LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Shop Find 49ers gear online

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Originally posted by Joecool:
We are all looking at it wrong and we have all pigeonholed ourselves into how to think about Lance. Think outside the box from conventional NFL mentality.

Think of Lance as an insurance policy or backup plan in case Jimmy doesn't play to certain expectations. If Jimmy balls out this year and wins it all, it doesn't mean he will ball out next year but it does mean we will be a winning team next year with Jimmy with an insurance that if something bad happens, Lance can take over.

It's an expensive insurance plan, but in the NFL, it is also hard to compete as a top 5 team year in and year out. So hard that teams spend tens of millions on s**tty coaches and s**tty QBs.

It's worth it. I'm sure we will figure out the salary cap some way.

Thats a really good point. I have been critical of Jimmy. I've also been critical of Lance, although admittedly I'm looking at Lance through a more forgiving lense.

I want to see Lance learn, progress, and grow too. Jimmy defintely gives our team the best chance to win rn. Its also anyone's guess to how well Lance could play next yr if given the chance. But its a valid point, if we got rid of Jimmy and Trey got hurt...man we'd be no better off than when we had Jimmy hurt and our backups were Mullens and CJ.

With Jimmy, I'll take the good with the bad. As long as he's in red and gold, i'll root for him.
[ Edited by Sinsation on Jan 14, 2022 at 7:21 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Which is why drafting such a raw player, with this roster, never made sense to me.

You're only remain "raw" if you continue to not play football...Lance looked better as he took more snaps and people can't deny that.

This roster is why the decision made sense...he doesn't have to be the main reason they win or lose. Same as Jimmy. He will depend on everyone else all the same and as he develops, will become the QB they spent all the picks on. There's a process and fans need to realize that.

I absolutely agree with him sitting this year. He was not ready to play, and the team likely wouldn't be in the playoffs had he started. I think he learned while observing, and I'm excited for next year. There is no way in hell he shouldn't he starting next year. If he's not, that's a big problem.
Originally posted by meickue:
I will be SHOCKED if they keep him...I would say there's a less then 5% chance of that happening.

Lance at this point in his development NEEDS to play football, period. Sitting on the bench and basically not playing football almost 3 years is not gonna make him better at football.

Nick Foles won Philly a SB and they chose not to trade him...they then watched him leave and got nothing of real value in return. SF needs picks and cap space. You sell him at the highest point possible and play the guy you invested everything into.

Wasting years of a valuable rookie QB's contract is stupid. Jimmy isn't Brett Favre, he's more Alex Smith.

So what's the point, Brett Farve only won one superbowl (great regular season quarterback with alot 15+ ints, but meh playoffs quarterback). Aaron sat 3 years. (He was considered raw prospect coming out of college too). He's doing ok for himself. Point is, we never will know if sitting for 2+ years is great or not.

My point is first Jimmy is NOT Brett Favre, so let's get that straight. He's probably the opposite of him (outside of INTs). Brett was also paid a bunch of money which limits what you can surround him with. Rogers has one one SB after sitting 3 years, so who cares there as well. He hasn't won s**t either since he ate up his teams cap space.

My second point, Rookie QB contracts are a big freaking deal, especially if you'd like to win a SB.

Brady was never paid as much as he should have been in NE, he took a team discount to get wins... I think the highest he's every taken up a salary cap and won a SB was last yr in Tampa (12.4%). Mahomes was on his rookie deal. Foles was paid nothing (wentz was still on his rookie deal). Wilson was on a rookie deal, Flacco on a rookie deal etc.

I think there's been one QB that has eating up over 13% of a teams cap and won it all...Steve Young and that was like the first yr of using a cap.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 14, 2022 at 7:31 AM ]
I absolutely agree with him sitting this year. He was not ready to play, and the team likely wouldn't be in the playoffs had he started. I think he learned while observing, and I'm excited for next year. There is no way in hell he shouldn't he starting next year. If he's not, that's a big problem.

Then Jimmy needs to be moved in the off season. They need picks to help Lance have more cheap talent around him, which will in turn help the team resign and upgrade with good vets.

Then Jimmy needs to be moved in the off season. They need picks to help Lance have more cheap talent around him, which will in turn help the team resign and upgrade with good vets.

Realistically I would put Jimmy staying at 0.5%

People are fooling themselves. Even if he's superbowl mvp.
I'm torn on this. On the one hand we can use all the draft capital we can get.

On the other hand we know all too well what it is like to have a weak QB room and having both Jimmy and Trey provides us a very strong QB room the likes of which we have not had in this millennium.

That said, if we don't get a 1st rounder I would not trade Jimmy under a scenario where he was responsible for the 49ers winning a Super Bowl.
If a guy wins you a Super Bowl you keep him.

That's all I'm saying let's all be realistic about this.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:

On the other hand we know all too well what it is like to have a weak QB room and having both Jimmy and Trey provides us a very strong QB room the likes of which we have not had in this millennium.

That said, if we don't get a 1st rounder I would not trade Jimmy under a scenario where he was responsible for the 49ers winning a Super Bowl.

Even if SF wins a SB, I find it highly doubtful anyone gives up a 2022 1st rd pick for him. If SF can get the same thing they got for Alex (2 2nds) I think you do that in a heartbeat... maybe a conditional pick in 2023 that could become a 1st based on playing time or something.

End of day the highest paid QB (taking up the most cap space on his team) to win a Super Bowl the past decade...was Tom Brady last yr who ate up 12.4% of his teams total cap space. This year Jimmy is taking up 13.5%, no QB has won a super bowl taking up that much cap space. Not saying it couldn't happen, there's a linage there though.

Next yr he's taking up 12.9% which would be the second highest ever to win a SB only behind Steve Young (13.1%) in 1994 which was the first yr they implemented the cap.

Either way, let's just beat Dallas and go from there lol.

Even if SF wins a SB, I find it highly doubtful anyone gives up a 2022 1st rd pick for him. If SF can get the same thing they got for Alex (2 2nds) I think you do that in a heartbeat... maybe a conditional pick in 2023 that could become a 1st based on playing time or something.

End of day the highest paid QB (taking up the most cap space on his team) to win a Super Bowl the past decade...was Tom Brady last yr who ate up 12.4% of his teams total cap space. This year Jimmy is taking up 13.5%, no QB has won a super bowl taking up that much cap space. Not saying it couldn't happen, there's a linage there though.

Next yr he's taking up 12.9% which would be the second highest ever to win a SB only behind Steve Young (13.1%) in 1994 which was the first yr they implemented the cap.

Fair enough. We do tend to get ahead of ourselves. Let's all just cross this bridge when we get there. Will be a nice problem to have if it comes down to it.

Might have something to do with Tom Brady constantly winning Super Bowls.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Might have something to do with Tom Brady constantly winning Super Bowls.

And him being cool with not being the leagues highest paid QB...he's no dummy and realizes you need a whole team to win a SB.

There's other QBs that have won and most have either been on rookie contracts or only taken up a certain % of the teams total cap, there's a correlation there for sure
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 14, 2022 at 8:14 AM ]

Fair enough. We do tend to get ahead of ourselves. Let's all just cross this bridge when we get there. Will be a nice problem to have if it comes down to it.

And if we do win because of Jimmy, will you livestream eating a full crow?

I think if we win the superbowl that increases by 100% and if he wins mvp in the process it increases 200%

So 1% chance he stays if we win the SB and 1.5% if he win SB mvp
Share 49ersWebzone