LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Realistically looking at the situation who is under center 2021?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Realistically looking at the situation who is under center 2021?

Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
"Any QB other than ___ and ___ would get injured behind our offensive line"

Wild conjecture, nothing more.

Perhaps not get injured but be ineffective. Rodgers wasn't great under pressure yesterday, Russ sucked with his poor pass protection, Josh Allen took terrible sacks yesterday.

Agree

The Wars are still won in the trenches.

Rodgers sucked when our DLine stormed him 2x last year.

Imo, if we can significantly upgrade our OLine JG will produce much better results.

That's why several fans are on the upgrade the OL wagon. They haven't done much to truly upgrade the OL. I'd go as far as bringing back Trent, drafting Slater and the best IOL available in round 2 with an under the radar FA signing.
even upgrading the OL, jimmy is not moving from the pocket. easier to pressure guys that don't move with good OLs
Many on list make us better. But we have at least one more year of Jimmy.
No matter what you do / who you have playing QB, you have to bolster the OL. The question is, after bolstering the OL (and, at what cost), what's left to give the 49ers the best chance at winning? If you still have ammo and can upgrade the QB position, go for it.

But, since you have to address the OL regardless, worry about the QB after you have the OL sorted out. I am not a fan of JG, but JG + a solid OL has a better shot at winning than QB X + turnstile OL
Watson is the only QB in consider moving on from Jimmy.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
if he is truly available, then yes he's the only guy worth getting
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
Realistically? Ok. The huge bounty of draft picks into the future required for the Watson trade would cripple the team, particularly as it becomes necessary to replace veterans forced out by the salary cap. Stafford isn't particularly good and certainly not worth the two 1st rounders that webzone inflation has projected his price to. It is impossible to speculate on Rodgers without Green Bay giving at least a hint of the price, although his salary cap hit may rule him out regardless.

The team has continually talked about a long term strategy. If this is truly the case, none of these options are really on the table. There would only be two. One would be if they are happy with Garoppolo and confident that injury is, as far as you can tell, no more likely in the future than it is for any other NFL quarterback. So the entire draft can be used to fill the gaps and to build the depth. Alternatively if they aren't, they take a qb in the first round. Depending on how the draft goes they might trade up a little for a particular candidate who has dropped somewhat, or not. I don't think that the blockbuster trade is at all likely for much the same reason as the Watson argument. We would have to get one of the first two picks and that would be too expensive. The last few years are littered with examples of why this is probably not a good idea. So the sort of draftee that we are likely to end up with probably needs some development time. So we bring him on behind Garoppolo and with the best prospect this summer out of Rosen and Beathard.

My opinion.

Well said. You covered all the points well.

I see JG starting next year on a team with a lot of new faces.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by English:
Realistically? Ok. The huge bounty of draft picks into the future required for the Watson trade would cripple the team, particularly as it becomes necessary to replace veterans forced out by the salary cap. Stafford isn't particularly good and certainly not worth the two 1st rounders that webzone inflation has projected his price to. It is impossible to speculate on Rodgers without Green Bay giving at least a hint of the price, although his salary cap hit may rule him out regardless.

The team has continually talked about a long term strategy. If this is truly the case, none of these options are really on the table. There would only be two. One would be if they are happy with Garoppolo and confident that injury is, as far as you can tell, no more likely in the future than it is for any other NFL quarterback. So the entire draft can be used to fill the gaps and to build the depth. Alternatively if they aren't, they take a qb in the first round. Depending on how the draft goes they might trade up a little for a particular candidate who has dropped somewhat, or not. I don't think that the blockbuster trade is at all likely for much the same reason as the Watson argument. We would have to get one of the first two picks and that would be too expensive. The last few years are littered with examples of why this is probably not a good idea. So the sort of draftee that we are likely to end up with probably needs some development time. So we bring him on behind Garoppolo and with the best prospect this summer out of Rosen and Beathard.

My opinion.

Well said. You covered all the points well.

I see JG starting next year on a team with a lot of new faces.

Yep I think we see JimmyG and a rookie next year. I would expect to see JimmyG's contract restructured and a big emphasis on the O-line in FA and the draft. Resign Williams, Sign Alex Mack, Draft a G within the 2nd or 3rd round pick, and get McGlinchey in that weight room.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Yep I think we see JimmyG and a rookie next year. I would expect to see JimmyG's contract restructured and a big emphasis on the O-line in FA and the draft. Resign Williams, Sign Alex Mack, Draft a G within the 2nd or 3rd round pick, and get McGlinchey in that weight room.

For real though McGlinchey be getting punked lol. Hypothetically if we can't get Rodgers or Watson and we do stick with Jimmy and he doesn't improve or gets injured is there any hope Rosen can become something? We may have a diamond in the rough with him. I know he hasn't had the best start to his career and has already been labeled a bust but hes still a young top 5 prospect from 2018. Could he blossom into a great qb?

Edit: Also would Matt Ryan possibly be available?
[ Edited by 24karat49er on Jan 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM ]
Where's the Scott Tolzien option?
Originally posted by 24karat49er:

For real though McGlinchey be getting punked lol. Hypothetically if we can't get Rodgers or Watson and we do stick with Jimmy and he doesn't improve or gets injured is there any hope Rosen can become something? We may have a diamond in the rough with him. I know he hasn't had the best start to his career and has already been labeled a bust but hes still a young top 5 prospect from 2018. Could he blossom into a great qb?

Matt Ryan's contract will prevent him from being moved. It's backloaded and it's payday. They can't even cut him.
Falcons will probably need to draft a qb and let him learn from Ryan.

I want Watson and bad. I think Watson with Shanahan could be historically deadly. Having said that I don't think the 49ers will think him worth the resources and will let someone else pay to get him. Likewise they will feel the same about Stafford or Rodgers or anyone else, especially since it will take a year at least, maybe less for Rodgers, to get to Jimmy's level of understanding.

Jimmy G will start game 1 for the 49ers in 2021.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

Yup
We Want CARR!
Originally posted by 24karat49er:

My highest expectation is that Rosen can be become a great backup but I don't have hopes that he can be a top 10 QB in the league or even better than JimmyG. And I'm a huge UCLA fan so I was a big homer at first. I don't know what happened to him but he looks so uncomfortable in the pocket.
First salary cap is going down, someone wrote up-not this year and if this COVID 19 continues might not go back up, with that said
Watson 1) wants to stay in the AFC 2) Would cost to much in compensation-rule that out 3) If Houston signs the chiefs OC EB, he will end staying there.
Rogers 1) He will stay in GB especially if GB gives him some help, plus he is GB, 2) Compensation not as much as Watson, but still a lot.
Stafford 1) His only plus is he is not injury prone like JG, he is not any better, plus he has to learn the system.

The market will be steep and I don't see the niners trading the house, that is not their M.O., moving up some yes, when they did, it was not for a king's ransom.

Rookies-other than TL (when hell freezes over), the others have flaws Fields=Haskins, physically talented but still a product of the system, Lance= small school and didn't play this year, Wilson- a one hit wonder. If it a system vet like Ryan to full year before excelling in year two, imagine these college players.

Plus JG has a no-trade clause, he will have to approve the trade to get anything for him.

So in the end JG
Share 49ersWebzone