There are 188 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Well done!
Originally posted by jonnydel:

It is awesome to know we have coaches that can make in game adjustments on the fly like that. Simply amazing.
.be
.be

this is the next episode after the one above, they're not repeats
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,072
I've only watched the defense so far. The 49ers are doing some interesting things with their coverages this season. Being able to get pressure with 4 allows them to blitz when they want to, not when they need to. Most times, defenses will play their staple coverages on 1st and 2nd down, and will bring out the exotics on 3rd down. Here, the 49ers mix it up and bring pressure on a 2nd & 11. This is on LAR's second drive of the game.

Most zone blitzes are 3 deep, 3 underneath - fire zone blitz - which is designed to be "safe pressure". Rush 5 while keeping 3 deep to prevent big plays. The 49ers here come with a zone blitz, but it's not fire zone.

With Ward deep and Tartt near the line, they 49ers show single high look.


At the snap, Ford and Blair drop into coverage while Tartt and Kwon blitz. This is 5 man pressure, overload blitz to the OL's right side. KWiliams rotates to play as a Cover 2 safety. The 49ers are in a Cover 2 shell with the CBs playing soft.
The short middle of the field is defended with Ford and Blair looking for slants/short crossers. The CBs are playing soft, bailing while keeping an eye for any threat to the flat.


Goff has to throw hot because he sees a bunch of rushers coming to his right. He targets the quick Out to the flat. With his eyes on the backfield, EMann (41) sees it all, the WR breaking and the QB throwing. Emann breaks downhill and makes an immediate tackle for +5 gain setting up a 3rd & 6.


This is a riskier coverage than the typical 3 deep, 3 under zone. When four man pressure can get home, 5 man pressure really speeds up the internal clock for the QB. This coverage has holes in the flat, but when the CBs can watch the QB the entire way, he can attack the flat quickly if there's a threat which is exactly what happens here.
Wouldn't mind if all defensive play breakdowns. It's that good.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

I get that this is the right read giving the defense but with the DE jumping offsides on the play side, Jimmy should have launched it to Goodwin. I think this is something he will get better at with time, these things are what makes rogers great turning tiny mistakes in to big wins.

For now I am happy he can make the right read and move the chains.
[ Edited by spraked on Oct 15, 2019 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by evil:
Jonny (or THL)

Given you get to watch the All22 while most are stuck with broadcast only, how has Greenlaw looked thru the first 5 games from that perspective?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't recall hearing his name called during any of the games. It's like they're playing with 2 linebackers.
Originally posted by AlvinTostigsSon:
Only because Shanahan and Garoppolo made it tough; Garoppolo with some silly throws and Shanahan with his ridiculous play calling. Thank goodness for the defense.

Lol what?
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Originally posted by jonnydel:

It is awesome to know we have coaches that can make in game adjustments on the fly like that. Simply amazing.

Our DL became the Borg after the first drive.


Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by evil:
Jonny (or THL)

Given you get to watch the All22 while most are stuck with broadcast only, how has Greenlaw looked thru the first 5 games from that perspective?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't recall hearing his name called during any of the games. It's like they're playing with 2 linebackers.

With rams mainly playing 11 personnel he only played 5 snaps against the rams I believe. I don't think he often gets more than like 10-15 snaps a game
A pass on 2nd and goal from inside the 1 yard line? When you have the best running game in the league? C'mon now. And the mismanagement of the clock in the 4th quarter gave the Rams an extra possession. That's on Shanahan as well. Then Garoppolo throws an INT from the 1 yard line and then another easy pick six that Littleton dropped and then Garoppolo fumbles in the pocket. Weren't you watching the game? Or perhaps you were watching through your red and gold colored lenses?
A completely dominating performance made less so by these silly plays.
Originally posted by braap49er:
Lol what?
[ Edited by AlvinTostigsSon on Oct 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by evil:
Jonny (or THL)

Given you get to watch the All22 while most are stuck with broadcast only, how has Greenlaw looked thru the first 5 games from that perspective?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't recall hearing his name called during any of the games. It's like they're playing with 2 linebackers.

