LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Team Building; 2021 Off-Season Personnel Decisions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm moving towards not resigning Kyle Juszyzck unless he signs for cheap. Yeah he is an elite do it all FB but that's a lot of money for a guy who only touches the ball a few times a game. His blocking is good but not great and he is at his best receiving. Think you can get your backup tight end for that role or draft a fullback late in the draft.

Considering his age and money he might command it might be time to move on. Hopefully he doesn't have a big market and we get him back with a reasonable contract.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'm moving towards not resigning Kyle Juszyzck unless he signs for cheap. Yeah he is an elite do it all FB but that's a lot of money for a guy who only touches the ball a few times a game. His blocking is good but not great and he is at his best receiving. Think you can get your backup tight end for that role or draft a fullback late in the draft.

Considering his age and money he might command it might be time to move on. Hopefully he doesn't have a big market and we get him back with a reasonable contract.

Man I think you really underestimate his value to the offense. He was money on a lot of short yardage plays and it was pretty noticeable when he was out in 2019.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wanted to pose this simple question, if you're the FO, what do you do with this team? We have a ton of free agents, and bunch of guys who are injury prone and/or underperforming, and then we have potential coaching vacancies on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. How do you shape the team for 2021 that gives us a best chance to win and still sustain success going forward? I'll lay out my own outline as an example of how I'd suggest responding to this post.

List of Free Agents: https://overthecap.com/free-agency/san-francisco-49ers/

UFA PLAYERS I RE-SIGN:
OT Trent Williams
CB Jason Verrett
CB K'Waun Williams
CB Dontae Johnson
FB Kyle Juszczyk
DE Kerry Hyder
DE Jordan Willis
QB CJ Beathard
C Hroniss Grasu

RFA/ERFA PLAYERS I RE-SIGN (INCLUDING CAMP FODDER):
OL Daniel Brunskill
CB Emmanuel Moseley
TE Ross Dwelley
RB Jeff Wilson Jr
LS Taybor Pepper
QB Josh Rosen
S Marcell Harris
RB Austin Walter

PLAYERS I CUT FROM ROSTER:
DE Dee Ford
C Weston Richburg

PLAYERS RETURNING FROM OPT-OUT:
WR Travis Benjamin
C Jake Brendel
OT Shonn Coleman

Brief xplanation of some UFA/RFA/ERFA kept versus let go:
-Grasu is cheaper and younger than Garland with little to no drop-off, and provides competition at C/IOL.
-Ford and Richburg need to be cut whether it's pre or post-June 1 designation, eat the losses and move on as best you can.
-Keep Dontae Johnson as slot depth and STs help. He has been durable and has been at least half-decent in spot duty.
- While it's a tough decision, I let Spoon walk. He isn't going to be consistent enough and we need a real upgrade.
-While I wouldn't mind keeping Bourne, I think he takes a payday to go elsewhere. Hurd/James/Benjamin compete with a multi-dimensional rook in the slot.

PRE-DRAFT/FA DEPTH CHART:
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, CJ Beathard, Josh Rosen
RB: Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Jamychal Hasty, Austin Walter
FB: Kyle Juszczyk, Josh Hokit
TE: George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, Charlie Woerner, Chase Harrell
WR: D. Samuel, B. Aiyuk, R. James, Jalen Hurd, T. Benjamin, Jajuan Jennings, Austin Proehl, Kevin White, Matt Cole, Chris Thompson
OT: Trent Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Justin Skule, Shonn Coleman
C: Daniel Brunskill, Jake Brendel
OG: Laken Tomlinson, Colton McKivitz, Dakoda Shepley, Isaiah Williams
DE: Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Kerry Hyder, Jordan Willis, Alex Barrett, Daeshon Hall
DT: Javon Kinlaw, Kevin Givens, Kentavius Street, Darrion Daniels, Josiah Coatney
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Aziz Al-Shaair, Mark Nzeocha, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Jonas Griffith
CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, K'Waun Williams, Dontae Johnson, Adonis Alexander, Tim Harris Jr
FS: Jimmie Ward, Jared Mayden, Chris Edwards
SS: Tarvarius Moore, Marcell Harris, Obi Melifonwu

ST: Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Taybor Pepper

COACHING CHANGES:
-Promote Demeco Ryans to DC
-Promote Mike McDaniel to OC
-Consider Scangarello coming back in to replace LaFleur as passing game coordinator or in some other offensive assistant role.

