LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

The need for Tall Cornerbacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know Sherman is the best and most famous player for the cover 3

But, since the team doesn't play the same style of defense as Seattle any more and given the amount of success E-Man had is having a taller corner really that essential?

I know it's beneficial in press coverage but since it's not a strict press like the Seahawks often do is it really necessary?

I ask this because of

1) If Sherman retires or gets hurt can Williams or Reed hold it down?

2) Can Witherspoon be relied on like he was before his injury?

I know there's more to this and some parts I haven't mentioned but please as always...

Discuss
[ Edited by SlowDownBoy on Feb 28, 2020 at 10:38 AM ]
Height is just a preference in this D cause it's a simple thought that the CBs are playing on a axis and not having to man up which taller corners usually struggle with. That's why double moves can take the best tall corner in the NFLs lunch money if the QB has time to throw it. I have always preferred the smaller corners who will stay in phase with a receiver and force the QB to throw a good ball for the completion.

1. Unlikely. Williams is a Nickle CB and one of the best in the NFL. You don't take him out of that spot. Reed seems to just be a ST player going off of how little he saw the field with our secondary banged up.

2. Agreed

3. Witherspoon is just soft. I don't think he can be relied on. He doesn't respond well to getting beat. He doesn't want anything to do with the physical side of football. He has all the ability you could ever want in a CB. But his problem is mental and I hope he figures it out but I'm not holding my breath.
I want corner backs that turn and make a play for the ball. I dont care if they are midgets.
Without Sherman our Pass D just won't be very good.

I don't trust Witherspoon and i don't trust our safeties.
The answer is no, a tall corner isn't necessary. It's a preference that stems from Seattle, but it's completely unnecessary. You don't need to be tall to be a good zone CB.

The fact is that most tall corners can't move for s**t. As Hysterikal noted, this defense only asked their corners to play on a vertical plane, so the corners rarely had to worry about mirroring guys across the field. That and having a bigger corner was supposed to equate to a more physical player in tackling and run defense, which at times it did for Seattle.

But when you need to play man, tall corners get exposed by those wretched midget WRs everyone around here despises. And when they're big but soft like Ahkello, the size is wasted.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 27, 2020 at 9:36 AM ]
I'm more concerned about if they can actually cover versus there height. I have no clue how tall Moseley or Witherspoon is. I just know one of them can't cover
many teams want tall CB's because of more & more taller WR's

IMO, w/the pressure our front 7 can put on offenses tall CB's aren't a necessity.

But at the same time they have to be damn good at the position.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm more concerned about if they can actually cover versus there height. I have no clue how tall Moseley or Witherspoon is. I just know one of them can't cover

That's the thing that I'm talking about

Mosley is about 5'10 or 5'11 and play just as good as Sherman down the stretch and at times even better during the playoffs and Superbowl

49ers don't play press as much as Seattle given the wide 9 concept and they utilize

Not to mention Mosley is undrafted and given how well he played a tall high drafted corner may not be as necessary as it was before or how Seattle does it.

If they can have a system in place like they do for the running backs in the zone running scheme that the team uses it won't matter how tall the corner is or or his draft status

The system over the player any day!!!
You want the best cover guy but if 2 guys can cover equally and they are both about the same speed, naturally you would want a 6'2'' guy over a 5'10" guy. Usually the shorter guys are a little faster and quicker which allows them to recover faster after the receiver puts a move on. Still comes down to performance.
We need fast CB's to cover the Legion of Zoom. That was our downfall.

• Goatie
  • Veteran
I don't care if our cornerbacks are short but if their arms were 6 foot long and their heads could spin 360 degrees like on the Exorcist then that would be a bonus!
Originally posted by Goatie:
I don't care if our cornerbacks are short but if their arms were 6 foot long and their heads could spin 360 degrees like on the Exorcist then that would be a bonus!

I feel like as a society we should start attempting to splice dna from animals to have enhanced human. Humans + owls = boom the anti Akello
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Goatie:

I feel like as a society we should start attempting to splice dna from animals to have enhanced human. Humans + owls = boom the anti Akello

I think you are onto something. Lets get together and set up a lab and find some mad scientists
[ Edited by Goatie on Feb 27, 2020 at 5:48 PM ]
What happened to, 2).

?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
What happened to, 2).

?

Finally someone else notices that.
Share 49ersWebzone