LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why didn't we do a better job defensively against the Ravens?

idk why the niners didn't expect Lamar to rush the sides and edges. It's not like he's a middle runner. Oh well. next game . All of this Lamar media talk is annoying a f.
If we're going to talk specifics on how we could defend better, sure, next game blast LJ and force him to handoff and make Ingram beat our DL vs. giving the explosives outside. After teaching them all gas no brakes, it's hard to switch gears on the fly and be VERY patient and just string LJ out and trust your secondary. Too many times a DE, DL, LB and S got a little too impatient or got fooled and gave up big yards on the ground losing their gap assignments. A couple miscues in coverage assignments.

But the rain was the big one. We're a team built on speed and quickness and all gas no brakes going up against the biggest power OL in the game, 3 TE's, FB and a QB who can run better than their #1 RB in the rain. The elements fit their game perfectly esp. in their home and 40 degrees plus a 10am game on a short week with extra time for them to prepare.

So next time, more patience (string out, force action inside...looking at you K'Waun Williams), discipline in gaps, crash LJ at the mesh point and avoid the penalties.

Also, their passing game doesn't scare me. I'd consider bringing some calculated blitzes off the edges or right up the A gap to blow up the mesh point.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 2, 2019 at 8:36 AM ]
I do not think our scheme changed in the second half all that much. What I saw was Harbaugh less willing to let LJ run because he was starting to get hit everytime he ran it. Sure he would pick up some chunk yards but they were not back breaking. I was a little frustrated with the gameplan at first. Than it dawned on me. If we commit to stopping LJ's little runs to the outside, it could allow Ingram to get going. If Ingram got going, their offense would have been impossible to stop. Instead, Ingram had a pedestrian like day out there. 15 carries for 59 yards and 0 td's.
[ Edited by BigBossBosa97 on Dec 2, 2019 at 8:43 AM ]
Gave up 20 points, seven of which were practically gifted by Jimmy G's fumble. They played well overall and very well in the 2nd half. I do think we felt the effect of Alexander's absence yesterday more than any previous game. Que sera sera. On to The Big Easy.
Originally posted by genus49:
You watched the game you should understand.

We're missing some key pieces on defense which would've helped in this game. Ford at edge who is our fastest DLman and someone who could maybe help keep Lamar in check to his side. Kwon who would be a big help as well with his speed and ability to play against TEs.

Key penalties(some very iffy), bad footing for the DL vs the shiftiest QB in the game right now and end of the day we held them to 20 points, missed a FG and their defense made a big stop on 4th down by batting the ball down for what likely woud've been a 4th down conversion.

It happens. Acting like our D played poorly when we held them to their lowest point total on the year which included them getting a short field position for their first TD and holding them to 3 points in the second half isn't holding our D to a higher standard. It's being unrealistic and overreacting to a loss.

Would you have made this thread if we beat them 45 to 40?

sure. why would you even ask that.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
If we're going to talk specifics on how we could defend better, sure, next game blast LJ and force him to handoff and make Ingram beat our DL vs. giving the explosives outside. After teaching them all gas no brakes, it's hard to switch gears on the fly and be VERY patient and just string LJ out and trust your secondary. Too many times a DE, DL, LB and S got a little too impatient or got fooled and gave up big yards on the ground losing their gap assignments. A couple miscues in coverage assignments.

But the rain was the big one. We're a team built on speed and quickness and all gas no brakes going up against the biggest power OL in the game, 3 TE's, FB and a QB who can run better than their #1 RB in the rain. The elements fit their game perfectly esp. in their home and 40 degrees plus a 10am game on a short week with extra time for them to prepare.

So next time, more patience (string out, force action inside...looking at you K'Waun Williams), discipline in gaps, crash LJ at the mesh point and avoid the penalties.

Also, their passing game doesn't scare me. I'd consider bringing some calculated blitzes off the edges or right up the A gap to blow up the mesh point.

I don't think it was as big as a factor as it seemed. The only player I remember saying it was an obvious issue post-game was Lamar Jackson. He said it messed up his passing game.

Obviously, it had an impact. But all I remember most players saying post-game was that this wasn't anything like Washington.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
sure. why would you even ask that.

Don't bother, bro. I didn't agree with your OP, but I think it's fair to question it. We live in a world where Ford is worth $16M for 30% of snaps, Gould "just needs more time" and McGlinchey is better than Brunskill.

Yes. a lot of this.

1) Expected much more blitzing inside.
2) What happened to blow up lamar? The ball hiding shouldn't matter. We're playing assignment football. DE hits lamar, LB hits RB. Doesn't matter who has the ball.

So, you are voting execution. Yes?
Originally posted by okdkid:
I don't think it was as big as a factor as it seemed. The only player I remember saying it was an obvious issue post-game was Lamar Jackson. He said it messed up his passing game.

Obviously, it had an impact. But all I remember most players saying post-game was that this wasn't anything like Washington.

Oh no, this was no Washington game at all in the slop. They are built for power hence why most runs were right up the gut. I think in drier conditions players like Buckner, Armstead, Jones and Thomas inside can beat their OL at the snap and disrupt with quickness, speed and traction for bull rushes.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 2, 2019 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yes. a lot of this.

1) Expected much more blitzing inside.
2) What happened to blow up lamar? The ball hiding shouldn't matter. We're playing assignment football. DE hits lamar, LB hits RB. Doesn't matter who has the ball.

So, you are voting execution. Yes?

I'd vote both execution and a little game plan. More execution I'd lean towards.

• okdkid
  • Veteran

Oh no, this was no Washington game at all in the slop. They are built for power hence why most runs were right up the gut. I think in drier conditions players like Buckner, Armstead, Jones and Thomas inside can beat their OL at the snap and disrupt with quickness, speed and traction for bull rushes.

Probably. But the Ravens would adjust to that as well.

I think this game, while less dependent on the pass, was probably an accurate predictor of a rematch in drier conditions. The overall outcome could change, but I think the competitiveness of the game would be the same.

These teams could play 10x in 10 different conditions and I think the score would always be close.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
He didn't watch the game

lol thank you for this

Ok this makes sense now.

As I said I only saw highlights, stats, and the last 5 minutes.

DIdn't see the first half where we gave up 10 real points plus the gift 7 from jimmy.

I didn't think I needed to see more than the highlights and stats to know we didn't do what we wanted.

Anyone have a link? This is a game I would like to see completely.

I don't expect to feel differently, but maybe the penalties were game changing.
The other team is allowed to play football too. I'd like to come back to this if we see a better defensive effort since Baltimore got on their hot streak for the rest of the regular season. The D played well enough to win. As to why they didn't play any better, little mistakes here and there, some discipline issues, some penalties, but the main reason is, that is a great team over there we just played.

If you lose the game and you bring up weather as an issue it's making excuses.

If you win the game and you bring up weather as an issue it's telling the truth.

It's how it works. Weather is an issue but who gets to talk about it being an issue depends on who won. I'm glad we didn't bring up weather being and issue after losing. No excuses. You didn't win. Time to move on and fix that.
They dropped 37 on the Pats defense and we only gave up 20. Point your finger elsewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone