LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
I don't think 'slant' is the correct term for what the DL is doing to defend the runs. They are 'scraping', or exchanging gaps. They line up in a certain gap, but at the snap they change gaps, and that's supposed to screw up the blocking angles for the OL. Slight correction on terminology. jd, thoughts?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
NFL equivalent of snuff film here...

Originally posted by thl408:
This is the Rams longest run of the day. So the adjustment the 49ers made was to slant to the weakside.
Outside zone left (OL's left side is the strongside, also the playside)

All the red highlighted DLmen got sealed off to the playside because they slanted the wrong way. Rams make adjustments too.

When the TE motions over to swap sides, you see Warner make the adjustment. "Hey guys, we slanting to the other side now", because weakside has changed. Rams run it hard strongside.
+22 because Kwon missed a tackle, but there was daylight regardless.

Looked like a hold on Solly there too who could have had a change to make a TFL.
I don't think 'slant' is the correct term for what the DL is doing to defend the runs. They are 'scraping', or exchanging gaps. They line up in a certain gap, but at the snap they change gaps, and that's supposed to screw up the blocking angles for the OL. Slight correction on terminology. jd, thoughts?

I call it an exchange if it's just 2 players exchanging. If 2 or more D-lineman do it in the same direction I've seen it as a slant.
^^^ just two exchanging it's a stunt, all down lineman on the D front it's a slant
  • thl408
This is the 49ers longest play from scrimmage, the Kittle catch and run. Last week, the 49ers got a touchdown using motion to get a LB to match up on Kittle while the safeties were occupied by other receivers (cut up). On this play, the 49ers use formation and motion to accomplish a similar matchup, Kittle vs a LB.

With Juice not playing, it allowed for the 49ers to put Kittle in the backfield and not have it look too weird. Since the starting FB wasn't playing, it opened the door for others to be used in his place. To the Rams, they may be thinking, "no big deal, they are missing their FB so others will fill in with spot duty". Dwelley played some FB, and here, Kittle is used in an offset I.

49ers first put 2WRs to one side. Both CBs line up over the 2 WRs (Goodwin, Deebo). Goodwin will motion across and Peters will follow. This gives a presnap read of man coverage.

But the Rams are playing tricks as they are actually playing zone - Quarters coverage. There are many ways to play Quarters, this is my best guess at the blue safety's read: match #2 if #2 goes vertical, else, bracket #1. The #2 is Toilolo (83).

The #2 does not go out for a route, so now the blue safety's read is the #1, Goodwin. This puts the #3 (Kittle) as a LB's assignment. Oranges are the three underneath defenders.
With no #2 on each side of the formation going out for a route, both safeties direct their attention to the #1s. Playaction to suck up the underneath defenders.

The Mike is flat footed with Kittle running full steam ahead.

The Mike is toast. Jimmy, with a rusher running right at him is in mid throwing motion.

+45. Again Kyle uses formation to find the matchup he wants. By putting Kittle in the backfield, it removes Kittle from being a safety's assignment. No LB in the league is covering Kittle on a vertical route.

I like Kittle lined up in traditional FB spots A LOT!!
Great job on the 2nd down incomplete pass Johny. Love your videos.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Great job on the 2nd down incomplete pass Johny. Love your videos.

Thanks!
  • thl408
This is the other Pettis catch that almost got in the end zone. It shows some good recognition from Jimmy. 49ers line up Dwelley out wide and get a zone presnap read. With both safeties (red and blue) playing shallow, it looks like Quarters.

Dwelley motions in. The red safety comes down to line up over Pettis. Maybe this isn't Quarters?
49ers dial up 4 Verticals.

Immediately after the snap, blue safety starts to rotate to the middle which indicates Middle Of Field Closed - Cover 3.

It's Cover 3. Pettis and Goodwin, both the inside verticals stem (or give a nod) outside, then will attack the seams of Cover 3. Blue safety caught in a bind. If he rotates fast, Goodwin has inside leverage and hits the seam on the boundary. If blue safety safety rotates slow, he won't be able to cover the seam that Pettis is attacking.

Blue safety rotates slow and can't get over in time to cover defend the seam Pettis is attacking.

+21

As soon as Jimmy sees the red safety come down, he knows it's MOFClosed. He just needs to see post snap which seam the blue safety is not able to defend and target that one.

• thl408
I think that's it for this game for me. If anyone has a play they'd like to see just give me a description.
I think that's it for this game for me. If anyone has a play they'd like to see just give me a description.

Just a question.....from watching the game again, did it feel like we used more jet motion than usual? That was my feeling watching live. I kinda chalked it up to using it to help the T and attempting to slow down that DE/LB on the side the motion was coming at. I was just wondering if my feelings were backed up by film.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Just a question.....from watching the game again, did it feel like we used more jet motion than usual? That was my feeling watching live. I kinda chalked it up to using it to help the T and attempting to slow down that DE/LB on the side the motion was coming at. I was just wondering if my feelings were backed up by film.

It feels like this season the 49ers have used more jet motion when compared to last season. But compared to other games this season I don't know. It's funny because the 49ers rarely give it to the WR on the jet motion, yet it often accomplishes its purpose in the run game to distract box defenders.

49er WRs have a total of 4 carries this season (Kittle has one). Compared that to the Rams, who also use lots of jet motion, they have 14 carries between their WRs. Not sure if any of those are WR screens that were thrown backwards (counts as a carry in boxscore).
Originally posted by Niners816:

It feels like this season the 49ers have used more jet motion when compared to last season. But compared to other games this season I don't know. It's funny because the 49ers rarely give it to the WR on the jet motion, yet it often accomplishes its purpose in the run game to distract box defenders.

49er WRs have a total of 4 carries this season (Kittle has one). Compared that to the Rams, who also use lots of jet motion, they have 14 carries between their WRs. Not sure if any of those are WR screens that were thrown backwards (counts as a carry in boxscore).

Maybe I was just kinda seeing it more because I had a feeling that we may see it to help with the injuries at tackle. Defenses still account for it....its a great little item for any offense. Would love to see Goodwin get one an go about 70 yards sometime this year.

As soon as Jimmy sees the red safety come down, he knows it's MOFClosed. He just needs to see post snap which seam the blue safety is not able to defend and target that one.

It looks like JG could have gone to Goodwin as well. The FS was already turned to Pettis' direction and started full speed when he saw JG head turn to Pettis. JG could have easily glanced at Pettis and come back to Goodwin.

The throw to Pettis probably gets batted down if JG wasn't so quick with his release.
Share 49ersWebzone