Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 626 users in the forums

Team Building; 2021 Off-Season Personnel Decisions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,455
Originally posted by libertyforever:
I feel good reading this plan. The starters leaving are Tartt and Sherman. We already have T Moore to start at safety along with Ward. At outside CB, we will have Verrett and Mosely, and Spoon. We can add depth through the draft.

We also have quite a number of guys leaving at the DL, but those are 2nd stringers only. We will still have Bosa, Armsted, Hyder, Kinlaw, Blair...Ford.

Basically will be able to compete for Champions. Staying healthy is the key though as always.

Thank you so much for putting this together.

Agree. It's a good plan. I have a quibble here and there, but they are very minor compared to the well thought out direction.
Great thread, OTC....and you obviously put a lot of time into this.

I have to say though, that I'm a bit perplexed as to why you (and AB) are not for re-signing D.J Jones. I know he has an injury history but when he is healthy, he has been a stud, making big plays at key points in games....or that is my view, anyway. Could I be missing something? Please explain.
Originally posted by davide49:
Armstead had like 15-20 more pressures than Defo last year. Armstead STILL had more pressures in 2020 than defo had in 2019! I'm not saying Armstead is better, but the decision isn't nearly as horrific as you're claiming.

What about sacks, tfls, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, tipped passes and interceptions?


Bro AA had 1 good season in his contract year and got paid. The FO office totally dropped the ball on his contract. Even if you trade Buck you don't spend that type of cash on AA.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Great thread, OTC....and you obviously put a lot of time into this.

I have to say though, that I'm a bit perplexed as to why you (and AB) are not for re-signing D.J Jones. I know he has an injury history but when he is healthy, he has been a stud, making big plays at key points in games....or that is my view, anyway. Could I be missing something? Please explain.

I would like to have him back at the right price but I think the team is really trying to focus on players that are more durable. I suspect for this reason they may let him test the market.

At best he should get heavy incentives if brought back, but I honestly think Givens may be on his way to surpassing Jones, if he hasn't already.
Really well done, OTC, and better yet, you stimulated some thotful posts, which is very rare around here. Most of the posters here were on track , had meaningful things to add and it made for one of the better threads we have had in awhile. Thanks for all the work you put into this. Threads like this are why the WZ is so much fun to read sometimes.

Just wish we had more like this.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,455
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Really well done, OTC, and better yet, you stimulated some thotful posts, which is very rare around here. Most of the posters here were on track , had meaningful things to add and it made for one of the better threads we have had in awhile. Thanks for all the work you put into this. Threads like this are why the WZ is so much fun to read sometimes.

Just wish we had more like this.

Agree. The more we have of the THL's, JD's, NC's, NY85's, Mad Dogs, AB81s, OTC's, you also get the other stuff that's not so good too.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Really well done, OTC, and better yet, you stimulated some thotful posts, which is very rare around here. Most of the posters here were on track , had meaningful things to add and it made for one of the better threads we have had in awhile. Thanks for all the work you put into this. Threads like this are why the WZ is so much fun to read sometimes.

Just wish we had more like this.

Agree. The more we have of the THL's, JD's, NC's, NY85's, Mad Dogs, AB81s, OTC's, you also get the other stuff that's not so good too.

+1. This is where the rubber meets the road, When the team is down and the fans who know which way is up get in and make constructive, well thought out observations. It only serves to make us all better fans if we listen and learn. to those who keep this alive. Especially with the health risks affecting your community so badly.
I appreciate all the kind words, guys. Another question that's coming up now is who will replace the bevy of assistant coaches being plucked away. So far, a snap shot of staff that has transitioned out but not been replaced yet is:

INSiDE LBs COACH
2020: Mike Rutenberg
2021: TBD

ASSISTANT WRs COACH
2020: Katie Sowers
2021: TBD

PASSING GAME COORDINATOR
2020: Mike LaFleur
2021: TBD

While it may seem like we'd had a lot of assistants plucked away, we've pretty much filled the majority of spots. It remains to be seen if we hire any other assistant for inside LBs coach or passing game coordinator, or if we'll just use an incumbent on the staff there. But I would be surprised if we don't find a new assistant WRs coach at least. The one shock that I have, honestly, is that Hightower still has a job. I cannot imagine him coming back when his deal expires.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 3, 2021 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I appreciate all the kind words, guys. Another question that's coming up now is who will replace the bevy of assistant coaches being plucked away. So far, a snap shot of staff that has transitioned out but not been replaced yet is:

INSiDE LBs COACH
2020: Mike Rutenberg
2021: TBD

ASSISTANT WRs COACH
2020: Katie Sowers
2021: TBD

PASSING GAME COORDINATOR
2020: Mike LaFleur
2021: TBD

While it may seem like we'd had a lot of assistants plucked away, we've pretty much filled the majority of spots. It remains to be seen if we hire any other assistant for outside LBs coach or passing game coordinator, or if we'll just use an incumbent on the staff there. But I would be surprised if we don't find a new assistant WRs coach at least. The one shock that I have, honestly, is that Hightower still has a job. I cannot imagine him coming back when his deal expires.

Good stuff as always OTC, will be interesting to see who is the new ILB Coach, also Assistant WR coach, and Pass Game Coordinator. Like you said we filled our holes we lost, Forester for OL, DeMeco for DC, kept McDaniel, Undlin as DB/Passing Game Coordinator defensive wise, also kept two key assistants, Kocurek, & Bobby Turner.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by davide49:
Armstead had like 15-20 more pressures than Defo last year. Armstead STILL had more pressures in 2020 than defo had in 2019! I'm not saying Armstead is better, but the decision isn't nearly as horrific as you're claiming.

What about sacks, tfls, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, tipped passes and interceptions?


Bro AA had 1 good season in his contract year and got paid. The FO office totally dropped the ball on his contract. Even if you trade Buck you don't spend that type of cash on AA.

Agree, Buckner trade was the best they could do, paying AA was the mistake
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would like to have him back at the right price but I think the team is really trying to focus on players that are more durable. I suspect for this reason they may let him test the market.

At best he should get heavy incentives if brought back, but I honestly think Givens may be on his way to surpassing Jones, if he hasn't already.

Thanks for the response OTC.... I guess I'm just paranoid after the way that Seattle scooped up DJ Reed from the Niners. I don't want to lose another DJ (in this case, Jones) to Seattle....they have enough already.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I appreciate all the kind words, guys. Another question that's coming up now is who will replace the bevy of assistant coaches being plucked away. So far, a snap shot of staff that has transitioned out but not been replaced yet is:

INSiDE LBs COACH
2020: Mike Rutenberg
2021: TBD

ASSISTANT WRs COACH
2020: Katie Sowers
2021: TBD

PASSING GAME COORDINATOR
2020: Mike LaFleur
2021: TBD

While it may seem like we'd had a lot of assistants plucked away, we've pretty much filled the majority of spots. It remains to be seen if we hire any other assistant for inside LBs coach or passing game coordinator, or if we'll just use an incumbent on the staff there. But I would be surprised if we don't find a new assistant WRs coach at least. The one shock that I have, honestly, is that Hightower still has a job. I cannot imagine him coming back when his deal expires.

I vote for
ILB coach OTC
WR coach NC
PG coach fropwns
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I originally posted this is a Lynch forum, but it seems two team-building philosophies are starting to emerge with fans here:

  • Find the supreme QB at any cost and de-prioritize drafted talent in other areas save Edge or DL, hope for the best.
  • Draft/Build a team equally with focus on QB, but not at the complete sacrifice of other areas on the team.


As the NFL changes with more of a focus on offense/passing, what do you believe and why? How do you see Lynch and KS building in the future. It's been said that KS doesn't prefer to develop QB rooks which sort of makes sense why he might have preferred Beathard because he came from a pro-system. How does a teams player development system impact their drafting priority?

Do the 49ers see QB and OL along the same developmental process? A quick scan of key starters in both areas reveal they're vets. Even Brunskill came with some experience outside of college.

Just wanting to hear your thoughts here folks from a discussions that started with other 49er fans...

Nice thoughts!

Well, I am old school and always believed Defense wins championships, but the rules have changed. You can hold our elite DLINE all day during the SB and it's called - let them play etc. Its not the same game I grew up with. With that in mind it really takes some serious investment and luck with drafting to field a dominant defense. Think Seattle 10 years ago and even that only lasted 3-4 years. But they also struck gold with Wilson. How often does all the really happen?