FINANCES:
- We may have to restructure Jimmy in order to keep more of the team intact. It would make it more difficult to move him later on, but the hope is that the cap goes back up by then and hopefully minimizes any negative impact that this decision would cause.

OBVIOUS NEEDS GOING INTO FREE AGENCY/DRAFT: QB, C, OG, DE, LB, CB, S, WR
-Interior OL
-QB of the future
-Pass rusher
-LB Depth
-Slot WR
-KR/PR
-CB of the future
Great post, and I agree with most of what you are saying!

However, I don't like D. Johnson over Mosely. Mosely is younger and has more upside. Also, I like Johnsons size on the outside more than in the slot. We might end up with this as our starting tandem.

Richard Sherman is missing, but I guess we all know he's gone.

What I really want to know is how we can make some room in the salary cap.

Hopefully we can turn this offseason into a comp pick reload.

Players I would like to return that will get paid much more elsewhere.

RB Jeff Wilson
CB Kwuan Williams
CB Emanuelle Mosely
DE Kerry Hyder

Players I am in complete denial that will probably leave for more $$$

OT Trent Williams
CB Jason Verret

I can just see all of these guys signing with the Jets and Jaguars...... Trent Williams is going to get paid bank.

One prayer! I pray Dee Ford has an amazing recovery, and Saleh offers us a 4th for him lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

Same here. I'd like to go a bit younger and a bit cheaper at FB/OW. The draft nerds are saying that there is no Quality Edge rusher that's going to be sitting at our #12 pick in the first round, so my thoughts are TreyDown get two first round picks - one for Edge and Cornerback (unless there is a cornerback that's good at the #12 pick) and go for a OW/FB in the 2nd or 3rd round (or even later).
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Great post, and I agree with most of what you are saying!

However, I don't like D. Johnson over Mosely. Mosely is younger and has more upside. Also, I like Johnsons size on the outside more than in the slot. We might end up with this as our starting tandem.

Richard Sherman is missing, but I guess we all know he's gone.

What I really want to know is how we can make some room in the salary cap.

Hopefully we can turn this offseason into a comp pick reload.

Players I would like to return that will get paid much more elsewhere.

RB Jeff Wilson
CB Kwuan Williams
CB Emanuelle Mosely
DE Kerry Hyder

Players I am in complete denial that will probably leave for more $$$

OT Trent Williams
CB Jason Verret

I can just see all of these guys signing with the Jets and Jaguars...... Trent Williams is going to get paid bank.

One prayer! I pray Dee Ford has an amazing recovery, and Saleh offers us a 4th for him lol.

Wilson & Moseley are RFAs, they'll get 2nd rd tenders IMO, they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
I have not watched many games during the past season, but I would like to know the expert's opinions on 4 matters:

1- Was the buckner trade and the decision to resign armstead the 2 worst moves this team has made in years?

Yeah, I know buckner's cost was a few more M per year, but how can you part with an elite DT, the main force of your d line and a standout who has grew into the 2nd best defensive tackle in the league, for a scrub who only had 1 good season (in a contract year, no wonder) after many many dissappointing ones. Was that just plain stupidness by shanahan and lynch?

2- What is the projection for kinlaw? can he be a reliable starter for years to come?

3- was aiyuk the only good player we got on this draft?

4- why did we trade kwon? his contract didnt look too big (especially when comparing to others like armstead, ford, etc) and his leadership and skills are not easy to find. I know we have warner and greenlaw, but it didnt hurt to have such an amazing three headed monster at lb

Thanks
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
I have not watched many games during the past season, but I would like to know the expert's opinions on 4 matters:

1- Was the buckner trade and the decision to resign armstead the 2 worst moves this team has made in years?

