LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Shop Find 49ers gear online

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

That's a tough one. Having a QB take us to two Super Bowls and win one. The fear of the unknown kicks in. We're hoping Trey can be a great QB who takes us to multiple Super Bowls. Unfortunately if he doesn't pan out, we got rid of our QB who won us a super bowl.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
That's a tough one. Having a QB take us to two Super Bowls and win one. The fear of the unknown kicks in. We're hoping Trey can be a great QB who takes us to multiple Super Bowls. Unfortunately if he doesn't pan out, we got rid of our QB who won us a super bowl.

It's a big gamble for Kyle if that happens and then he trades Jimmy. But that's what he signed up for when he used 3 first round picks to draft his replacement. There's no turning back now.

And after seeing him play the Texans, I'm not worried about Trey not being good. It won't be Love situation at all.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
His money next year is accounted for, it just delays signing Deebo and Bosa, then the hope would be he becomes Tom Brady and you trade Trey, and the increase in salary cap covers our signings.

Like I said it's unlikely, and you know I love Trey, but like I've said before the goal is to find QB's who you win because of.

Neither of our QB's have yet shown they are that, I've got a lot more faith that it'll be Trey, but if it is Jimmy then you stick with him.

Ford's money is accounted for...what's your point? Football is a business and bad money is bad money.

You can't delay Deebo/Bosa...they have no reason to step foot on the field next yr without a big fat payday. It's not just them it's others as well. It's actually being able to improve the roster overall.

LOL you think he becomes Tom Brady....Jesus dude. NE did NOT give up 3 1sts and a 3rd for Jimmy. Jimmy didn't win 5 SBs. Once that trade was made the future was set. period.

Yeah it's unlikely...like almost zero. I expect SF to keep winning with Lance because of the roster that's built around him and will continue to be built, with those extra picks and cash. I also expect to win because we have a damn good HC. NOT just because we have an okay starting QB, which end of the day is what Jimmy is. The decision was already made back in March.
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
He will have earned his contract and I would let him run it back. Rodgers turned out fine sitting a couple years behind Favre. Play it back again like this year. Let Lance develop, and be insurance.

How's Jordan Love doing sitting for multiple years? Dude looked lost out there this yr. ONE example of someone sitting for years doesn't make it the case or every player. Jimmy is not Favre. GB did NOT give up 3 1sts and a 3rd for Rogers, he fell into their laps.... Rookie QB contracts are gold and you're letting it rot on the sidelines.
it will go down as one of the most controversial trades of all time.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 4ML:
If we win SuperBowl - that too bc Jimmy played at an elite level - we can probably get 2 1st round picks for him. If you get anything close to that value - you absolutely trade him.

Winning SuperBowl will also mean very costly contract extensions for some of our players. Therefore, trading Jimmy and cutting Dee Ford is gonna be moves we have to make to keep the team together and keep contending over the next 4-5 years.

Deebo, Tomlinson, Arden Key, Al-Shaair, Tartt in 2022
Bosa, Aiyuk, Greenlaw 2023

That's a lot of must keep players...and it will be huge if we are paying our QBs 10-12M a year instead of 35M a year.

Good list. Cut it in half. There's no way we sign all those guys to long-term deals. Not in today's NFL. Not with the salary cap.

Arden Key loves it here. He also wants to maximize his value while he can and I don't blame the man. I doubt the 49ers keep him, unless it is another 1-2 year deal.

The 49ers have been hitting again and again with players in the late rounds of the NFL draft. I hope the trend continues.

We possibly can if we are spending less than 15M a year on our QBs. We def can't if we are spending 35M a year on our QBs.

Trading Jimmy and cutting Dee Ford (post june 1 cut) will save us $30M in cap space. Ebukam will also save another 6M. We can probably extend McGlinchy and save some cap room there as well.

As unpredictable as it is - hitting on late draft pick or two every year is obviously the best way to be able to keep your best players on the roster for a long time. That way you are not overpaying your average to above average players and can let them walk.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He will have earned his contract and I would let him run it back. Rodgers turned out fine sitting a couple years behind Favre. Play it back again like this year. Let Lance develop, and be insurance.

