There are 157 users in the forums

Niners decline option on Garnett

Shop Find 49ers gear online
yes garnett warrants a 2nd thread. I already gave up on him tbh. Hoping he would be a nasty run blocker but so far he is a bust. Thanks Baalke
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
The Patriots will sign him on a prove it, cheap deal and he will probably become an all pro.

Then the Raiders will make him the highest paid Guard.
Hopefully he stays healthy and plays well this year. We need him. It would be great if he played well enough to start at RG, as another poster mentioned.

They did the same thing with Laken Tomlinson last year. It didn't meant that they didn't want him. They just didn't think he was worth the big money.
Originally posted by pdfortune:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
The Patriots will sign him on a prove it, cheap deal and he will probably become an all pro.

Then the Raiders will make him the highest paid Guard.

Patriots let him walk after pro bowl year and get a 3rd round comp pick
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Biggest non surprise ever. Lol

I'm not so sure. I was shocked we picked up the option on Ward as well as AA. Granted, I think Ward played in more games last year than Garnett has played in his career (that's really pathetic), but you just never know with this staff. The one difference though is that Garnett was never one of this staff's coaching favorites. With that said, I hope we get the best out of him for this final year and then he moves on. The track record is too shaky to commit anything more than backup money to him for more than a year.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I would be happy for a conditional 7th round pick to be honest. See how he plays in the preseason. Kid just cannot stay healthy

Sounds like our entire roster..
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by braap49er:
So is Garnett a FA now or will he be on the team this season? How does this work

On the team but now in a "contract year" so the team loses a little leverage. They could try to extend him now for less than the 5th year option (likely) or do nothing and let him play the season and earn a new contract in the off season. If he balls out then he could potentially leave and play somewhere else. I think they'll offer him a Paraag special and extend him. And count me in the group that's rooting for him to stay healthy and become a solid starter at guard. We need that badly.

I just don't see him beating out Person/Tomlinson.
We should have declined to draft him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Fo Real!

Our Stanford guys aren't really it are they?
[ Edited by glorydayz on May 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM ]

Yeah no brainer not picking up the option. But he is a solid back up for now, and should push persons for the starting spot.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
No surprise here.

Im sure the patriots, or raiders, or seahawks will pick him up.

i'll bet on seattle making that signing.

Seattle was the rumored team of why Baalke moved up to get him...plus the 5th year option. Fail on both accounts.

Didn't you have him in your final mock draft that year?
Originally posted by Lurker:
Hopefully he stays healthy...

Said by every 49er fan of every 49er over the past 5 years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Lol
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
No surprise here.

Im sure the patriots, or raiders, or seahawks will pick him up.

i'll bet on seattle making that signing.

Seattle was the rumored team of why Baalke moved up to get him...plus the 5th year option. Fail on both accounts.

Didn't you have him in your final mock draft that year?

I'd have to go look but probably. He was the best inside zone G at that time and that fit Chip Kelly's system to a tee. It was the obvious choice IF we were going G. And IIRC, we did have a massive hole at G for some reason.

I just didn't know he'd milk his contract with fake injuries for a career. LOL
Share 49ersWebzone