There are 423 users in the forums

Wide Receivers: who gets cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,088
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 9moon:
only Pettis - Richie - Taylor will be staying from last year..


I can almost guarantee you Trent Taylor will be gone. The dude is just way too slow.

Maybe, maybe not. I will say that there is no way James and Taylor both make the team, barring an injury. James offers more in the return game and YAC. Taylor is better at getting open consistently. He only catches 7-9 yard passes, but it is usually at 3rd and 6. It will be a great camp battle!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,920
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 9moon:
only Pettis - Richie - Taylor will be staying from last year..


I can almost guarantee you Trent Taylor will be gone. The dude is just way too slow.

Maybe, maybe not. I will say that there is no way James and Taylor both make the team, barring an injury. James offers more in the return game and YAC. Taylor is better at getting open consistently. He only catches 7-9 yard passes, but it is usually at 3rd and 6. It will be a great camp battle!


James never had the opportunity to play that many snaps. But, we saw flashes, the guy is shifty and has a bit of speed plus he can return kicks like you said. Whereas when I watch Trent Taylor plays, I cringe because his legs look like if they were made of lead. You can turn on the film, say back to the Chicago game, sure he caught the balls, but that's about it.

We are at a point whereby unlike the past we now have a ton of pretty good WRs. To cut it down to 7 is already hard enough, but to make 6 we will have to be decisive and almost brutal.
Originally posted by 9erred:
What no one is talking about is who will be the KR/PR and the chance of injuries. There is a good chance with hamstrings, etc that no WR gets cut and a few end up on IR before the season starts. I predict that Taylor and Bourne get a hang nail injury and are designated to return after week 6

This is exactly what I think will happen
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,356
GOODWIN is way overpaid... he doesn't run great routes and Pettis can do what he can..

Taylor fits the Pats type of slot receivers.. don't expect him to do more because he works best underneath.

Richie on the other hand can do both Goodwin and Taylor's strength..

so, let's do the process of elimination.

PETTIS makes it for sure (unless someone offers us a 1st rounder for whatever reason)
MATTHEWS will surprise everyone with what he can do and the fact that he's experienced.
RICHIE will man the slot while Deebo learns the offense.
TAYLOR runs the underneath pattern better than Richie at the moment and that's why he'll be kept.
DEEBO just because he's a 2nd rounder and that alone will get him a spot
HURD same reason as Deebos.
Originally posted by 9moon:
GOODWIN is way overpaid... he doesn't run great routes and Pettis can do what he can..

Taylor fits the Pats type of slot receivers.. don't expect him to do more because he works best underneath.

Richie on the other hand can do both Goodwin and Taylor's strength..

so, let's do the process of elimination.

PETTIS makes it for sure (unless someone offers us a 1st rounder for whatever reason)
MATTHEWS will surprise everyone with what he can do and the fact that he's experienced.
RICHIE will man the slot while Deebo learns the offense.
TAYLOR runs the underneath pattern better than Richie at the moment and that's why he'll be kept.
DEEBO just because he's a 2nd rounder and that alone will get him a spot
HURD same reason as Deebos.

While I really like Goodwin the person, I am less and less a fan of Goodwin the football player.

This list makes a lot of sense.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,920
Originally posted by 9moon:
GOODWIN is way overpaid... he doesn't run great routes and Pettis can do what he can..

Taylor fits the Pats type of slot receivers.. don't expect him to do more because he works best underneath.

Richie on the other hand can do both Goodwin and Taylor's strength..

so, let's do the process of elimination.

PETTIS makes it for sure (unless someone offers us a 1st rounder for whatever reason)
MATTHEWS will surprise everyone with what he can do and the fact that he's experienced.
RICHIE will man the slot while Deebo learns the offense.
TAYLOR runs the underneath pattern better than Richie at the moment and that's why he'll be kept.
DEEBO just because he's a 2nd rounder and that alone will get him a spot
HURD same reason as Deebos.


