There are 210 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by thl408:
Very nice breakdown. It seems too easy to simply put a man in motion and get a man/zone presnap read. Crafty DCs will play that cat and mouse game. I've seen some plays where the 49ers put Kittle/Juice out wide, get a zone read (CB lined over them), they motion back into the formation, the defense switches to man.

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Wassup y'all. It's so much better watching winning football, isn't it?

Many said this game would be the team's toughest test yet, and the game didn't disappoint. It was a tough game in a lot of ways but also one where, aside from the first drive, never seemed to be out of hand and we seemed to be in control. Lots of coaching chess matches going and it was fun to watch.

Offense - we obviously were trying to limit our tackles exposure through the game so we leaned on the rushing attack. LA's line knew from the get go that would probably be our strategy so there was a lot of slugging it out in the trenches. The difference was that Jimmy G was able to convert a ton of first downs in the game on 3rd down and keep drives going.

Defense - they are who we thought they were. This defense is looking special. Able to contain one of the most explosive offenses in the league to fewer yards than the NE Patriots were in last years SB. Each week they seem to be getting better.

Lots of good stuff to get to so I'll skip straight to the first video link and get to working on my next video!

you guys familiar with Oscar from Better Rivals? any thoughts on his analysis or breakdown of plays?

I haven't really followed a lot of his stuff. The hard part is that doing our own review and breakdowns takes so much time with watching the entire game, making notes then the technical side of putting either the posts, as Thl does them, and my now videos that by the end of it, I don't really have time or energy to watch any more, lol. I'll check a few out during the week, just to see if others are seeing things I'm not, but overall it's just too much time.
  • thl408
This is a good vid jd, especially how you highlighted the wide spits by the Rams OL to stretch the 49ers wide9. I wanted to highlight one aspect of the many things you covered in this vid - the way the 49ers slanted, and tie it in to how it helped Solly get his sack.

Below is the first three Ram runs. Like jd noted, notice how the 49ers DLmen flowed with the Rams OL. At this point in the game (the beginning) the 49ers DL is still trying to get upfield as fast as possible, firing upfield, straight ahead - that's usually their main objective. But this allows the OL to block the 49er DLmen to where they want - strongside. They want the 49ers DL to flow strongside. This allowed the RB to find lanes on the weakside of the OL.

On each of these three runs, notice how the 49ers DL fired upfield, flowing along with the Rams OL, and the RB finds a lane in one of the weakside gaps.
+9. Split zone

+10. Outside zone

+7. Split zone

---------------------------------------------

jd showed the opening play of the Rams 2nd drive in that vid, and highlighted how the 49ers started to slant their DL towards the weakside of the Rams OL.

Below is DeFo's beastly play where he stopped the run for a -3 loss. Again, 49ers will slant their DT to the weakside (away from the TE) since that's where the Rams kept finding a running lane on that first drive of the game.

This throws off the blocking angles and helps prevent the 49er DL from flowing with the Rams OL.

DeFo being a monster.

-3 yards. Split zone. Notice the first step after the snap by the DTs.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.

I was rewatching as well and I thought Deebo was open too but looking at the pocket and pressure Jimmy was under he didn't have time to see if Deebo was going to come open - he's in the endzone making a pass, he's just got to get the ball out early and safely.

A couple things to consider there.
1. Deebo is going to be 3rd in the progression. QB's aren't coached to jump from 2nd to 3rd in the progression because the 3rd might be open even if the 2nd is open. He'll take a glance out on the streak to look for a quick win(like immediate win) then quickly move to #2, if that's open, especially on 3rd down, you throw it.
2. He's throwing from his own endzone. There's a lot of bad things that can happen there and only 1 of them good. We're not looking to put up points in that situation, it was right before the 2 minute warning backed up that far, so I think Kyle's thought is, "get a first down and don't let the Rams get the ball again with good field position" not "we can get a score here".
3. He's got 2 backup tackles in and his O-line going against A. Donald. He gets strip sacked it's either a safety or a TD, he gets sacked it's a safety and the Rams get the ball, one of his lineman gets called for holding it's a safety. That's a dangerous place to throw from so I have zero problem with him going to the first open side or even working his "safety blanket". We ended up moving the ball down into scoring range but Gould missed a 55 yarder.
This is a good vid jd, especially how you highlighted the wide spits by the Rams OL to stretch the 49ers wide9. I wanted to highlight one aspect of the many things you covered in this vid - the way the 49ers slanted, and tie it in to how it helped Solly get his sack.

