LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

• All22
  • Veteran
I love our scheme. Even more than that, I love the amount of work guys like Jonnydel and THL have put into teaching us about football schemes even when it hurt to watch the replays of us losing so much. All that work from you guys is really paying off now.
Can you guys do a quick one showing how Jaquiski Tartt is playing some solid football? Sherman was saying in his post game interview how he's playing outstanding and incredible football. Does the film support this?
  • thl408
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Can you guys do a quick one showing how Jaquiski Tartt is playing some solid football? Sherman was saying in his post game interview how he's playing outstanding and incredible football. Does the film support this?

I don't remember him blowing any play this season. He is usually the 8th man when they put 8 in the box and is often disrupting the run play. The safety in the box is a C gap player in a wide 9 front, not a force defender like in an Under front they used to run last season. So he's right in the middle of things now on run plays. He doesn't always make the stiff tackle, but is in position to. Had a stretch of plays where he was always around the ball in this game. His biggest weakness imo is being in space and he hasn't been tested that way this season.
Originally posted by thl408:

I don't remember him blowing any play this season. He is usually the 8th man when they put 8 in the box and is often disrupting the run play. The safety in the box is a C gap player in a wide 9 front, not a force defender like in an Under front they used to run last season. So he's right in the middle of things now on run plays. He doesn't always make the stiff tackle, but is in position to. Had a stretch of plays where he was always around the ball in this game. His biggest weakness imo is being in space and he hasn't been tested that way this season.
I remember him taking bad angles quite often in space or being overly aggressive and biting too often on PA attempts, leaving a zone open. But the fact that I almost forgot that he plays for us still until I had to actually think about who our second safety was is probably a good thing. Tells me that he might not be making huge splash plays, but he's also not a liability. I'd rather him just play sound football which seems to be the case.
  • thl408
"That was actually pretty awesome," Staley began. "I didn't even know Kyle was next to me. I was right in front of him. And immediately when the ball was snapped, all I heard behind me was, 'Touchdown!'
"I looked and Kyle is walking away and the play is still going on. He's just walking away, I look at him and look at him, and it's a touchdown. I'm all, 'That's so badass.'
"They got the perfect look they wanted for that play, he saw it and it was a touchdown, and it was a great throw by Jim."

Coleman runs to the slot but is called back. I don't know if this was intentional or Coleman lined up wrong.

Coleman in the backfield now. CLE is in Quarters to the field. Blue safety's read is the #2, Kittle.

Juice motions over to the other side of the formation. Juice is now the #2. Kittle is now #3 and is red LB's read.

The only way red LB can defend this is to be turned upfield at this moment in time. He is not. Joe Schoebert (who?) has no chance.

• thl408
More creativity in the run game. Blues are blocking for inside zone left. Reds are leading for a sweep.

Box defenders' keys are all messed up. They split down the weakside B gap.

Usually two guys unblocked is bad for a run play, but misdirection along with Kittle's speed earns them phantom blockers.

3v3 in open space to the wide side of the field.

+18

Thanks man
.be

Check out Dwelley occupying the single high safety so that he cannot come down hill. The safety has to watch Jimmy and the TE coming up to make sure it isn't a RPO. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny comes back to this play Sunday and hit the TE if the safety starts to cheat to run defense.
I was old enough to remember people not believing in Kyle and thinking we should move on

patience is a virtue

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, johnny and thl - great work as always.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by mayo49:
Thanks, johnny and thl - great work as always.

This

It does. He's not doing anything flashy, just doing his job and taking care of business. I did a video on the Steelers game and it was on one of those plays where Tartt did a real good job of taking on a blocker so Witherspoon could go make a tackle on a WR screen. I'll try and link the vid here again.
"That was actually pretty awesome," Staley began. "I didn't even know Kyle was next to me. I was right in front of him. And immediately when the ball was snapped, all I heard behind me was, 'Touchdown!'
"I looked and Kyle is walking away and the play is still going on. He's just walking away, I look at him and look at him, and it's a touchdown. I'm all, 'That's so badass.'
"They got the perfect look they wanted for that play, he saw it and it was a touchdown, and it was a great throw by Jim."

Coleman runs to the slot but is called back. I don't know if this was intentional or Coleman lined up wrong.

Coleman in the backfield now. CLE is in Quarters to the field. Blue safety's read is the #2, Kittle.

Juice motions over to the other side of the formation. Juice is now the #2. Kittle is now #3 and is red LB's read.

The only way red LB can defend this is to be turned upfield at this moment in time. He is not. Joe Schoebert (who?) has no chance.

Don't take any offense to my own breakdown of this play. Yours is spot on, I'm just doing mine for the reddit crowd and any subs I have that aren't in here, though I push it just about every time.
  • thl408
Don't take any offense to my own breakdown of this play. Yours is spot on, I'm just doing mine for the reddit crowd and any subs I have that aren't in here, though I push it just about every time.

All good jd. You have an audience with the youtube subs.
Share 49ersWebzone