There are 176 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Don't take any offense to my own breakdown of this play. Yours is spot on, I'm just doing mine for the reddit crowd and any subs I have that aren't in here, though I push it just about every time.

All good jd. You have an audience with the youtube subs.
Originally posted by thl408:
Don't take any offense to my own breakdown of this play. Yours is spot on, I'm just doing mine for the reddit crowd and any subs I have that aren't in here, though I push it just about every time.

All good jd. You have an audience with the youtube subs.

You could appear as a special guest!
.be
.be

I do really like this 1 play breakdown video format.
Great staff-member-access-only stuff, jd.

Keep them comin...
  • thl408
I have to give attention to the defense. How they opened the game is how they played all game and I thought this first 3rd down was a foreshadowing of what was to come. All encompassed in one play.
3rd & 13
Red clears out for Yellow's (13, OBJ) Dig to work the area. The 49ers are playing some sort of combo coverage, and it's going to look really odd, but I think it's a variation of Cover3.

Mayfield drops back and looks left. This might be an inside out read (orange to yellow).
Timing wise, he wants to start his throwing motion right now. But Buckner flashes in front of his face and gets his long arms up. Warner does a good job quickly gaining depth and clogging up the strongside Hook where orange wants to work.

Buckner and AA get incredible push up the middle. For a QB that isn't tall, this feels very constricting.

This is why I think it's a variation of Cover3 (blues are deep, oranges are underneath). The safety that drops down is often to the weakside Hook zone. That safety often looks to match any kind of crosser from the #3, which is what I think Tartt is doing.
The 49ers are playing man coverage to the weakside with Sherman on a TE, and Kwon on the RB.
So it's it's a combo coverage to each side of the field. The deep middle safety (Ward) will always shade to the trips WR side, which is what he's doing here, and why Ward doesn't look like a deep middle safety, but he is.

OBJ does have an open area, but Mayfield has bailed out of the pocket, which is his fallback instinct when he senses trouble whether real or not.

Landry (80) had a step on Tartt underneath, but Mayfield goes for the high difficulty throw to the TE over Sherman.

CLE repeatedly would ask Mayfield to dropback, survey the field, and find his target. We all saw the trouble he had in the pocket, yet CLE did little to help him with short rhythm throws. The majority of their pass plays where 5/7 step where Mayfield would hit the top of his drop, sense pressure, panic, and the timing of the play was gone.

This was a 3rd & 13 so CLE was forced to dial up some routes to get downfield, but it was a reoccurring theme how often they asked Mayfield to make throws from the pocket when the pocket rarely held up due to the pass rush.
Can we get some breakdown of Jimmie Ward in this game? With him stepping in for T-Moore, would like to see some breakdown of both good and bad.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
.be

I do really like this 1 play breakdown video format.

I do and don't, lol. The hard part is, it takes a lot more time, per play and that really puts a stress on it in these short weeks.
Originally posted by evil:
Can we get some breakdown of Jimmie Ward in this game? With him stepping in for T-Moore, would like to see some breakdown of both good and bad.

I wish I had time this week. Just got too many irons in the fire.

well he passed the eye test on the telecast. made some nice tackles. didnt get beat. oh and no injuries. so, A+..

Originally posted by SkyZer0:

well he passed the eye test on the telecast. made some nice tackles. didnt get beat. oh and no injuries. so, A+..

That long Chubb run was a great example of Ward taking the right angle and cutting off the sideline. That goes house against a lot of FS's. Earl Thomas took a horrible angle on Chubbs long TD run the week before and whoever it was on Cleveland got straight toasted on Breidas big run. I thought ward played above average for sure.
[ Edited by walker807 on Oct 11, 2019 at 2:05 PM ]
.be

The most exciting part of this, is that it can just get better as we continue to upgrade the roster!! Things are looking up but as our injuries are demonstrating, we don't quite have the solid depth we need yet. I'm really hoping that KS and JL continue to fill out a roster with the pieces Shanny needs to fully open up his playbook. Fingers crossed it leads to sustained success year after year!!
  • thl408
Here's the Buckner strip sack and Bosa fumble recovery. Again it will show how skittish Mayfield was operating from the pocket. This is a 3rd & 3 so a good rhythm throw is exactly what's needed to move the chains.
49ers are in Cover 6. Tartt's side is in Quarters (Ward is Cover 2). The area to attack Quarters is the flat which is what purple is doing.

Mayfield wants to go to #11 in the flat but sees Sherman jumping the route and doesn't pull the trigger. (Blues are deep, oranges underneath)

Mayfield then moves to the next progression, the Drive concept over the middle. OBJ (13) draws the attention of Warner for Landry to work the middle. In the pocket, Bosa has been dragged down, but gave Mayfield the creeps and Mayfield starts to roll right.

Had Mayfield stayed in the pocket, he'd be in position to look down the middle of the field and work the Drive concept. #80 Landry is to sit down in the zone - that's what the yellow route is supposed to do versus zone, find a quiet spot behind the LBs. The only reason Landry is continuing to go across the field is because he thinks Mayfield is rolling right. If Mayfield stays in the pocket, then Landry stops exactly where he is in this pic.

By unnecessarily rolling right, the OL can't block for a QB in the pocket and AA is able to apply real pressure. Mayfield could have stayed at the red star and executed the play as it was drawn up. "Exhaust the play", is what Steve Young would say as he was learning to play from the pocket instead of evading prematurely.

• thl408
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

That long Chubb run was a great example of Ward taking the right angle and cutting off the sideline. That goes house against a lot of FS's. Earl Thomas took a horrible angle on Chubbs long TD run the week before and whoever it was on Cleveland got straight toasted on Breidas big run. I thought ward played above average for sure.

Yup. I'd say that was the only play where Ward was on the spot and he didn't mess up like the safety on Breida's run, or TMoore on a couple big gains by PIT and CIN. Ward was not tested in pass coverage so there's not much to say regarding his deep zone coverage.
  • thl408
This week's good example of why a dominant pass rush makes coverage "secondary".
Mesh + Drive concept over the middle. Orange and Yellow will vertically stretch Kwon's Hook zone. 49ers are in either Cover 6 or Cover 3 Cloud (1 CB, 2 safeties deep). It's a three deep coverage, that's for sure.

Mayfield just completed his dropback and there's already pressure by his feet as Bosa and Ford execute a T-E stunt with Bosa lining up at DT.

This is the moment that Mayfield should be throwing the ball, but he's getting sacked.

All zone coverages stretch if there's time for routes to develop. With a good 4 man rush, there's no time for that to happen.

Share 49ersWebzone