Below is the first three Ram runs. Like jd noted, notice how the 49ers DLmen flowed with the Rams OL. At this point in the game (the beginning) the 49ers DL is still trying to get upfield as fast as possible, firing upfield, straight ahead - that's usually their main objective. But this allows the OL to block the 49er DLmen to where they want - strongside. They want the 49ers DL to flow strongside. This allowed the RB to find lanes on the weakside of the OL.

On each of these three runs, notice how the 49ers DL fired upfield, flowing along with the Rams OL, and the RB finds a lane in one of the weakside gaps.
+9. Split zone

+10. Outside zone

+7. Split zone

---------------------------------------------

jd showed the opening play of the Rams 2nd drive in that vid, and highlighted how the 49ers started to slant their DL towards the weakside of the Rams OL.

Below is DeFo's beastly play where he stopped the run for a -3 loss. Again, 49ers will slant their DT to the weakside (away from the TE) since that's where the Rams kept finding a running lane on that first drive of the game.

This throws off the blocking angles and helps prevent the 49er DL from flowing with the Rams OL.

DeFo being a monster.

-3 yards. Split zone. Notice the first step after the snap by the DTs.

That last gif is another example of the adjustment I was talking about too, look at Bosa's attack angle from the snap. He doesn't take a step up the field like the first GIF's, he launches more horizontal, again, trying to compress the edges.
  • thl408
This is the Solly sack. 49ers continue to slant towards the weakside of the Rams OL.
Solly playing at 2i puts him a bit further away from the Center as opposed to if he was playing 1t. In addition to being at 2i, Solly will also be slanting weakside, further away from the Center.
Rams are going to pull the left guard (to sell playaction), so that Center has to get across and down block on Solly.

The Center's block is tough with Solly at 2i. In addition to that, Solly is slanting away from the Center so now the Center has more distance to cover.

Solly bursts through the block and shows a bit of bend to close the deal.

• thl408
That last gif is another example of the adjustment I was talking about too, look at Bosa's attack angle from the snap. He doesn't take a step up the field like the first GIF's, he launches more horizontal, again, trying to compress the edges.

Yup, they were very aware of runs attacking the weakside. The adjustment to make Bosa run more "parallel" to the line, instead of getting upfield ASAP really helped neutralize that sift block from the TE crossing the formation.
Very nice breakdown. It seems too easy to simply put a man in motion and get a man/zone presnap read. Crafty DCs will play that cat and mouse game. I've seen some plays where the 49ers put Kittle/Juice out wide, get a zone read (CB lined over them), they motion back into the formation, the defense switches to man.

Many said this game would be the team's toughest test yet, and the game didn't disappoint. It was a tough game in a lot of ways but also one where, aside from the first drive, never seemed to be out of hand and we seemed to be in control. Lots of coaching chess matches going and it was fun to watch.

Offense - we obviously were trying to limit our tackles exposure through the game so we leaned on the rushing attack. LA's line knew from the get go that would probably be our strategy so there was a lot of slugging it out in the trenches. The difference was that Jimmy G was able to convert a ton of first downs in the game on 3rd down and keep drives going.

Defense - they are who we thought they were. This defense is looking special. Able to contain one of the most explosive offenses in the league to fewer yards than the NE Patriots were in last years SB. Each week they seem to be getting better.

Lots of good stuff to get to so I'll skip straight to the first video link and get to working on my next video!

you guys familiar with Oscar from Better Rivals? any thoughts on his analysis or breakdown of plays?

I haven't really followed a lot of his stuff. The hard part is that doing our own review and breakdowns takes so much time with watching the entire game, making notes then the technical side of putting either the posts, as Thl does them, and my now videos that by the end of it, I don't really have time or energy to watch any more, lol. I'll check a few out during the week, just to see if others are seeing things I'm not, but overall it's just too much time.

