this season, Jimmy Garoppolo is most likely gone. So, enjoy him while he's still around. I don't think plans change with a solid playoff effort, but I do agree that a Super Bowl win would complicate matters a bit. However, we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

I just don't think Jimmy stays. BUT, with every clutch playoff win, provided we get those wins, the asking price for Jimmy Garoppolo just gets higher, higher and higher.

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch were widely criticized by trading away a boatload of future draft capital for the rights to draft Trey Lance. However, this could turn out to be a master stroke of a deal for the 49ers team. Successful quarterbacks like Jimmy Garoppolo simply do not grow on trees. If one suddenly becomes available via trade, and there's a team like the Colts, Giants, Washington Football team, Lions or any other franchise that needs a key piece for the offense, the sky is the limit.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree that it's not likely that this team wins the SB. They have a long path to get there with all games on the road. It's even less likely that they win BECAUSE of Jimmy. That has rarely happened in his time in SF. If they win it will be because of the defensive line play and guys like Deebo, Mitchell and Kittle. Just like last Sunday.

I have a great deal of respect for you. At the same time, I do disagree with this statement. I have watched the Rams-49ers replay game all week long. Yes, you can point to key contributions from every player and segment of the team you mentioned. BUT, the 49ers do not win that game without some clutch passes from Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers do not win that game without some clutch receptions from Brandon Aiyuk, who snagged not one but three passes that were thrown behind him. All of those passes were big plays for big yardage. I know the focus has been on Deebo and Jennings because they scored the winning touchdowns. But they don't get into that position without Jimmy Garoppolo and Brandon Aiyuk.

The Garoppolo Drive to tie the game with seconds left on the clock in the 4th quarter will go down in history as one of the greatest clutch drives in all of 49er history. That was all Jimmy. Jimmy at his best.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Regardless of what happens this season, Jimmy Garoppolo is most likely gone. So, enjoy him while he's still around. I don't think plans change with a solid playoff effort, but I do agree that a Super Bowl win would complicate matters a bit. However, we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

I just don't think Jimmy stays. BUT, with every clutch playoff win, provided we get those wins, the asking price for Jimmy Garoppolo just gets higher, higher and higher.

Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch were widely criticized by trading away a boatload of future draft capital for the rights to draft Trey Lance. However, this could turn out to be a master stroke of a deal for the 49ers team. Successful quarterbacks like Jimmy Garoppolo simply do not grow on trees. If one suddenly becomes available via trade, and there's a team like the Colts, Giants, Washington Football team, Lions or any other franchise that needs a key piece for the offense, the sky is the limit.

I agree that no matter what happens in the playoffs, Jimmy is probably gone. They can't waste all those draft picks on the bench. Besides that, a couple of games doesn't change what we've seen since 2017. At this stage of his career, Jimmy isn't going to become a different QB. That said, I hope he does well and the team gets to the SB but it's a hard road.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 14, 2022 at 9:21 AM ]
Lol didn't even win the first playoff game yet and we have a thread about a SB win because of him
DO IT JIMMY W!!!!
Who says it won't happen ⁉️⁉️⁉️ Look, in this year's playoffs, there is no lockdown favorite. A tipped pass, broken play or busted coverage can determine a lot of these matchups. A clean game can do the same. I believe the reason the games are played is to see what happens. Now if you have an inside tip, let us Zoners in‼️‼️‼️
[ Edited by NinerTy on Jan 14, 2022 at 10:22 AM ]
Trade regardless. We know he's mediocre. Move on
Share 49ersWebzone