The need for Tall Cornerbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by WestCoastO:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by All22:
Exactly. We had a shot at ET but Lynch is in love with Ward and Tartt tandem for some odd reason.

Ward played great last year.

He played better than the year before but I wouldn't call it great he was out of position twice on Mahomes balls and Sherm's 5th round speed got exposed badly. We got embarrassed and the implosion has ripple effects.

PFF says Ward played better than ET
Good for PFF but Ward isn't ET not at all the same level or explosiveness

Cause explosiveness = playing well? Ward played better and is younger and cheaper. Man it's like it was the correct move not signing ET.
He's aged though you can see it in the tacking but I wonder if ET breaks up a few of those deep balls in the super bowl
I also think it's good to consider the type of corner that is needed to defend which ever receiver is playing the flanker and the other one playing split end.

It seems like it would make more sense to have you're taller and More Physical corner play versus the split-end to give him ability to play press and be able to stay with the receiver on go routes

While the shorter get quicker corner plays against the flanker since traditionally that receiver is behind the line of scrimmage giving him more ability to avoid the Press so a quicker Corner can stay with him without having play in tight press coverage

Just a thought
Honestly this team just needs to get people who can cover, and run with faster receivers. If they're tall, great, if not, whatever.
As much as I like the Niners to draft a WR at #13, I see the need for a CB even more than a WR. The only sure thing at CB opposite of Sherman is Moseley. And if he gets injured, we are stuck with Spoon's head case. And Sherman another year older...

Would not be surprised a CB at 13 and maybe a WR at 31st
Tall corner for tall wr. More importantly hand length to get the hands in there or in front.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I want corner backs that turn and make a play for the ball. I dont care if they are midgets.
Even if midgets could stick to the Fritz, Julio or Mega, they can't reach the ball unless the ball is thrown low.
I think we get caught up looking for the perfect 6'2 corner. An athletic 5'10 corner who fights like a dawg can play just as well as just about any tall corner.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think we get caught up looking for the perfect 6'2 corner. An athletic 5'10 corner who fights like a dawg can play just as well as just about any tall corner.

Emmanuel Mosley says hello
I prefer good cornerbacks
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I prefer good cornerbacks

They definitely were good on Sunday.

Both under 6ft and they played very fast

I hope it continues
Share 49ersWebzone