There are 271 users in the forums

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

Shop Find 49ers gear online

It's not going to happen, but what if the 49ers won the Super Bowl bc of Jimmy G'

I'm talking about if Jimmy G somehow has a legendary performance throughout the playoffs and leads us all the way to another championship. If he is a large reason why we win it all, do we then try to find a way to keep him?

Or even in this scenario, is the writing already on the wall? Because we must extend Deebo and Bosa.

I think we have no choice but to still trade him, even if he plays like Joe Montana. Although I don't know if there would be a way to work some magic within the salary cap.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Jan 14, 2022 at 5:33 AM ]
I'm ready to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do keep him. Lance is still very raw. I'd like for him to get the 1st team reps to kind of fast track that development, but i wouldn't be surprised if KS think he needs another year of "seasoning".

If Jimmy leads the team to a SB win, you don't just get rid of that. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to keep him and Deebo and Bosa. Its really going to be up to KS and whether he thinks Trey is far enough along. We've definitely seen some progress and improvement from Trey, but we don't really know all of the things KS wants his QBs to have down pat.
He's getting moved....you get the absolute most for him while you can. You work with his agent to find a place that fits Jimmy the best, along with an extension.
Quick somebody start a thread about treys trade value. That will go over well.

Originally posted by Sinsation:
I'm ready to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do keep him. Lance is still very raw. I'd like for him to get the 1st team reps to kind of fast track that development, but i wouldn't be surprised if KS think he needs another year of "seasoning".

If Jimmy leads the team to a SB win, you don't just get rid of that. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to keep him and Deebo and Bosa. Its really going to be up to KS and whether he thinks Trey is far enough along. We've definitely seen some progress and improvement from Trey, but we don't really know all of the things KS wants his QBs to have down pat.

I will be SHOCKED if they keep him...I would say there's a less then 5% chance of that happening.

Lance at this point in his development NEEDS to play football, period. Sitting on the bench and basically not playing football almost 3 years is not gonna make him better at football.

Nick Foles won Philly a SB and they chose not to trade him...they then watched him leave and got nothing of real value in return. SF needs picks and cap space. You sell him at the highest point possible and play the guy you invested everything into.

Wasting years of a valuable rookie QB's contract is stupid. Jimmy isn't Brett Favre, he's more Alex Smith.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,690
Oh another QB thread.
Please discuss the QB and not other posters.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Wasting years of a valuable rookie QB's contract is stupid. Jimmy isn't Brett Favre, he's more Alex Smith.

Which is why drafting such a raw player, with this roster, never made sense to me.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I will be SHOCKED if they keep him...I would say there's a less then 5% chance of that happening.

Lance at this point in his development NEEDS to play football, period. Sitting on the bench and basically not playing football almost 3 years is not gonna make him better at football.

Nick Foles won Philly a SB and they chose not to trade him...they then watched him leave and got nothing of real value in return. SF needs picks and cap space. You sell him at the highest point possible and play the guy you invested everything into.

Wasting years of a valuable rookie QB's contract is stupid. Jimmy isn't Brett Favre, he's more Alex Smith.

Good point in bringing up the Nick Foles situation
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Which is why drafting such a raw player, with this roster, never made sense to me.

Need a QB on rookie deal to re-sign all our playmakers, unless u want to be like the Seahawks now with a highly paid QB but unable to field a competitive team around Wilson
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I will be SHOCKED if they keep him...I would say there's a less then 5% chance of that happening.

Lance at this point in his development NEEDS to play football, period. Sitting on the bench and basically not playing football almost 3 years is not gonna make him better at football.

Nick Foles won Philly a SB and they chose not to trade him...they then watched him leave and got nothing of real value in return. SF needs picks and cap space. You sell him at the highest point possible and play the guy you invested everything into.

Wasting years of a valuable rookie QB's contract is stupid. Jimmy isn't Brett Favre, he's more Alex Smith.

So what's the point, Brett Farve only won one superbowl (great regular season quarterback with alot 15+ ints, but meh playoffs quarterback). Aaron sat 3 years. (He was considered raw prospect coming out of college too). He's doing ok for himself. Point is, we never will know if sitting for 2+ years is great or not.

Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Which is why drafting such a raw player, with this roster, never made sense to me.

Need a QB on rookie deal to re-sign all our playmakers, unless u want to be like the Seahawks now with a highly paid QB but unable to field a competitive team around Wilson

I totally get that, but with this roster, to tale advantage of the rookie deal you need to have someone who can play asap. Having someone develop during his rookie contract is counterintuitive.
We are all looking at it wrong and we have all pigeonholed ourselves into how to think about Lance. Think outside the box from conventional NFL mentality.

Think of Lance as an insurance policy or backup plan in case Jimmy doesn't play to certain expectations. If Jimmy balls out this year and wins it all, it doesn't mean he will ball out next year but it does mean we will be a winning team next year with Jimmy with an insurance that if something bad happens, Lance can take over.

It's an expensive insurance plan, but in the NFL, it is also hard to compete as a top 5 team year in and year out. So hard that teams spend tens of millions on s**tty coaches and s**tty QBs.

It's worth it. I'm sure we will figure out the salary cap some way.
That would be a great problem to have.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Which is why drafting such a raw player, with this roster, never made sense to me.

You're only remain "raw" if you continue to not play football...Lance looked better as he took more snaps and people can't deny that.

This roster is why the decision made sense...he doesn't have to be the main reason they win or lose. Same as Jimmy. He will depend on everyone else all the same and as he develops, will become the QB they spent all the picks on. There's a process and fans need to realize that.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
That would be a great problem to have.

A problem every NFL team wouldn't mind having. That's why you don't give Jimmy away for chump change.
Share 49ersWebzone