LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 372 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
Our DL became the Borg after the first drive.

It's nice when our coaches will adapt to the game plan by other teams.

Edit: Thanks Jonnydel for the awesome video's. Love watching these each week.
[ Edited by ToneLoce on Oct 15, 2019 at 7:05 PM ]
Thank you for these gems.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Great analysis.

I cannot see how after watching these YouTube breakdowns any 49er fan would be complaining about JG or wanting a replacement QB like Mullins to step up. I mean I like Mullin's he is a great back up but JG is so many levels above him.

A lot of people do not understand the finesse that JG has in executing the plays. Probably because it is subtle.

Keep up the good work Johnny. You are learning us
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Jonnydel you are a gem.
  • thl408
Originally posted by tohara3:
.be

Very nice breakdown. It seems too easy to simply put a man in motion and get a man/zone presnap read. Crafty DCs will play that cat and mouse game. I've seen some plays where the 49ers put Kittle/Juice out wide, get a zone read (CB lined over them), they motion back into the formation, the defense switches to man.
  • thl408
This was early but a big point in the game. Getting the ball near midfield, Rams hit on two chunk runs of 22 and 14 yard runs to get into the redzone.
DJJones is playing a true nose 0t as 49ers beef up with five DL (98,99,93,96,91). Rams playing 12 (1rb,2te).

RB dive into the A gap. RB is MBrown, 220+ so he's not small. Rams try to quick count, lining up and quickly snapping the ball to try and catch the 49ers napping.

Day takes on the RG and RT

DJJones stands up the Center, giving no ground. This puts a TE on Armstead and that's not going to work.

DJJones stands his ground, Day makes a pile, Kwon in the mix, AA collapses down.

+0
  • thl408
So trying to ram it into the middle of that talented defensive line with some outmatched interior OLmen didn't work. What will McVay do? This is actual footage from the telecast of what happened after the play above.

Same personnel as play above, offense and defense. Same formation.

Same play into the same A gap.

Same Center being stood up by DJJ. Same two OL blocking Day, same TE trying blocking Armstead. Ward sees it, he's got a jump on the play.

Same 0 yards gained.

I don't know what Rams fans are thinking but I'd be pretty upset if Kyle went weakness on strength in a goal line situation. The Rams already shaky OL had lost one of their guards earlier in the game. After failing once to see if they can win versus the 49ers DL, they try it again and fail. And later in the game they do it again and fail on a 4th & 1. That's insanity.
I have not read through this yet. But i have one in depth question.

What changed between the first drive where they could not stop the rams, and the rest of the game.

Did the niners change something?
Rams stop doing something?
Or was the 1st drive success an absolute fluke?

• thl408
Really liked the coverage on this play. I've been seeing more pattern matching from this team compared to past Saleh defenses. Playing Quarters naturally means more pattern matching, which they have been doing some this season (very little if any Quarters last season). This isn't Quarters but 49ers will pattern match the trips bunch. 3Q 2nd & 13
Using a bunch formation with a reduced split invites a slot CB into the box. This makes him a threat to blitz.
Yellow + red is a Trail concept (horizontal stretch). Red + orange is a vertical stretch.

Ward and EMann will play an inside/outside technique. Warner matches the first shallow crosser he sees. KWilliams with the slot blitz (5 man pressure)

Goff takes the snap and looks right. Sherman and Kwon are playing tight man coverage. Tartt rotates to deep middle to reveal Cover 1 blitz.
Ford at DT, Blair at DE run a T-E stunt. It's a 3v2 on the Rams left OLmen.

Warner matches the shallow cross. Ward matches the 1st In. EMann matches the 2nd In. KWilliams a free rusher.

Rotating safeties, stunting, pattern matching.

• thl408
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I have not read through this yet. But i have one in depth question.

What changed between the first drive where they could not stop the rams, and the rest of the game.

Did the niners change something?
Rams stop doing something?
Or was the 1st drive success an absolute fluke?
jonnyd showed what the 49ers did on the second drive to help combat the Rams run game in one of his vids. I thought the Rams still had success running the ball after that second drive though, including chunk runs of 22 and 14 yards. It's just that when they dropped back to pass, nothing good happened. So on 2nd down they passed again. imo they took their running game away from themselves anytime they dropped back to pass, and didn't have patience with their run game.
.be

I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 15, 2019 at 11:30 PM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.

I was rewatching as well and I thought Deebo was open too but looking at the pocket and pressure Jimmy was under he didn't have time to see if Deebo was going to come open - he's in the endzone making a pass, he's just got to get the ball out early and safely.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Jonnydel you are a gem.

I love me some, Jonnydel.
Share 49ersWebzone