Yeah, I know buckner's cost was a few more M per year, but how can you part with an elite DT, the main force of your d line and a standout who has grew into the 2nd best defensive tackle in the league, for a scrub who only had 1 good season (in a contract year, no wonder) after many many dissappointing ones. Was that just plain stupidness by shanahan and lynch?

2- What is the projection for kinlaw? can he be a reliable starter for years to come?

4- why did we trade kwon? his contract didnt look too big (especially when comparing to others like armstead, ford, etc) and his leadership and skills are not easy to find. I know we have warner and greenlaw, but it didnt hurt to have such an amazing three headed monster at lb

Thanks

1. Buckner got $21M a yr, vs AA's $17M a yr, Buck turned down, reportedly anyway, over $60M in GTD money from the 49ers, he didn't want to sign a team friendly deal, and the 49ers were never gonna pay Buck $21M a yr.

2. Kinlaw has HUGE Upside, he may not be better than Buck, but he can be as good as Buck IMO in a few years.

3. No, Aiyuk wasn't the only good player we got from the draft, Kinlaw played well, Woerner is a solid blocking TE, and McKivitz is good depth, also Jennings could develop into something nice. We only had 5 picks BTW.

4. Kwon's deal wasn't bad bad, but for him being hurt half of 2019, and not living up to his deal, like missing tackles, etc... and Dre made him expendable, the 49ers were never gonna pay 3 LBs $14M+ a yr, Warner will get at least $18M a yr, and Dre likely in the $14M a yr range. As far as a 3 headed monster at LB, I liked Kwon and all, but we don't play 3 LBs all the time, so it would have been rotating Dre & Kwon, cause Warner wasn't/shouldn't be on the bench, and again paying 3 LBs $14M+ a yr is not possible with the cap going down, plus others like Bosa, Deebo, and in the future Kinlaw & Aiyuk needing new deals.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
We'll see for Deebo. If he can't stay healthy again next year.

I'm betting they go WR in the first 4 rounds again, just to make up for the Hurd and Pettis misfires. I can see how this offense is just unstoppable if Kyle has three good receivers to work with plus a decent running game. As for Hurd, two years in a row he's been hurt in training camp. Gotta plan around that for 2021. No guarantee he will be healthy for the 2021 campaign. Still pulling for him, but if I was Kyle, I'd plan on getting another WR high in the draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by alwayssecond:

Thanks

1. Buckner got $21M a yr, vs AA's $17M a yr, Buck turned down, reportedly anyway, over $60M in GTD money from the 49ers, he didn't want to sign a team friendly deal, and the 49ers were never gonna pay Buck $21M a yr.

2. Kinlaw has HUGE Upside, he may not be better than Buck, but he can be as good as Buck IMO in a few years.

3. No, Aiyuk wasn't the only good player we got from the draft, Kinlaw played well, Woerner is a solid blocking TE, and McKivitz is good depth, also Jennings could develop into something nice. We only had 5 picks BTW.

4. Kwon's deal wasn't bad bad, but for him being hurt half of 2019, and not living up to his deal, like missing tackles, etc... and Dre made him expendable, the 49ers were never gonna pay 3 LBs $14M+ a yr, Warner will get at least $18M a yr, and Dre likely in the $14M a yr range. As far as a 3 headed monster at LB, I liked Kwon and all, but we don't play 3 LBs all the time, so it would have been rotating Dre & Kwon, cause Warner wasn't/shouldn't be on the bench, and again paying 3 LBs $14M+ a yr is not possible with the cap going down, plus others like Bosa, Deebo, and in the future Kinlaw & Aiyuk needing new deals.

Regarding the future, I definitely would want to lock up Bosa long term if he's fully recovered. I think you can get WR's and DT's via the draft. DT's who are special (Chris Jones or Aarond Donald) make their impact rushing the passer, so I kind of treat them as pass rushers vs run defenders.