With rams mainly playing 11 personnel he only played 5 snaps against the rams I believe. I don't think he often gets more than like 10-15 snaps a game

This. The Rams felt better about attacking SEA in base than us. They spend a lot of time in 12 personnel vs them and hardly any vs us.
Well done!
Originally posted by thl408:
I've only watched the defense so far. The 49ers are doing some interesting things with their coverages this season. Being able to get pressure with 4 allows them to blitz when they want to, not when they need to. Most times, defenses will play their staple coverages on 1st and 2nd down, and will bring out the exotics on 3rd down. Here, the 49ers mix it up and bring pressure on a 2nd & 11. This is on LAR's second drive of the game.

Most zone blitzes are 3 deep, 3 underneath - fire zone blitz - which is designed to be "safe pressure". Rush 5 while keeping 3 deep to prevent big plays. The 49ers here come with a zone blitz, but it's not fire zone.

With Ward deep and Tartt near the line, they 49ers show single high look.


At the snap, Ford and Blair drop into coverage while Tartt and Kwon blitz. This is 5 man pressure, overload blitz to the OL's right side. KWiliams rotates to play as a Cover 2 safety. The 49ers are in a Cover 2 shell with the CBs playing soft.
The short middle of the field is defended with Ford and Blair looking for slants/short crossers. The CBs are playing soft, bailing while keeping an eye for any threat to the flat.


Goff has to throw hot because he sees a bunch of rushers coming to his right. He targets the quick Out to the flat. With his eyes on the backfield, EMann (41) sees it all, the WR breaking and the QB throwing. Emann breaks downhill and makes an immediate tackle for 5 gain setting up a 3rd & 6.


This is a riskier coverage than the typical 3 deep, 3 under zone. When four man pressure can get home, 5 man pressure really speeds up the internal clock for the QB. This coverage has holes in the flat, but when the CBs can watch the QB the entire way, he can attack the flat quickly if there's a threat which is exactly what happens here.


Originally posted by thl408:
I've only watched the defense so far. The 49ers are doing some interesting things with their coverages this season. Being able to get pressure with 4 allows them to blitz when they want to, not when they need to. Most times, defenses will play their staple coverages on 1st and 2nd down, and will bring out the exotics on 3rd down. Here, the 49ers mix it up and bring pressure on a 2nd & 11. This is on LAR's second drive of the game.

Most zone blitzes are 3 deep, 3 underneath - fire zone blitz - which is designed to be "safe pressure". Rush 5 while keeping 3 deep to prevent big plays. The 49ers here come with a zone blitz, but it's not fire zone.

With Ward deep and Tartt near the line, they 49ers show single high look.


At the snap, Ford and Blair drop into coverage while Tartt and Kwon blitz. This is 5 man pressure, overload blitz to the OL's right side. KWiliams rotates to play as a Cover 2 safety. The 49ers are in a Cover 2 shell with the CBs playing soft.
The short middle of the field is defended with Ford and Blair looking for slants/short crossers. The CBs are playing soft, bailing while keeping an eye for any threat to the flat.


Goff has to throw hot because he sees a bunch of rushers coming to his right. He targets the quick Out to the flat. With his eyes on the backfield, EMann (41) sees it all, the WR breaking and the QB throwing. Emann breaks downhill and makes an immediate tackle for +5 gain setting up a 3rd & 6.


This is a riskier coverage than the typical 3 deep, 3 under zone. When four man pressure can get home, 5 man pressure really speeds up the internal clock for the QB. This coverage has holes in the flat, but when the CBs can watch the QB the entire way, he can attack the flat quickly if there's a threat which is exactly what happens here.

Well done!
Originally posted by captveg:
Our DL became the Borg after the first drive.


lol
Share 49ersWebzone