LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at BALTIMORE RAVENS - 2019 Game 12

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed. Very poor design. Out-schemed on this one for sure. And that's why you sign a guy like ET. He's going to take out our best and only option in Kittle.

ET wasn't on Kittle the whole game. They had CBs covering him a lot as well (from what I saw). ET wasn't some stud on Sunday and you could complain that if not tipped that's a PI. In fact they held Kittle no-stop the whole game and the refs felt the need to call it ever

Just when it matters most. Like if Ward had actually intercepted his.
I think it was Tim Ryan who said that previous opponents had trouble trying to figure out who had the ball because Lamar has gotten so good with hiding the ball. So SF design was to take the read part away by killing the RB role in the play. This way, the second and third levels can primarily focus on Lamar and the WRs without being surprised by the RB sneaking big chunks.

We basically took away everything else and forced Lamar to beat us. Only problem was that we made some small errors in coverage, like that TD pass to Andrews.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think it was Tim Ryan who said that previous opponents had trouble trying to figure out who had the ball because Lamar has gotten so good with hiding the ball. So SF design was to take the read part away by killing the RB role in the play. This way, the second and third levels can primarily focus on Lamar and the WRs without being surprised by the RB sneaking big chunks.

We basically took away everything else and forced Lamar to beat us. Only problem was that we made some small errors in coverage, like that TD pass to Andrews.

Love this strategy!
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Love this strategy!

And if you assign a defender on Lamar and the RB, then you are basically playing zero coverage.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Love this strategy!

And if you assign a defender on Lamar and the RB, then you are basically playing zero coverage.

This logic has been the closest thing to stopping Lamar. We had a chance to win the game!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just when it matters most. Like if Ward had actually intercepted his.

I mean if not for that tipped pass ET could have very well be called for PI, then what? Again he wasn't some dominant force back there at all. Mostert made ET take a belly flop on his 40 yard TD as well

He wasn't worth that $55M imo
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 4, 2019 at 2:52 PM ]

They should have just hit Lamar at the mesh pt regardless if he hands it off. He just reads the DE and kept it every time. I'd much rather have a RB try to smash it up the middle with a pile of DL and LBers waiting vs giving Lamar the edge to run free for like 5 yds.

Imo it was a bad game plan overall. Hopefully if we play them again it changes a little.
They should have just hit Lamar at the mesh pt regardless if he hands it off. He just reads the DE and kept it every time. I'd much rather have a RB try to smash it up the middle with a pile of DL and LBers waiting vs giving Lamar the edge to run free for like 5 yds.

Imo it was a bad game plan overall. Hopefully if we play them again it changes a little.
Don't want to sound like a Homer. We have a good chance of seeing them in Superbowl as much as any other team. And I believe we have the upper hand. Our defense is better than any body we're going up against for the rest of season. If we get our offense healthy I think they're as good if not better than most of the teams we play yet also. I would love to see them again on equal footing. Get a little revenge from that nightmare from a few years ago.
[ Edited by PA49ersfan on Dec 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM ]

And the offense only scored 17 and gifted the Ravens 7 points with a fumble lost inside their own 25.

The defense played well enough.

This.. I'd rather take away LJ because he has more of a chance to break a big run on the edges than Ingram with that crowded middle of the field.

Told y'all Ward would outperform ET, not by much but he did. Lol.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

This.. I'd rather take away LJ because he has more of a chance to break a big run on the edges than Ingram with that crowded middle of the field.

Yep, you cannot allow LJ to get to the outside untouched as he was for the first half. Take your chances with Ingram up the middle but don't allow Jackson a free 3-5 yards just be getting outside.

Greg Cosell made an interesting comment about Jackson. GC doesn't think Bal is really running a RPO. He thinks Jackson is running on called plays. The mesh point stuff is just window dressing to help him get to the edge. ???
Tim Ryan

just because it makes sense in your head, doesn't mean you should be dumb enough to articulate it out loud...lol

that's what he gets for stanning for Jim Tomsula of all f**king people.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM ]
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Tim Ryan

just because it makes sense in your head, doesn't mean you should be dumb enough to articulate it out loud...lol

that's what he gets for stanning for Jim Tomsula of all f**king people.

He made an observation.
I heard him say it and it was just an observation. The rain made the jersey and the football darker and you can't deny that Lamar has darker skin. From Ryan's vantage point it was hard following the ball the way Jackson fakes so well and those conditions just made it harder. There was nothing malicious in the way he said it.
Share 49ersWebzone