LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Realistically looking at the situation who is under center 2021?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Realistically looking at the situation who is under center 2021?

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
More important is who is going to be center. Still a very weak spot. Any of the QBs on the list can win games for us while upright.
Would have to be Rich until he's not
Jimmy G
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
More important is who is going to be center. Still a very weak spot. Any of the QBs on the list can win games for us while upright.

Agree. That is going to be a big part of the foundation of the 2021 offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Jimmy G

Thats my guess too. While the Watson potential is slim to none in my opinion, it's not zero-- the realistic and most probable scenario is Jimmy G. Still all those other QB options are all potentially viable should ShanaLynch go in that direction, but I just don't think they will get away from Jimmy.

There is a saying - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Jimmy G

Thats my guess too. While the Watson potential is slim to none in my opinion, it's not zero-- the realistic and most probable scenario is Jimmy G. Still all those other QB options are all potentially viable should ShanaLynch go in that direction, but I just don't think they will get away from Jimmy.

There is a saying - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
we already got the bird. so now we can go after the two in the bush with out losing anything
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

No, No, No. You guys got it all wrong, what he meant to say is who is "under the center". That's easy.

Originally posted by English:
Realistically? Ok. The huge bounty of draft picks into the future required for the Watson trade would cripple the team, particularly as it becomes necessary to replace veterans forced out by the salary cap. Stafford isn't particularly good and certainly not worth the two 1st rounders that webzone inflation has projected his price to. It is impossible to speculate on Rodgers without Green Bay giving at least a hint of the price, although his salary cap hit may rule him out regardless.

The team has continually talked about a long term strategy. If this is truly the case, none of these options are really on the table. There would only be two. One would be if they are happy with Garoppolo and confident that injury is, as far as you can tell, no more likely in the future than it is for any other NFL quarterback. So the entire draft can be used to fill the gaps and to build the depth. Alternatively if they aren't, they take a qb in the first round. Depending on how the draft goes they might trade up a little for a particular candidate who has dropped somewhat, or not. I don't think that the blockbuster trade is at all likely for much the same reason as the Watson argument. We would have to get one of the first two picks and that would be too expensive. The last few years are littered with examples of why this is probably not a good idea. So the sort of draftee that we are likely to end up with probably needs some development time. So we bring him on behind Garoppolo and with the best prospect this summer out of Rosen and Beathard.

My opinion.

This is as realistic as it gets, Put any QB in the league, except say RW or Mahomes behind our OL, and that QB gets injured...early and late...and everything in between. Without escape artists at QB, it doesn't matter who our QB is if we can't protect him. For whatever reason, that isn't in line with Kyle's thinking, or we would have had a string of OL picks, early, mid and late in drafts/FA/ trade previously.

The facts are that kyle likes his zone blocking scheme, and cares a lot less about protecting his franchise Qb. If he were RW, sure, i could maybe see it. But realistically, there are only 1 or 2 of those QBs in the league. With that in mind, we should have been drafting, FAing , trading to build up an OL that can protect our QB .

Frankly, wiht kyle as HC, i don't see that happening, hence i foresee our QB, whoever it is, being just a target out there until kyle finally recognizes that if you have a real talent at QB, then you MUST protect him. The alternative, allowing a good Center and two OTs as protection for our QB fails. Obviously our C was an unlucky choice in that he has missed way more games than he played....and when he did play, he probably shouldn't have due to injury. Worse yet, we had NO replacement in case our C got hurt.

A few lonely voices in the nite have been campaigning for an OL that protects our QB. Basically they have taken a lot of heat for that stance, but when you realistically look at it, those lonely voices were right.

Concern on the WZ now is who to have play QB....when the real question is and should have been , "who is going to protect him?" This talk of Watson, or AR, or Stafford just seems so short sighted, in that our problem has not been the QB ...Rather, it has been who should we draft/acquire/ trade to protect him..
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jimmy g starts out and gets hurt as usual because our oline is meh and he's made of glass. Then Beathard takes over.
If we're going to be trading first round draft picks for a QB, I'd rather they move up and draft Wilson rather than an old QB or a QB who would break the bank. I think Watson is a phenomenal talent but 3 years of first round picks when you could probably move up to get Wilson with this years and next years 1 plus some later rounds would be my preference and let him sit behind Jimmy for a while. Maybe a year maybe 1/2 year and maybe he wows them in camp and they can trade Jimmy to NE
When has Jimmy G had an OL?

In 2017 he took over a line with Kilgore, Fusco and Beadles since Trent Brown got hurt.
In 2018 the only change was Mike at RT and Mike Person at RG who was not even healthy. Richburg wasn't healthy either and played like crap.
In 2019 Staley was hurt most of the year, Mike missed a bunch of time as well, Richburg got hurt and Mike Person was not even hurt.
In 2020 Mike was underweight and played like crap. C and RG were a rollercoaster.

So what about keeping Jimmy G and make him take a paycut.
Bring back Trent Williams with a baclloaded deal
Send Mike M to the weight room the entire season
Bring a FA center or draft one in round 2.
Use the first round pick to draft the best OL in the board

The secondary will be depleted, not much can be done there if Saleh wants to steal them all. Focus on a high powered offense even if your defense struggles, and focus on the secondary in 2022.

Totally agree with the mods/vets posts that unless they get some decent OL, realistically any of these QB's will be constantly on their back UNDERneath Center.
"Any QB other than ___ and ___ would get injured behind our offensive line"

Wild conjecture, nothing more.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Jan 25, 2021 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Perhaps not get injured but be ineffective. Rodgers wasn't great under pressure yesterday, Russ sucked with his poor pass protection, Josh Allen took terrible sacks yesterday.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:

Perhaps not get injured but be ineffective. Rodgers wasn't great under pressure yesterday, Russ sucked with his poor pass protection, Josh Allen took terrible sacks yesterday.

Agree

The Wars are still won in the trenches.

Rodgers sucked when our DLine stormed him 2x last year.

Imo, if we can significantly upgrade our OLine JG will produce much better results.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:

Agree

The Wars are still won in the trenches.

Rodgers sucked when our DLine stormed him 2x last year.

Imo, if we can significantly upgrade our OLine JG will produce much better results.

That's why several fans are on the upgrade the OL wagon. They haven't done much to truly upgrade the OL. I'd go as far as bringing back Trent, drafting Slater and the best IOL available in round 2 with an under the radar FA signing.
Share 49ersWebzone