That being said even teams with elite QB's need talent around him. Example - Mahomes is amazing and I still pause realizing we didn't draft him lol, but lets not kid ourselves on the playmakers Reid surrounds him with. I wish Kyle and co would add that SPEED. Reid knows he has a qb who can buy time and find the open guy so he drafts speed demons who enhance that trait. Reid's o-line is a mashup, but his mobile and magical QB masks that. He as much as admits that. He compensates with SPEED at WR, TE, and QB. We don't do that.

Kyle likes Pocket guys, but his o-line doesn't provide the time a pocket guy needs so we need to invest in better players or get a qb who can move around and buy time. Also, all Kyle has to do is get it right ONCE. A QB can easily play 15 years now a days so he should really invest in developing young guys.

I honestly like Kyle and John's idea. Run the ball, use PA, and get after the QB. It's really a logical approach, but so far its coming up short and proves regardless - you need a QB who can WIN you a game when nothing else is going right that Sunday or it's simply that part of the game where its on HIM to win it. They are obviously rare and we have not had a good pulse on who that guy is at this point. This entire board this offseason is reflective of that. We know these guys are doing a very good job overall, but damnit we don't have that QB yet.
i love reading these scenarios. lots of thought going into these.

if we're struggling so much with the cap, are there any scenarios where a FA gets signed to the team, unless they are willing to accept the min? heck, i wasn't even sure they could/would resign Bourne. I sure as heck would not tender Mullens, that doesn't seem like a good buy at several million. I don't know how much Shon signed up for, but I think he's going to be the position to opt out again. I'd also say this may be the year that a draft pick takes Skule's place.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Nice thoughts!

Well, I am old school and always believed Defense wins championships, but the rules have changed. You can hold our elite DLINE all day during the SB and it's called - let them play etc. Its not the same game I grew up with. With that in mind it really takes some serious investment and luck with drafting to field a dominant defense. Think Seattle 10 years ago and even that only lasted 3-4 years. But they also struck gold with Wilson. How often does all the really happen?

That being said even teams with elite QB's need talent around him. Example - Mahomes is amazing and I still pause realizing we didn't draft him lol, but lets not kid ourselves on the playmakers Reid surrounds him with. I wish Kyle and co would add that SPEED. Reid knows he has a qb who can buy time and find the open guy so he drafts speed demons who enhance that trait. Reid's o-line is a mashup, but his mobile and magical QB masks that. He as much as admits that. He compensates with SPEED at WR, TE, and QB. We don't do that.

Kyle likes Pocket guys, but his o-line doesn't provide the time a pocket guy needs so we need to invest in better players or get a qb who can move around and buy time. Also, all Kyle has to do is get it right ONCE. A QB can easily play 15 years now a days so he should really invest in developing young guys.

I honestly like Kyle and John's idea. Run the ball, use PA, and get after the QB. It's really a logical approach, but so far its coming up short and proves regardless - you need a QB who can WIN you a game when nothing else is going right that Sunday or it's simply that part of the game where its on HIM to win it. They are obviously rare and we have not had a good pulse on who that guy is at this point. This entire board this offseason is reflective of that. We know these guys are doing a very good job overall, but damnit we don't have that QB yet.

All great points of discussion Cisco. I'm sort of in the same boat and admittedly I'm struggling with changing how I'm thinking about the NFL. Some quick hits on what you've said that I took away:

  • Defense is still relevant even in the offensive NFL era.
  • You simply can't lose with an elite passer with mobility, but that may not be the winning formula for every coach/team/fFO.
  • KS system still features a pocket passer despite the influx of talent on the DL, less talent/prep at OL which means a more mobile QB than we've seen in his offenses in the past (can Kyle evolve is the implied question I think)
  • Running the ball and investing resources ro be successful here is still a winning strategy/foundation on which to build your offense regardless of how talented the QB will be.
  • We might need patience in walking into the right scenario where we hit on a true FQB who can join an KS-configured team.

Please let me know if I've mis-stated anything above.

Nice summary!

Bullet 2 I would like to elaborate: An elite passer with mobility bails out botched plays and creates new ones etc. (Think Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Allen)

Last Bullet: Its been over 25 years. we have no choice but patience LOL
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone