LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Niners decline option on Garnett

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Trade him now then, before we get nothing for him in the off season next year.

That actually may be why they didn't pick up the option. If he's healthy in pre-season, and the 49ers have already decided to move on; they may be able to trade them more easily as a one year rental to a team that lost a guard to injury.

May get a 5th out of the deal
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Trade him now then, before we get nothing for him in the off season next year.

That actually may be why they didn't pick up the option. If he's healthy in pre-season, and the 49ers have already decided to move on; they may be able to trade them more easily as a one year rental to a team that lost a guard to injury.

May get a 5th out of the deal

Garnett + Tartt + a 4th in a trade to Miami for SS Reshad Jones. Would be sweet!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very true my friend, very true.

Let's hope together.

I may have gotten ahead of myself...maybe June 1 cuts lol
I would be happy for a conditional 7th round pick to be honest. See how he plays in the preseason. Kid just cannot stay healthy
Add him to the already very long list of busts drafted by this franchise this decade
So is Garnett a FA now or will he be on the team this season? How does this work
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Makes sense. Has underperformed and been injured. TEN just did this with a much better player in Conklin due to injuries
Let's hope he can stay healthy and take the RG spot this year

Let's not. The guy is proven fool's gold. As soon as he wins a starting spot, 2 games in he'll be injured again and out for the season and now you're f**ked. It's best to move on from Glass Joe's like he and Ward but our FO gonna FO.

are we ever going to advance past... well lets hope he stays healthy. lets hope he gets it. wishing and hoping and hoping that dreams come true usually lead to teams picking number two overall
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Makes sense. Has underperformed and been injured. TEN just did this with a much better player in Conklin due to injuries

Let's not. The guy is proven fool's gold. As soon as he wins a starting spot, 2 games in he'll be injured again and out for the season and now you're f**ked. It's best to move on from Glass Joe's like he and Ward but our FO gonna FO.

Let's not hope he stays healthy and wins the RG spot? lol Ok. Like it or not he's the most talented guard they have...which is sad

Sadly, that's probably true. At some point it's smart to stop 'hoping' for players like this and come up with better options and not count on them.

Well that ship has sailed this offseason

there was no better option at the four pick than the punter i guess
Biggest non surprise ever. Lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Very true my friend, very true.

Let's hope together.

I may have gotten ahead of myself...maybe June 1 cuts lol
which they say are over rated.. just think a year ago we were being told by the niners and homers that.. we have three first round picks so no need to panic and go get a guard.. ok. 2 years ago we were told. hey. jimmy made the o line better so no need to get a guard. ok

Originally posted by cciowa:

Let's not hope he stays healthy and wins the RG spot? lol Ok. Like it or not he's the most talented guard they have...which is sad

Sadly, that's probably true. At some point it's smart to stop 'hoping' for players like this and come up with better options and not count on them.

Well that ship has sailed this offseason

there was no better option at the four pick than the punter i guess

Def wouldn't have been my first...or 20th option there lol. Oh well, let's see how it plays out
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by braap49er:
So is Garnett a FA now or will he be on the team this season? How does this work

On the team but now in a "contract year" so the team loses a little leverage. They could try to extend him now for less than the 5th year option (likely) or do nothing and let him play the season and earn a new contract in the off season. If he balls out then he could potentially leave and play somewhere else. I think they'll offer him a Paraag special and extend him. And count me in the group that's rooting for him to stay healthy and become a solid starter at guard. We need that badly.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Great Thread, if only we had a Garnett thread

Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by braap49er:

On the team but now in a "contract year" so the team loses a little leverage. They could try to extend him now for less than the 5th year option (likely) or do nothing and let him play the season and earn a new contract in the off season. If he balls out then he could potentially leave and play somewhere else. I think they'll offer him a Paraag special and extend him. And count me in the group that's rooting for him to stay healthy and become a solid starter at guard. We need that badly.

Gotcha, yea I'd like him to stay healthy and prove to us he's worth resigning. We need interior OL help big time.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Great Thread, if only we had a Garnett thread

Share 49ersWebzone