How's Jordan Love doing sitting for multiple years? Dude looked lost out there this yr. ONE example of someone sitting for years doesn't make it the case or every player. Jimmy is not Favre. GB did NOT give up 3 1sts and a 3rd for Rogers, he fell into their laps.... Rookie QB contracts are gold and you're letting it rot on the sidelines.

I can't wait for when we have a damn good QB making 10M a year - and this FO has all the money in the World to continue to add to this roster. That's a cheat code in the NFL.
Originally posted by 4ML:
We possibly can if we are spending less than 15M a year on our QBs. We def can't if we are spending 35M a year on our QBs.

Trading Jimmy and cutting Dee Ford (post june 1 cut) will save us $30M in cap space. Ebukam will also save another 6M. We can probably extend McGlinchy and save some cap room there as well.

As unpredictable as it is - hitting on late draft pick or two every year is obviously the best way to be able to keep your best players on the roster for a long time. That way you are not overpaying your average to above average players and can let them walk.

Should be trading McGlinchey not extending him.
It's obviously to stay the course and play Lance.

Ultimately, what have the Ravens gained by giving Flacco an "elite" extension ? Nothing, and I bet if they had a choice again, they wouldn't have done it. What have any teams gained by signing Nick Foles ? Nothing.

Average players can go on good runs, especially aided by good teams around them. Flacco had one of the all-time great runs in 2012 postseason but he still was an average player. Do you believe in retaining average players regardless of position if they were on the SB winning team roster and played well during the playoffs ? I don't.
Keep.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Should be trading McGlinchey not extending him.

If anything, Compton's play screams don't overpay McGlinchey.
It's a freaking travesty....we could have had Wirfs at RT...
Then we have a nice parade, us fans give Jimmy a proper thank you and send off, and he is traded for a boatload of picks.
Trade him to Jim Harbaugh and the Bears…fleece them for picks
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
His money next year is accounted for, it just delays signing Deebo and Bosa, then the hope would be he becomes Tom Brady and you trade Trey, and the increase in salary cap covers our signings.

Like I said it's unlikely, and you know I love Trey, but like I've said before the goal is to find QB's who you win because of.

Neither of our QB's have yet shown they are that, I've got a lot more faith that it'll be Trey, but if it is Jimmy then you stick with him.

Ford's money is accounted for...what's your point? Football is a business and bad money is bad money.

You can't delay Deebo/Bosa...they have no reason to step foot on the field next yr without a big fat payday. It's not just them it's others as well. It's actually being able to improve the roster overall.

LOL you think he becomes Tom Brady....Jesus dude. NE did NOT give up 3 1sts and a 3rd for Jimmy. Jimmy didn't win 5 SBs. Once that trade was made the future was set. period.

Yeah it's unlikely...like almost zero. I expect SF to keep winning with Lance because of the roster that's built around him and will continue to be built, with those extra picks and cash. I also expect to win because we have a damn good HC. NOT just because we have an okay starting QB, which end of the day is what Jimmy is. The decision was already made back in March.

Dude, come on, I'd have thought with all the things you get accused of you'd actually read my post.

This thread is based on a hypothetical, yet people, including you are too stuck in their previous opinions that they can't play it out.

I said the HOPE would be that he became Tom Brady, do I think it would happen, oh hell no.

Of course the business side of things exist, but you don't move on from great QB's who can win you Superbowls.

Jimmy is not there, and I don't believe he will be BUT 4 road games and a Superbowl of excellent QB play would force us to take a look to see whether or not he could become it.

Also Deebo and Bosa can be extended, play on their cap hit next year and just have their signing bonus count as extra against the cap.

Youre asking players like bosa warner deebo and kittle to waste their prime years so a rookie can develop. Shanahan did the right thing. For this year. Trey should play next year. Hopefully he's ready.
Share 49ersWebzone