Yea! just check out his tweets. want to know if they are validated haha
  • thl408

I try to listen to that podcast during my commute. I miss the guy that left the podcast. Is that Oscar? idk, but that guy was entertaining to listen to.

I try to listen to that podcast during my commute. I miss the guy that left the podcast. Is that Oscar? idk, but that guy was entertaining to listen to.

If you're looking for a new podcast I just got invited on to the goldcast podcast. I've listened through a few of theirs now and it's pretty entertaining.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.

I was rewatching as well and I thought Deebo was open too but looking at the pocket and pressure Jimmy was under he didn't have time to see if Deebo was going to come open - he's in the endzone making a pass, he's just got to get the ball out early and safely.

A couple things to consider there.
1. Deebo is going to be 3rd in the progression. QB's aren't coached to jump from 2nd to 3rd in the progression because the 3rd might be open even if the 2nd is open. He'll take a glance out on the streak to look for a quick win(like immediate win) then quickly move to #2, if that's open, especially on 3rd down, you throw it.
2. He's throwing from his own endzone. There's a lot of bad things that can happen there and only 1 of them good. We're not looking to put up points in that situation, it was right before the 2 minute warning backed up that far, so I think Kyle's thought is, "get a first down and don't let the Rams get the ball again with good field position" not "we can get a score here".
3. He's got 2 backup tackles in and his O-line going against A. Donald. He gets strip sacked it's either a safety or a TD, he gets sacked it's a safety and the Rams get the ball, one of his lineman gets called for holding it's a safety. That's a dangerous place to throw from so I have zero problem with him going to the first open side or even working his "safety blanket". We ended up moving the ball down into scoring range but Gould missed a 55 yarder.

This could be a pick-a-side type of play. To Jimmy's right is the Fade-Out, like jd described in his video. That's good to attack the flat versus a curl/flat defender, or man coverage if the Out route can win outside leverage.
Orange + purple is the Sucker concept which is good versus a Hook defender. Jimmy's presnap read was man coverage, so that's why he looked to the Fade-Out. Sucker isn't as effective versus man.
But as jd stated in the vid, Rams are playing tricks here by giving a presnap read of man coverage, but actually is playing zone.

Versus Cover3, Sucker can work to vertically stretch a Hook defender (orange). Orange stays with Pettis' snag route, so that frees up Deebo.

But considering game situation and field position, I think getting the ball out quickly is a high priority. I don't think either choice, working the Fade-Out or the Sucker, is a wrong choice. Big credit to Kittle here for reading zone and sitting down instead of running a quick Out. Good chemistry on display here between Kittle and Jimmy.

• thl408
If you're looking for a new podcast I just got invited on to the goldcast podcast. I've listened through a few of theirs now and it's pretty entertaining.

Nice jd! Hey don't remember us little folks when you make it big time . I'll check out the goldcast podcast.

That is the cutup I wanted to see right there... the run scheme they gashed us on in the 1st series... it's outside zone counter trap, well executed... I believe that is our 4-2 Nickel, and that gap responsibility is the NB who gets distracted by the counter flow action and vacates. Fred sees the whole damn thing develop and even tries to tell the NB it's coming his way. Bosa does a crappy job here, he has primary contain on that counter flow and he misses it completely... so what should have happened is that the NB steps up into his gap to meet the puller and cause the gap to close, spilling the play outside to the waiting arms of Bosa.
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Oct 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM ]
.be

Here's the first of the 3 big stops Jimmie Ward made on short downs to go.
  • thl408
.be

Here's the first of the 3 big stops Jimmie Ward made on short downs to go.

Ward with some clutch plays in this game. He also was quick to put his head into the pile on the 4th and goal, goal line stand play. Speaking of which, do you have any reasoning as to why McVay decided to test his OL three times(!) in this game with RB dive plays? Perhaps you'll speak to it on the Ward play where he stopped them on 4th and 1 at midfield.
Share 49ersWebzone