The 2020 draft (I think) was a hell of a lot better than the A.J. Jenkins draft for sure, and add in the fact that Kyle and John got their contract extended vs the HarBaalke regime - makes a world of difference between 2012 and 2020. Makes me very hopeful for the next couple of years.
trade for Stafford since it seems cheaper than Watson. Then call New England and ask if they want Jimmy for a day 3 pick.

Resign:
Trent Williams
Verrett
Juice Check

RFA/ERFA:
Brunskill
Moseley
Dwelley
Josh Rosen
Marcell Harris

Ask to take a pay cut, otherwise cut your losses:
Ford
Richburg

Sign:
Alex Mack (Ask for a cheap deal since he likes Kyle)

In the draft, start targeting CB, EDGE, OL, Nickel Slot CB in that order.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Jan 27, 2021 at 12:06 PM ]

Updated my 2021 Offseason Plan, 2021 Offseason Plan (49erscap.com)

UFA's Re-Signed:

QB C.J. Beathard
FB Kyle Juszyzck
WR Kendrick Bourne
TE Jordan Reed
C Ben Garland
LT Trent Williams
DE Kerry Hyder Jr.
DE Jordan Willis
DE Ronald Blair III
LB Joe Walker
CB Jason Verrett
CB K'Waun Williams
CB Ahkello Witherspoon

ERFAs & RFAs Re-Signed:

QB Nick Mullens
QB Josh Rosen
RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
RB Austin Walter
WR River Cracraft
TE Ross Dwelley
C Daniel Brunskill
CB Emmanuel Moseley
FS Kai Nacua
SS Marcell Harris
LS Taybor Pepper

Pay Cuts:

C Weston Richburg
DE Dee Ford

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert
MLB Fred Warner

Restructures(If cap is $180M)

QB Jimmy Garoppolo
DE Arik Armstead
FS Jimmie Ward

Pre Draft/Pre FA Roster:

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo/ C.J. Beathard/ Nick Mullens/ Josh Rosen/ Josh Johnson
RB: Raheem Mostert/ Jeff Wilson Jr./ JaMycal Hasty/ Austin Walter
FB: Kyle Jusczyzk/ Josh Hokit
WR: Deebo Samuel/ Brandon Aiyuk/ Kendrick Bourne/ Jalen Hurd/ Richie James Jr./ Travis Benjamin/ Kevin White/ Jauan Jennings/ Matt Cole/ Austin Proehl/ Chris Thompson/ River Cracraft
TE: George Kittle/ Jordan Reed/ Ross Dwelley/ Charlie Woerner/ Chase Harrell
C: Daniel Brunskill/ Weston Richburg/ Ben Garland/ Jake Brendel
OG: Laken Tomlinson/ Colton McKivitz/ Isaiah Williams/ Dakoda Shepley
OT: Trent Williams/ Mike McGlinchey/ Justin Skule/ Shon Coleman/ Corbin Kaufusi
DE: Nick Bosa/ Arik Armstead/ Dee Ford/ Kerry Hyder Jr./ Ronald Blair III/ Jordan Willis/ Daeshon Hall/ Alex Barrett
DT: Javon Kinlaw/ Kentavius Street
NT: Kevin Givens/ Darrion Daniels/ Josiah Coatney
LB: Fred Warner/ Dre Greenlaw/ Azeez Al-Shaair/ Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles/ Joe Walker/ Jonas Griffith/ Mark Nzeocha
CB: Jason Verrett/ Emmanuel Moseley/ K'Waun Williams/ Ahkello Witherspoon/ Tim Harris Jr./ Ken Webster/ Adonis Alexander/ Jamar Taylor
FS: Jimmie Ward/ Jared Mayden/ Kai Nacua
SS: Tarvarius Moore/ Marcell Harris/ Obi Melifonwu/ Chris Edwards
ST: Robbie Gould/ Mitch Wishnowsky/ Taybor Pepper

We may not have to redo Jimmy if we can get Dee & Richburg to take pay cuts all the way down to the league minimum of $1.075M, also we could get by without redoing Ward and/or AA. My hope is the cap comes closer to $195M, which would mean only Jimmy would be a candidate to have his deal redone, but it looks like he may not at all, at least if what Lynch said is 100% true.