Bear in mind, Shawn Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which drove Miles Austin to go down to Arizona to meet with him. The dude is 6'5", 218 lbs, looks good on film, I just don't see how you can take Trent Taylor over him. Trent Taylor is like a snail plus both Richie James and Deebo can play the slot already.

  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,356
WELL, I'm a GOLD 49er fan.. which means that I all IN if it would be best for the team...

If Shawn " Bulls Eye " Poindexter is a Diamond in the Rough, he will and should be kept.. but you need to realize that Jimmy The Gift has played with Trent Taylor so he's got some kind of chemistry all ready.

Also, Taylor's snail like speed ( like you said ) should be the same reason why he'll toy around w/diff defenses the way Edelman did all these times.
Pettis
Goodwin
Deebo
Hurd
Taylor
James
Originally posted by Rascal:
Bear in mind, Shawn Poindexter was highly regarded by our scout which drove Miles Austin to go down to Arizona to meet with him. The dude is 6'5", 218 lbs, looks good on film, I just don't see how you can take Trent Taylor over him. Trent Taylor is like a snail plus both Richie James and Deebo can play the slot already.


I got nothing from that highlight clip it's not just about pure speed with Taylor, it's his quickness and ability to get open fast. Different things
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 28, 2019 at 4:13 PM ]
Cutting goodwin will be a mistake just like cutting Ginn was.

Reduce goodwins role to the Heyward bay, ted Ginn run deep threat and he will be valuable and more durable.

Have james, pettis, and the two rookies run the dirty work in the middle and use Mathews for tough third downs and the redzone.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pettis
Goodwin
Deebo
Hurd
Taylor
James

I think they keep Bourne over Taylor
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Cutting goodwin will be a mistake just like cutting Ginn was.

Reduce goodwins role to the Heyward bay, ted Ginn run deep threat and he will be valuable and more durable.

Have james, pettis, and the two rookies run the dirty work in the middle and use Mathews for tough third downs and the redzone.

I see no reason to cut Goodwin either...kyle said he wants to cut back his snaps because of injury. He's not suppose to be a 3 down WR. His speed is stupid valuable though.

Mathews will not be making the team. Deebo and Hurd both do the same thing he does.
Originally posted by 4Tea9Ears:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pettis
Goodwin
Deebo
Hurd
Taylor
James

I think they keep Bourne over Taylor

They don't play the same role. Taylor is basically a 3rd down slot WR. Bourne will be fighting our reps with Hurd and Deebo

You can also say bye to Matthews
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,920
Originally posted by 9moon:
WELL, I'm a GOLD 49er fan.. which means that I all IN if it would be best for the team...

If Shawn " Bulls Eye " Poindexter is a Diamond in the Rough, he will and should be kept.. but you need to realize that Jimmy The Gift has played with Trent Taylor so he's got some kind of chemistry all ready.

Also, Taylor's snail like speed ( like you said ) should be the same reason why he'll toy around w/diff defenses the way Edelman did all these times.


The chemistry factor with Jimmy G shouldn't really be a big issue, chemistry can be built and developed. If indeed existing chemistry was a such a huge factor, then no one from last year's WR corps would be cut. I can see you have also excluded Goodwin, some have argued on his behalf from the standpoint of chemistry with Jimmy G too. I think at the end of the day, we just have to rate everyone fairly based purely on abilities alone if we want to end up with the best WRs that we can get in our WR corps.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 4Tea9Ears:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pettis
Goodwin
Deebo
Hurd
Taylor
James

I think they keep Bourne over Taylor

They don't play the same role. Taylor is basically a 3rd down slot WR. Bourne will be fighting our reps with Hurd and Deebo

You can also say bye to Matthews

I agree that they don't play the same role. I judgement was based off of last year's production but you are right Deebo and Hurd do what he does. Maybe Taylor does hang on. Hopefully his back is better and he can produce like his rookie season.
Share 49erswebzone