I also have guys re-signed for camp purposes.

Something on June 1 cuts, you don't get the money until June 2nd, and some have mentioned Post June 1, and sign our FAs on June 2nd, that won't happen, it's never happened, the only occasion was this past offseason, the Bengals didn't sign Trae Waynes until late in the offseason, but only because of COVID-19, and they insisted on him passing a physical from their doctors, no 3rd party. Plus you need your guys for OTAs, Mini-Camps, etc... So this WILL NOT happen.

It would be helpful to have a list of important players leaving under your plan.

I really appreciate your detail post.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

UFA's Re-Signed:

QB C.J. Beathard
FB Kyle Juszyzck
WR Kendrick Bourne
TE Jordan Reed
C Ben Garland
LT Trent Williams
DE Kerry Hyder Jr.
DE Jordan Willis
DE Ronald Blair III
LB Joe Walker
CB Jason Verrett
CB K'Waun Williams
CB Ahkello Witherspoon

ERFAs & RFAs Re-Signed:

QB Nick Mullens
QB Josh Rosen
RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
RB Austin Walter
WR River Cracraft
TE Ross Dwelley
C Daniel Brunskill
CB Emmanuel Moseley
FS Kai Nacua
SS Marcell Harris
LS Taybor Pepper

Pay Cuts:

C Weston Richburg
DE Dee Ford

Extensions:

RB Raheem Mostert
MLB Fred Warner

QB Jimmy Garoppolo
DE Arik Armstead
FS Jimmie Ward

Pre Draft/Pre FA Roster:

WR: Deebo Samuel/ Brandon Aiyuk/ Kendrick Bourne/ Jalen Hurd/ Richie James Jr./ Travis Benjamin/ Kevin White/ Jauan Jennings/ Matt Cole/ Austin Proehl/ Chris Thompson/ River Cracraft
DE: Nick Bosa/ Arik Armstead/ Dee Ford/ Kerry Hyder Jr./ Ronald Blair III/ Jordan Willis/ Daeshon Hall/ Alex Barrett
LB: Fred Warner/ Dre Greenlaw/ Azeez Al-Shaair/ Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles/ Joe Walker/ Jonas Griffith/ Mark Nzeocha
CB: Jason Verrett/ Emmanuel Moseley/ K'Waun Williams/ Ahkello Witherspoon/ Tim Harris Jr./ Ken Webster/ Adonis Alexander/ Jamar Taylor

We may not have to redo Jimmy if we can get Dee & Richburg to take pay cuts all the way down to the league minimum of $1.075M, also we could get by without redoing Ward and/or AA. My hope is the cap comes closer to $195M, which would mean only Jimmy would be a candidate to have his deal redone, but it looks like he may not at all, at least if what Lynch said is 100% true.

Something on June 1 cuts, you don't get the money until June 2nd, and some have mentioned Post June 1, and sign our FAs on June 2nd, that won't happen, it's never happened, the only occasion was this past offseason, the Bengals didn't sign Trae Waynes until late in the offseason, but only because of COVID-19, and they insisted on him passing a physical from their doctors, no 3rd party. Plus you need your guys for OTAs, Mini-Camps, etc... So this WILL NOT happen.

It would be helpful to have a list of important players leaving under your plan.

I really appreciate your detail post.

UFA's Re-Signed:

QB C.J. Beathard - 1-year deal worth $987,500 ($137,500 signing bonus)
FB Kyle Juszyzck - 4-5 year deal worth $5.25M a yr, $10M GTD($8M fully)
WR Kendrick Bourne - 2-year deal worth $2.5M a yr, $500K GTD($500K fully)
TE Jordan Reed - 1-year deal worth $850K
C Ben Garland - 1-year deal worth $2M
C Hroniss Grasu - 1-year deal worth $850K
LT Trent Williams - 5-year deal worth $20M a yr, $60M GTD($45.95M fully)
DE Kerry Hyder Jr. - 3-5 year deal worth $8M a yr, $10.7M GTD($7.7M fully)
DE Jordan Willis - 1-year deal worth $850K
DE Ronald Blair III - 1-year deal worth $2M
LB Joe Walker - 1-year deal worth $850K
CB Jason Verrett - 3-5 year deal worth $6M a yr, $9.4M GTD($6.2M fully)
CB K'Waun Williams - 3-5 year deal worth $8M a yr, $12.65M GTD($10.2M fully)
CB Ahkello Witherspoon - 1-year deal worth $987,500 ($137,500 signing bonus)
CB Dontae Johnson - 1-year deal worth $850K

ERFAs & RFAs Re-Signed:

QB Nick Mullens - 1-year $3.384M 2nd Rd Tender
QB Josh Rosen - 1-year $850K ERFA tender
RB Austin Walter - 1-year $780K ERFA tender
WR River Cracraft - 1-year $850K ERFA tender
TE Ross Dwelley - 1-year $920K
C Daniel Brunskill - 1-year $850K ERFA tender
CB Emmanuel Moseley - 1-year $3.384M 2nd Rd Tender
FS Kai Nacua - 1-year $850K ERFA tender
SS Marcell Harris - 1-year $2.133M Original Rd tender
LS Taybor Pepper - 4-year $4.36M deal, $200K GTD($200K fully) - Only reason it's $4.36M is due to the minimum base salaries adding up to $4.16M($920K, $1.035M, $1.08M, & $1.125M)

Pay Cuts:

C Weston Richburg
DE Dee Ford

Extensions:

MLB Fred Warner

QB Jimmy Garoppolo
DE Arik Armstead
FS Jimmie Ward

UFAs Lost/Let Walk:

RB Tevin Coleman
RB Jerick McKinnon
WR Trent Taylor
C Tony Bergstrom
RG Tom Compton
DE Ezekiel Ansah
DE Dion Jordan
DT Solomon Thomas
NT D.J. Jones
CB Richard Sherman
SS Jaquiski Tartt

Pre Draft/Pre FA Roster:

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
We'll see for Deebo. If he can't stay healthy again next year.

I'm betting they go WR in the first 4 rounds again, just to make up for the Hurd and Pettis misfires. I can see how this offense is just unstoppable if Kyle has three good receivers to work with plus a decent running game. As for Hurd, two years in a row he's been hurt in training camp. Gotta plan around that for 2021. No guarantee he will be healthy for the 2021 campaign. Still pulling for him, but if I was Kyle, I'd plan on getting another WR high in the draft.

I can see that too especially since Hurd hasn't played.

They got J. Wilson locked in, and they have Hasty and Mostert, so their RB corps is solid. TE's should be solid if they like Woerner. So I can see WR and OLine as targets in this years draft.

Thank you for your complete response.

However, I disagree with #1.

In no world should they have traded Buck just to save 4 extra M compared to Armstead's contract. They should have resigned Buck at 21 M in a multi year deal, and let armstead go.

IMO this was a awful mistake by shanahan and lynch. You can afford to have some role/cheaper guys in other positions while locking up the most important players in your squad (in our case, the no brainers are kittle, bosa, warner and it should have been buckner as well). Those 4 should have been the stalwarts in our team for years to come.

For example, ronald blair, he is an average DE, not a lot worse than armstead. With the money they would have saved on armstead and maybe other expendable guys (like the appaling secondary or the group of rbs they had before the season started) they could have easily absorbed deforest contract and have those 4 guys locked up into the future.

They made a horrible decision and now, that impressive defensive line will not be the same again.

On the other 3 points, it all made sense, hopefully kinlaw will develop nicely, but again, we had the second best DT in the league and we let him go because he cost 4 M more than armstead? It looks like lynch and shanahan sabotaged our future chances with 1 dreadful choice.
Armstead had like 15-20 more pressures than Defo last year. Armstead STILL had more pressures in 2020 than defo had in 2019! I'm not saying Armstead is better, but the decision isn't nearly as horrific as you're claiming.
Share 49ersWebzone